10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 07/08/2017 at 4:01 PM, thebluewizard said:

Looking at the action on the Dutch version of ebay, i'm glad I didn't buy this one. Way too long on the market and not enough interest after retirement.

And i'm happy that i have nice number of them. Great set and price grow slowly but surely.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

According to Bricklink price guide 177 were sold in the last six months and there are over 1500 currently for sale. That's around four years of supply if it keeps selling at that rate.

Don´t worry, there will still be 1500 for sale in four years as folk like me haven´t listed yet.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter how many there are. What matters is how many of that number is made up of people who read an article in the Telegraph, thought they could double their money in three months, and are now cutting and running after realising that it was all a bunch of BS. There is still over 500 GEs on Bricklink too (2.5 yrs supply), but they still did OK.

I had a feeling this was going to happen with PS so even when I saw them on offer I decided to pass on them.

Even so with a buy-in possible at £95 in UK and current sale price on eBay circa £165 I'd be disappointed if i had bought in, but wouldn't class it as a failure.  That title is reserved for my "just break even" 75106's

1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

I dodged a bullet on this a bit, ended up with 3, but had more reserved and last minute changed my mind and bought Indominus Rex instead, who would have thought that Dinosaur would have trumped Pet Shop.

Well, Pet Shop was a bit of a dinosaur at almost 5 years on the market. I guess that makes Tower Bridge a home run.

On 7.11.2017 at 9:47 PM, Haay said:

But as long as there are a few idiots offering the set for €165 - €170, it's not going to move up. 

I wouldn't call them idiots just because they evaluate the outlook of Pet Shop's aftermarket price differently than you. Personally, I decided earlier this year to not have Pet Shops tie up capital anymore and cut my losses; freed up valuable space, too.

1 minute ago, Brian Briggs said:

I wouldn't call them idiots just because they evaluate the outlook of Pet Shop's aftermarket price differently than you. Personally, I decided earlier this year to not have Pet Shops tie up capital anymore and cut my losses; freed up valuable space, too.

I decided even earlier then you, not to buy any of them but one for my personal collection... ?

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

I've heard of people who have bought Pet Shops from the CZ outlet with some "inside help" and paid around £50 each for them, under half RRP. No wonder some are still being sold off cheap, it's called... er... um... competition? I paid close to RRP for mine and happy to sell at a small loss to get rid and the money that I've had back from them has already gone on to greater things. Modulars are done I think unless you find a bargain.

Good points, @Brian Briggs and @TabbyBoy. Just because my buy-in was around 20% discount doesn't mean there aren't many others who got it much much cheaper and are happy to now sell them off and move their money to more interesting sets.

Pet Shop was looking to be retiring late 2015, when I had just come out of my Lego Dark Ages, and I was scared I was going to miss out on the set. So I was already happy to not have paid full RRP for it. And then it didn't retire but lingered on until late 2016. :P  Oh well, we all made some beginner's mistake. Like it or not. ;) 

On 19.11.2017 at 9:17 PM, Haay said:

Good points, @Brian Briggs and @TabbyBoy. Just because my buy-in was around 20% discount doesn't mean there aren't many others who got it much much cheaper and are happy to now sell them off and move their money to more interesting sets.

Pet Shop was looking to be retiring late 2015, when I had just come out of my Lego Dark Ages, and I was scared I was going to miss out on the set. So I was already happy to not have paid full RRP for it. And then it didn't retire but lingered on until late 2016. :P  Oh well, we all made some beginner's mistake. Like it or not. ;) 

You're not alone there. Back in early 2015 I wasn't even sure Pet Shop would make it to the 2nd half of the the year. Town Hall retiring out of order made me suspicious in that regard. So I stocked up on the set. After holding them for more than 2 years I just let them go.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

So nobody has missed out on buying a Pet Shop then? It's still very available at around RRP, in the UK at least.

Edited by TabbyBoy