Will the CARS sets ever be profitable?

Spacewalker95

I really do not think this theme will ever go up in value. Maybe slightly (it is a Disney license). I love both of the "Cars" films (Pixar always makes great movies), but these sets have the same design & feel as DUPLO sets (very simple & child oriented). I know, I know, LEGO design sets for the 6-14 age range, and they did capture the look of the films, but the line still look like 'junior' sets. I doubt even when 'those kids' become older they will want to go through eBay to buy them again. I only bought a couple for some of the unique tire 'rims'.

I think even ten years from now the CARS sets will hardly be worth more than their original retail even the larger sets. There are a lot of RACERS sets from years past that have hardly gone up in value. Look at all those "Tiny Turbos", barely budged an inch if even that.

• 1 month later...

Just a thought, but the cars theme may be in-demand in the near future. I was looking through the Lego catalog (the special one that businesses order from) and saw that there are going to be a planes theme. Based off the Disney upcoming movie of planes (same thing as cars but with planes...) My theory of thinking is: I have planes but I want the cars to add to the collection... This could be helpful but it could also go terrible. Thoughts?

It will be interesting to see how different or similiar the sets based on the "Planes" film will be. Maybe even a couple new pieces? I would not hold my breath, but the airplane designs could be better than what the car designs were. There is the off chance that "Planes" will make the "Cars" sets desirable and somewhat profitable. My instinct is telling me that there is barely an 18% chance of that happening though.

The Cars theme seems to be moving at a crawl. A lot of places in my area can't seem to even give them away. I think the Planes line could be really cool and even do well, but I don't think it will give Cars a boost. Just my opinion here, the Cars line was not a cool theme. The movies are great, but I don't think they translate well to LEGO. Same with Toy Story. I have always loved the movies, but I just don't think they are good LEGO items. I would avoid Cars for now, and go with something safer.

I'm a firm NO on Cars. The Lego sets look too much like Duplo. I'd pick them up at 50% off, but only to keep for my kid. The movies always do well with kids and adults. But for some reason, the Pixar Lego stuff just hasn't been popular. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is what it is.

I can not believe that they are making a sequel/spin-off from the Cars franchise when you consider how people and critics took the second one. And who knows how well Planes will be received? The film was originally supposed to go DTV, and Pixar has no inolvement in this flick outside of John Lasseter who heads up the Animation department for Disney.

I can not believe that they are making a sequel/spin-off from the Cars franchise when you consider how people and critics took the second one.

And who knows how well Planes will be received? The film was originally supposed to go DTV, and Pixar has no inolvement in this flick outside of John Lasseter who heads up the Animation department for Disney.

They apparently made enough money on the last film to go ahead with this one.

And they really cashed in on the Cars toys. That's the big money maker here, licensing.

They apparently made enough money on the last film to go ahead with this one.

I personally believe that if the "Cars" series wasn't John Lasseter's baby that this series would not go further. First Pixar film not to receive a Oscar nomination, worst reviewed. It is a big gamble to put $400 million into a film that the majority of people did not like and it could burn Planes. Since it was originally scheduled to go DTV has to make a person worried about how well the content itself is. Sure ToyStory 2 was able to overcome all of that with a total re-write but Disney is known about how they handle their DTV movies, and their lack of quality.

Cars 2 made about $100 to $150 million or less just from the box office when you reduce the marketing costs. Less than Brave, but why continue on the Cars series when you have so many other options? The Incredibles, which is the best movie to build a franchise through, still has yet to see one come into fruition... yet Cars continues to receive more and more all because of Lasseter, movies, an entire theme park land... even though The Incredibles did much more money than Cars and was much more well received.

Instead you have Disney going back to the well over and over again with some films that could likely bomb, and sequels that do not need sequels (possibly a Toy Story 4)

And they really cashed in on the Cars toys. That's the big money maker here, licensing.

That is true, but their are much bigger films in their catalogues that could make them more revenue.

• 7 months later...

I would have to agree. Stay away... far far away :)

My opinion is that in order to make some money the set has to appeal somewhat to adults also. You have to remember that a little kid isn't going to be shopping eBay for these things. If they aren't on the shelf at the store for the kids to see them they they don't even know they exist. It seems to me that the sets that appeal to adults (in addition to kids) are the ones that do the best.

I would say like most collectibles, theses Pixar type sets will be winners 10-15 years from now when the kids that played with them want to reconnect with their childhood, and own MIB toys that they loved as kids.  These types of toys take time to appreciate because of this simple fact.  How many people on here started collecting Lego's because they played with them as kids???

I would say like most collectibles, theses Pixar type sets will be winners 10-15 years from now when the kids that played with them want to reconnect with their childhood, and own MIB toys that they loved as kids.  These types of toys take time to appreciate because of this simple fact.  How many people on here started collecting Lego's because they played with them as kids???

I started collecting Legos  because I play with them as a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2 year old nephew that loves the movie Cars. He's constantly playing with his Lightning Mcqueen and I watched the cartoon with him. The movie itself isn't that bad at all. I liked it. What I do not like are the design of the LEGO sets, especially the ultimate builds. They look blocky and bad. Even the duplo sets look better.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing the low gross for planes so far:

Budget: $50,000,000 (estimated)
Gross: $75,004,184 (USA) (5 September 2013) Cars had doubled in gross by this point.

It's safe to say I highly doubt they're going to be making more of the Cars series the next few Lego seasons. I do like the design of the Duplo Planes but it would be hard to replicate a plane into a truly playable figure.

The problem with Cars and Planes is that they are better suited to traditional toy cars/planes than a Lego set.

Maybe (and I mean very maybe) these sets are worth something down the line, but you're better off putting your money in just about anything else. Even Lone Ranger.

I know it's a different ball game, but Cars seems to be doing pretty well as far as Disney Infinity is concerned. The individual Mater and Francesco figures are selling pretty well in relation to the others, and the cars playset with Holly and McQueen is disappearing from shelves a lot more quickly while the Lone Ranger playset is languishing on shelves.

So yes, I am in agreement that the Cars franchise is a mass marketing product machine...the Lego sets may be languishing a bit in value, but it's not hard to see that even 2 years plus since the last movie, they are still more popular than many other well known Disney characters when examined individually.