10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

A lot don't realise that the Pet Shop separates into 2 parts unlike other modulars. I think this works in it's favour so, I'm topping up on these too. My gut tells me this disappears along with the Grand Emporium or very soon after

yes, being able to separate into 2 buildings makes me want it more...can change some tiles/bricks to turn the store into something else. I would love to have two petshops to separate for when I eventually do a modular city Street.

in April 2x VIP, I will aim for GE, PS + TB just to cover some bases :)

A lot don't realise that the Pet Shop separates into 2 parts unlike other modulars. I think this works in it's favour so, I'm topping up on these too. My gut tells me this disappears along with the Grand Emporium or very soon after

Random rant, I would love to see another official modular release similar to the Pet Shop in the aspect of being two small buildings beside one another if anything just for keeping some way of obtaining a couple of 16x32 baseplates seeing how increasingly difficult those will be to come by in the future. Back on the subject, if Grand Emporium retires at the end of this year then it should be Pet Shop's turn by the close of the next.

just my humble opinion but I don't think Lego will retire a set (town hall) that's about two years newer than a modular still available no matter how 'poorly' TH is assumed to be performing. I think they will give it more time to sell. but I guess anything can happen.

How old was the B wing before it was discontinued? 7 Months? How many of us were blindsided by the Winter Village Post Office being discontinued after 2 years instead of 3 like the prior 2 WV sets?

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that you never know when a set will go. I think it is a real possibility that the PS could go before the GE if they receive similar reception among AFOL's as they do investors. The PS is fine but does not have quite the excitement around it as the GE. As for the Town Hall, who knows, it is still two years old, I wish I had some in my collection now even though it could be a while before it goes. 

How old was the B wing before it was discontinued? 7 Months? How many of us were blindsided by the Winter Village Post Office being discontinued after 2 years instead of 3 like the prior 2 WV sets?

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that you never know when a set will go. I think it is a real possibility that the PS could go before the GE if they receive similar reception among AFOL's as they do investors. The PS is fine but does not have quite the excitement around it as the GE. As for the Town Hall, who knows, it is still two years old, I wish I had some in my collection now even though it could be a while before it goes. 

This makes sense. And also if Lego retires Pet Shop they would win a big battle against the investors. I think Pet Shop is not stocked up as much as GE. I have only one pet shop and I have build it.

However, I think GE is done and over with. I see alot of signs that that is the case.

Take a look at the back of the Parisian Resturant box. It shows Town Hall and Palace Cinema but no GE or PS. I think both GE and PS are done by the end of 2014.

What does that prove besides how much can be fit onto the back of a box? It isn't any different than not having a set show up in the year's catalog. Besides, the past modulars have the same pattern with displaying two older buildings right next to the included build on the back of the box so why would this be any different?

6a06_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! I just started to build my Pet Shop! I've been waiting a while until I had the shelf space but now that I do, time to give the kitties and doggies a home! ;) For those of you who have built it, where does it rank in your favorite modular buildings as far as a build is concerned?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

the build was more on the easy side of the scale.  not repetitive or overly complex.  the end result is my 2nd favorite behind PR

Guest davewager78

Top of my list! Although it is the only one i've built.

Interested to understand the play value of these. As they're minifg scale, our kids are all over them. I wonder why they don't just make them with open backs so you can access everything without taking the floors off. We end up with a table full of the different floors laid out - not a building any more

Working on Palace Cinema now

Nr. 1.

What I love about it is a) lots of detail B) the fact that the two buildings are different means very few repetitive parts and c) the look when finished.

But I have to say all modulars are excellent builds. Probably my least favourites are Grand Emporium and Palace Cinema which I would only give a 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

Interested to understand the play value of these. As they're minifg scale, our kids are all over them. I wonder why they don't just make them with open backs so you can access everything without taking the floors off.

I think you're missing the point.   The Modular building series was conceived specifically with AFOLs (A= adult) in mind.  The emphasis was always on realism (hence the finished backs).  

• Like 1

I think you're missing the point. The Modular building series was conceived specifically with AFOLs (A= adult) in mind. The emphasis was always on realism (hence the finished backs).

