10235 - Winter Village Market

Huskers1236

• 3 months later...

Bumping thread.

EOL imminent by end of Holiday season? Most major retailers are OOS aside from Lego S@H... Will this set keep with the recent trend of winter themed sets ,retiring after 2 winter cycles or will it buck the trend?

For most it is not the most appealing of sets, but a definite MUST have for any Winter Village collector.

Thoughts?

Bumping thread.

EOL imminent by end of Holiday season? Most major retailers are OOS aside from Lego LEGO Shop at Home... Will this set keep with the recent trend of winter themed sets ,retiring after 2 winter cycles or will it buck the trend?

For most it is not the most appealing of sets, but a definite MUST have for any Winter Village collector.

Thoughts?

Maybe someone in Europe could check with LEGO Shop at Home again? If it really retired in Europe, then chances are high for retirement in US. 

well, last year xmas 2013 was when i thought to myself i will get the cottage right after xmas because of discounts ... all B&M lego stores were stocked full of these ... as the xmas season progressed they sold out quickly ... i waited and i lost ... no more cottages in sight ... waited for a restock before the new year and it didnt come ... next thing you know, it is retired!!!

ive learned my lesson ... people, dont wait ... if you want the market, get it now because all signs point to it not being here next year!

Lego seems to be rethinking how they present the Winter Village theme.  It used to like the modular buildings, where multiple sets were kept in production simultaneously.  Now, it seems to be moving toward a "one set at a time" theme with short (~1 year) production runs.  WVC didn't even make it to Christmas last year, and for the Market to retire in late summer is just bizarre.  It's hard to understand, since I would think the sets actually support one another.  I could easily imagine people buying more than one (different) set at a time, so they could actually build a village.  Now the only folks who have actual villages are those who make sure to buy each set the year it's released, or are willing to pay double (or triple) MSRP to pick it up later.

I picked up 5 WVM at Shop at Home back in August.  I didn't want to take any chances.

Me neither. I'm up to 70 of these...would like to get 100 before they retire, but they are getting harder to come by now. Besides Lego...Target, TRU, and Amamzon have been getting them occasionally, but they don't seem to last too long. I personally like this set a lot. I think it's a good piece count for the price, and they are pretty nice pieces. I love the mini carousel! I'm pretty sure this should retire in the US this Christmas.

• Like 2

Lego seems to be rethinking how they present the Winter Village theme.  It used to like the modular buildings, where multiple sets were kept in production simultaneously.  Now, it seems to be moving toward a "one set at a time" theme with short (~1 year) production runs.  WVC didn't even make it to Christmas last year, and for the Market to retire in late summer is just bizarre.  It's hard to understand, since I would think the sets actually support one another.  I could easily imagine people buying more than one (different) set at a time, so they could actually build a village.  Now the only folks who have actual villages are those who make sure to buy each set the year it's released, or are willing to pay double (or triple) MSRP to pick it up later.

Well, FWIW, and referring only to the LEGO Shop at Home EU market, the Post Office and the Cottage were available only from October to January for two years, so you'd only have 2 WV sets available at a time, current and last year's release.

Having said that, and not remembering if the Cottage was labeled as 'Retired' between January and October 2013, I'm waiting and hoping for Lego to bring back the Market in October, even when it is currently labeled as 'Retired', and have it available along the Workshop. After seeing it available from a local shop, I think that it has a fair chance of coming back, at least to the EU.

Strange.  You don't celebrate Halloween, do you?

I've been living in Spain for the last 30 months, so I've been in the last 2 Halloweens, can't talk about previous years but form what I've seen, the celebration is catching up. Kids 'trick or treat'-ing, adults in costumes, the whole nine yards.

And that bat is available to all of the EU, not just Spain.

The WVM story is one of the most interesting. WVM retired in Europe immediately after the new year, so just after 3 months! In all shop@home pages in Europe is from January a notice "retired" - not "temporary out of stock", or "sold out" or "retiring soon" etc. I made some panic buys of this set for high MSRP price in February, thought that "retired" message is clear and the price can go extremly higher (for example, Zombies went to EOL after longer period and the price after several weeks after EOL the price was more than double). But in the US is this set available the whole year! Cannot understand what is going on. All scenarios are non-standard:

1) if this set is really retired, why so extremly soon? And why just in Europe?

2) if this set will be re-released before this Chrismas, it will be very strange, why the TLG makes a set as temporary retired. It can have bad influence in the imvestment strategy, if we cannot believe the notice "retired".

Edited by mesje

The WVM story is one of the most interesting. WVM retired in Europe immediately after the new year, so just after 3 months! In all shop@home pages in Europe is from January a notice "retired" - not "temporary out of stock", or "sold out" or "retiring soon" etc. I made some panic buys of this set for high MSRP price in February, thought that "retired" message is clear and the price can go extremly higher (for example, Zombies went to EOL after longer period and the price after several weeks after EOL the price was more than double). But in the US is this set available the whole year! Cannot understand what is going on. All scenarios are non-standard:

1) if this set is really retired, why so extremly soon? And why just in Europe?

2) if this set will be re-released before this Chrismas, it will be very strange, why the TLG makes a set as temporary retired. It can have bad influence in the imvestment strategy, if we cannot believe the notice "retired".

I think they intermittently retired Winter Village Cottage like this as well, before bringing it back last year for it's final run.