5002126 - Martian Manhunter

whiteboy02

Yes...that was my point as well.  Hence my rhetorical question about whom he is. 

I would think that selling him sooner rather than later would be the best option because those that know and care who he is won't wait to get him.

I had six and sold them all yesterday and today. I don't wait on these promo poly bags/sets, unless they are seasonal (Christmas truck, sleigh, stand, etc). If they appreciate higher then oh well. I'll take my money now and reinvest. Besides, the whole point of acquiring the promo for me in the first place was to provide a discount on the set I purchased to acquire it. Money is in the bank. Moving on...

Clearly my point was lost on at least a few of you, to the point of insult even...classy.

I'm not sure why I should bother to clarify, but whatever... I was talking about what people buy when it comes time to sell, which is sort of a theme with this site no? What I'm NOT talking about is your personal collection. People buy what they know and what they see. For example, Spider-Man, Batman, The Hulk, etc. I forgot, which recent movie/cartoon/poster/toy isle display was Martain Man Hunter in again? Oh right, he wasn't. Well that must be why my wife, and millions of other Mom's out there have no idea who he is and why my 4 year old knows Spider-Man and Batman, but not the green guy with the blue pants and the cape. Not everyone buying your resold LEGO is a DC Comic fanatic like yourself, it's just a fact and it's what drives me to pass on this chase.

Just getting away from the fact that he's been a DC comics staple since 1955.....IIRC, he's been a character in just about EVERY DC cartoon/direct to DVD movie and video game. So if one is even a casual fan of the DC comics visual media....you probably know who he is.

I certainly don't think there's anti-Martian Manhunter bias on this thread....but he's a more significant character and has been represented more than both a number of the various MARVEL and STAR WARS Lego characters of the past couple waves (or in the case of Star Wars...the entire run of LEGO Star Wars).

Plus, even if he's not the most popular of comic book characters....he's an inagural member and mainstay of DC's Justice League..... and something that completists and comic fans will want.  I wouldn't pass on it.

I apologize if this isn't the place, but not knowing MM well myself, would you sell one now or later?

I'd want to hold onto Super Heroes sets for a while, but seeing how some promos like Han Solo were once $30+ and now $10, I imagine some should be sold while they're hot (freshly run out and in demand).

I think that he will appear in a set, sooner or later. For example in a big Avengers spaceship.  And so he will worth... nearly nothing, considering that a thousand MM polybag will be thrown on ebay.

And there's an other risk: that an army of MM will rise at Xmas.

It's sold out ? So sell yours now.

I think that if you can sell it for about 15$ it's still easy money. Man, isn't it cool ?

And don't expect this MM to rise too much, it's not an exclusive Z6PO or Han Solo...

my two cents

• Like 1

I think that he will appear in a set, sooner or later. For example in a big Avengers spaceship.  And so he will worth... nearly nothing, considering that a thousand MM polybag will be thrown on ebay.

And there's an other risk: that an army of MM will rise at Xmas.

It's sold out ? So sell yours now.

I think that if you can sell it for about 15$ it's still easy money. Man, isn't it cool ?

And don't expect this MM to rise too much, it's not an exclusive Z6PO or Han Solo...

my two cents

I'd buy a MM/Avengers set.

• Like 1

Just getting away from the fact that he's been a DC comics staple since 1955.....IIRC, he's been a character in just about EVERY DC cartoon/direct to DVD movie and video game. So if one is even a casual fan of the DC comics visual media....you probably know who he is.

I certainly don't think there's anti-Martian Manhunter bias on this thread....but he's a more significant character and has been represented more than both a number of the various MARVEL and STAR WARS Lego characters of the past couple waves (or in the case of Star Wars...the entire run of LEGO Star Wars).

Plus, even if he's not the most popular of comic book characters....he's an inagural member and mainstay of DC's Justice League..... and something that completists and comic fans will want.  I wouldn't pass on it.