I feel what they did was almost necessary to generate a large enough AFOL crowd. To me personally, I would have liked to have seen the sets open up like the HH or SH, but hey, that's a flaw that I'm alright with, and in some sets you just couldn't of done somethings because of the hinge bricks would have gotten in the way.

Top of my list! Although it is the only one i've built.

Interested to understand the play value of these. As they're minifg scale, our kids are all over them. I wonder why they don't just make them with open backs so you can access everything without taking the floors off. We end up with a table full of the different floors laid out - not a building any more

Working on Palace Cinema now

Besides being for AFOLs, people who don't play with them a lot are probably like me and hate when they open up most of the time. I like them to be solid.

Interested to understand the play value of these. As they're minifg scale, our kids are all over them. I wonder why they don't just make them with open backs so you can access everything without taking the floors off.

I personally don't care for the builds that swing open for play even when I was a kid and my hands were smaller. Okay, admittedly I did have fun with most of the ones that did as a child but those were usually small designs to start with unlike something such as the Haunted House which has very deep floors therefore making things rather difficult to place anything in there let alone trying to move the characters around. Another problem aside from lack of hand room is the amount of space needed for the wall section to swing open completely for access. You can't have anything sitting right next to the build just because of that need for clearance.

In my opinion the removable floors provide easier access to the rooms therein much better than the walls that open up like a storybook approach. I understand you need space to place the floors down on whenever you want to go inside the building but that just seems easier to work with than the other way of clearing the space around the thing to swing it open.

Guest davewager78

I never suggested swing open backs, just open. I still don't understand the point. I would prefer either solid buildings with no openings, or floors to be removed, or something where you constantly had access to inside. Maybe i'm looking for more of a display type building, like a MOC street built such that the front details are the only real area of interest. I just don't like the look of the floors spread out on my table - where's my building gone?!

Each to their own i suppose

I wonder why they don't just make them with open backs so you can access everything without taking the floors off.

Please no. You are always free to just leave off parts when you want, but I would rather have a complete building to look at (and not play with).

Guest davewager78

As per pic's above, that is indeed what i was getting at. Welcome to my next few days. Hopefully enough 1 x 1 bricks in the right colours

Strength can be sorted easily with a few extra strips of plate

Of course Lego know what they're about when designing the sets. I should keep my crazy thoughts to myself  :shifty:

Guest davewager78

Please no. You are always free to just leave off parts when you want, but I would rather have a complete building to look at (and not play with).

I guess i prefer the building intact, but then i wonder what the point of the interior fittings is. For example the Pet Shop itself - lots of pet stuff, but can't see it without spoiling the whole building

I never suggested swing open backs, just open. I still don't understand the point. I would prefer either solid buildings with no openings, or floors to be removed, or something where you constantly had access to inside. Maybe i'm looking for more of a display type building, like a MOC street built such that the front details are the only real area of interest. I just don't like the look of the floors spread out on my table - where's my building gone?!

Each to their own i suppose

I personally don't care for the builds that swing open for play even when I was a kid and my hands were smaller. Okay, admittedly I did have fun with most of the ones that did as a child but those were usually small designs to start with unlike something such as the Haunted House which has very deep floors therefore making things rather difficult to place anything in there let alone trying to move the characters around. Another problem aside from lack of hand room is the amount of space needed for the wall section to swing open completely for access. You can't have anything sitting right next to the build just because of that need for clearance.

In my opinion the removable floors provide easier access to the rooms therein much better than the walls that open up like a storybook approach. I understand you need space to place the floors down on whenever you want to go inside the building but that just seems easier to work with than the other way of clearing the space around the thing to swing it open.

If I had to choose between the hinges or the floors I would probably go with the floors. That required hinge clearance kind of bothers me like city codes when building a brand new house. "Curb, gutter and sidewalk for how much?" In some of my custom city builds im reaching through the front door with one finger and through the side window with the other finger just to place minifigures in a room. I don't have the hinges or floors to deal with but if I finally get Papa-bear all situated for dinner and forget to put the fork on his hands; he's eating with his hands. I'm a little suprised The Lego Group has not come up with some device to enhance play in the deeper floor sets and sets with a lot of inner detail (like the PR modular). Maybe some long tweezers with rubber grips fitted for minifig torsos. The next generation of micro-surgeons would be closet brickpickers...