Anyone out there in Milwaukee La Crosse Wisconsin?

TBuck44

Greetings from Sconny.  Any lego investors out there?

Just a short summary on myself: I've been investing with a buddy in a partnership (well, not technically yet) for about 4 short months.  Basically, we started an ebay store early last year to sell our treasures from picking estate sales and garage/rummage sales.  Picking is the fun part - taking pictures, listing, shipping, dealing with crazy people on ebay, and the rest; not so much.  If we actually tried to calculate the hourly rate we made, we'd probably both quit.  Anyway, the profits that were made were essentially all put into lego investments, with some flippers in there to keep the cash flow going. 

Considering the very few times I actually came across legos last year at rummage sales, maybe I should be asking you that question?  Haha.  How far south of Milwaukee are you?  I haven't done any picking south of say, Oak Creek.  I always wonder how good the Kenosha/Racine area is for rummage sales.

I did have one big score of legos that I randomly stumbled across at a rummage sale.  Other than that, all the sales that had "lego" in the craigslist post that I went to either had them at ebay prices or they were gone already.  It sucks on those few days that you see 2 sales with legos listed, only to go to the one with overpriced legos first on the minute they open.  By time I get to the other one 15 minutes later, the legos are gone.

Anyway, did you partake in/have any luck with clearance sales last month at Targets and Walmarts? 

I literally live right on the southern border of mke county. I found one rummage last year that I actually got anything from. Same for me I usually get there and they're gone already.

Once I got to one that had lego in the pictures at the time they opened and the woman had them promised to some guy two hours away. I even tried to call the phone number she had listed and they never called me back.

As for the clearance I got a few. I was only able to find one lone ranger train and got a few mines and such. If you have an extra train let me know. One of the guys that works for me is begging me to find him one.

The lone ranger train is surprisingly one of the sets I never found when clearances started, and only found one mine to pick up at half off.  I was able to pickup mostly super heroes and star wars sets that were clearanced, along with some LOTR and TMNT.    

With a name like sadowski i believe you're from wisconsin. So much polish/german in wisco. Theres a few green bay pickers posting here too.

Your partner does he go to school at uw la crosse or something? Not alot else going on there lol. Close enough to the twin cities though that maybe he could score some decent clearance.

Any particular sets you are looking for in trade, sadowski?  The longe ranger train wasn't on my list of must haves, but I definitely would have picked up a set or 2 at 50% off.  Anything in particular you are looking for that would have been clearanced in Jan/Feb?

I grew up in La Crosse, West Salem more specifically, as well as my "partner" in our ebay endeavors.  So, I make the 3 hour drive back from time to time, and sometimes hit up some stores on the way back to see if there's any lego treasures sitting on the clearance shelves.  That's why I included La Crosse in the title.

As far as not much going on in La Crosse, compared to a big city you are correct.  It does have a lot of outdoor activities to offer though (the area is often referred to as "God's country" for the scenic bluffs along the Mississippi), and can't be beat for its drinking culture, if you're into that kind of thing, haha.  La Crosse does have way too many weird unsolved murders though, that's for sure.  

• 2 years later...