75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

I may grab a couple for investing purposes, but I'm going to maintain my old sandcrawler for personal purposes. The new one has a "sleeker" look, but I always perceived the sandcrawler as boxy, clumsy, buffoon of a vehicle and I think the original fits the image better. Just my two cents.

I may grab a couple for investing purposes, but I'm going to maintain my old sandcrawler for personal purposes. The new one has a "sleeker" look, but I always perceived the sandcrawler as boxy, clumsy, buffoon of a vehicle and I think the original fits the image better. Just my two cents.

I agree.  I like the vintage feel of the old one even better now.  I am anxious to see the details of this one, though.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm not impressed to be honest as I don't think it played that big a part in the movie anyway. Assuming this will be produced in the many tens of thousands in several years to come, I'm passing. I also think a 5 year old could've designed it better. What a let down compared to the original.

This newer version is def more true to the films and Kenner / Hasbro toys.

Here are 3 pics of the 2004 Hasbro toy which is identical to the 1978 Kenner one excluding the remote controlled movement pieces.

I think the new Lego version is pretty close.

post-3743-13943235362217_thumb.jpg

post-3743-13943235448756_thumb.jpg

post-3743-13943235550139_thumb.jpg

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

• Like 1

I'm not impressed to be honest as I don't think it played that big a part in the movie anyway. Assuming this will be produced in the many tens of thousands in several years to come, I'm passing. I also think a 5 year old could've designed it better. What a let down compared to the original.

I don't think you've ever thought a new set was not a let down.

Guest TabbyBoy

I don't think you've ever thought a new set was not a let down.

Each to his own, just my 2p worth. My money is on the Mars Rovers & Maersk 3E. Sorry, I simply don't like the set, I think it's crap. That's more for you then, isn't it?

I like the original version, it was an awesome build...that being said I will be purchasing the new version to build as well.  I can't wait to set them next to each other, only way to really decide which set is better.  Sure wish they would have included a bantha; for the price they are charging it would have definitely sweetened the pot. 

Definitely would have liked some banthas and tusken raiders! Overall, I like the looks of this set - probably pick one up for me, since I missed the first one. I'm sure it'll do well after retirement, but with a likely 4+ year life, I won't be rushing out to get many...

---Keep it secret. Keep it safe.---

Guest eightbrick

What do you guys think of the box art? I like the colors, reminds me of older sets like Midnight Transport. Adds a little color to that big brown block  :)

250px-1687-1.jpg

Looks like a must buy for me.  Really glad I started paying attention to Lego over the past couple of years since Tatooine is getting some serious Lego love.

I think the people who are critical of this sandcrawler over the old one are the same people who prefer the old sail barge to the new one.  The older models have smoother lines, but the new barge and sandcrawler match the shape of the source material a whole lot better.  I consider this much more important to the overall look of the model than the fact that it has studs on the sides.

With this and the Mos Eisley set coming out, I'm going to have one gigantic Tatooine scene going on.

I can agree to what some people are saying. There are more investors around so there is a possibility of flooding of sets. I believe this will temper the prices on retired sets in the future. There still will be profits made but not as much as on the Taj Mahal or Eiffel Tower. I believe these were less produced at the time and they were not available in all shops and had less lifetime. Now you see that every self-respecting town has its own lego-shop with exclusive sets. Years ago that was absolutely not the case. However, do not forget. There is still an economic crisis going on (especially in Europe). Alot of people simply cannot afford to buy lego, let alone those expensive sets! They would like to, but they can't! When the economy will go better in the coming years people will have jobs and more money on their hands and buy the good old exclusive classics. So I believe there are chances there. In this regard it is a must that lego retires SSD and DS. Otherwise people will have to many choices on the retail market and not buy our older retired sets. I just hope the new generations will stay interested in Lego. When I look around I see alot of kids who do not care for lego. They are to much into their smart phones and computer games. This I believe is the biggest thread to us lego investors. My advice: If you have money laying around... buy and invest in the bigger exclusive sets. And flip some medium sets in between to cover a bit for your investments done.

• Like 2