Well, this casual fan had to remind himself who MM was when LEGO announced the polybag.  That is probably because I lost interested in Comics before the age of 12, only to have LEGO and the near future of my two young children ignite the interest once again.  Even as a child MM wasn't nearly as cool as Batman, so I think that limits your audience.  I really don't think I'm alone in this and I'm only saying that those that remember well or are still engaged will buy sooner rather than later or get their own direct from LEGO.

I'm not anti-MM at all.  I'm just trying not to let my emotions take over the voice of reason in my head that points out MM is not pushed to the general public as a character on the same level as Batman, Superman, or even Green Lantern.  He may very well be more significant...to you and other DC fans, but to the average parent who will buy for their children?  No.  They will sooner buy the more recognized characters for many reasons.

• Like 1

Ha, well my post said I had never heard of him. My bigger mistake was taking my "marvel" information from 6 & 8 year olds.

I think the 6 & 8 year olds have the right idea.  They don't care about Marvel this or DC that.  They just like Superheroes!  That's the way to be.

Not to mention they are the target market.  So perhaps you're being to hard on yourself calling it a mistake.

• Like 2

Well, this casual fan had to remind himself who MM was when LEGO announced the polybag.  That is probably because I lost interested in Comics before the age of 12, only to have LEGO and the near future of my two young children ignite the interest once again.  Even as a child MM wasn't nearly as cool as Batman, so I think that limits your audience.  I really don't think I'm alone in this and I'm only saying that those that remember well or are still engaged will buy sooner rather than later or get their own direct from LEGO.

I'm not anti-MM at all.  I'm just trying not to let my emotions take over the voice of reason in my head that points out MM is not pushed to the general public as a character on the same level as Batman, Superman, or even Green Lantern.  He may very well be more significant...to you and other DC fans, but to the average parent who will buy for their children?  No.  They will sooner buy the more recognized characters for many reasons.

Yeah, J'onn J'onzz / MM is a pretty popular 2nd-tier character in the DC universe.  I first learned about him during the mid-1980s when mail-order comic stores would have Ads containing comics for sale.  It was usually the most expensive comic listed.

e.g. The Brave and the Bold #28

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=The+Brave+and+the+Bold+28&_sop=16

since 2005, he's gain more traction by being in Smallville and the direct-to-video DC movies.

The collective super hero knowledge on this forum = fail.  Martian Manhunter in the "Marvel" game?  :no:

Like I posted earlier, and I mean this as respectfully as possible--if you're going to invest in something, I feel very strongly you should know about it first.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

planing on pairing up MM with lex armor 6862, riddlers chase 76012, arctic 76000  and what ever set green lantern is in (the starting 6 of the JL). so far have four of each, just waiting for GL's set

Someone, somewhere today mentioned the possibility of a MM appearing again sometime down the line.  If it does happen, I think he will be redesigned.  He will either look like he will be appearing in any film, or he'll look like the "New 52" version of the character (the version that's been appearing in the comics for the last 2 1/2 years).

I have been reading through this post about whether MM is popular or not. There seem to be quite a few 'sold listings' on Ebay. I was outbid last night in the final seconds. People are going to want this minifigure. Even if he is not featured in the new movie, presuming it will come out, he is featured in the Lego Batman 2 videogame. I am assuming he will be featured in the third videogame when it releases. This adaptation of MM is the same as the videogame. In my opinion the videogame will outperform sales over a movie in most cases, and I believe that this is where most children have become familiar with MM. My son loves him and it was the videogame where he was first introduced to MM. If you missed the boat on this one because you procrastinated, blame yourself. This minifigure will see a nice increase in price in the future.

I sold 8 of mine for an average of just over $20 each net of fees and shipping.  I have 2 more to sell later on and the last one will be for my personal collection.  I would say this was a pretty solid promotion since all of my orders were in the $90-120 range.  This was way better than double VIP points for me.