Will the CARS sets ever be profitable?

Spacewalker95

If you could buy-in to a few LEGO Disney Pixar Cars 2 - Limited Edition Tokyo International Circuit (8679) at $44.79 each, do you think it would be a waste of time?

Does kind of seem like a waste IMHO. You have to sell for at least $55 to break even (assuming ebay) and I just don`t think you could get much more then that, if that, right now. I`d say buy something else, you`re smart, you know what to look for  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've had nice success selling Mack's Team and Flo's V8.  The ROI for those two are pretty decent as long as you originally purchased at some sort of discount.   The other sets seem far less desirable.  Too bad Lego never made a Doc Hudson and the police car (excluding Duplo).   I buiilt nearly every set for my son and totally understand why parents are still buying sets for their kids.  The sets are fun for kids.

It is also a shame the cars themselves don't look better.  That flat tiled 1x4 plate on the side of each one looks misplaced.

I've had nice success selling Mack's Team and Flo's V8.  The ROI for those two are pretty decent as long as you originally purchased at some sort of discount.   The other sets seem far less desirable.  Too bad Lego never made a Doc Hudson and the police car (excluding Duplo). 

It is also a shame the cars themselves don't look better.  That flat tiled 1x4 plate on the side of each one looks misplaced.

One of my Wal-Marts still has 2 Flo's V8 Cafe's sitting there stickered at $40.  I passed them all last year and they are back out again.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not to rehash an old thread but I picked up a used lot of cars vehicles for my kids for $6 and while researching what sets they are from I noticed that a few of the sets based on the first cars movie have done pretty well. 8486 is selling for over 5x rrp on Amazon and 8487 is selling for 3x rrp now. I know it has been 3 plus years since retired but patience for those who had them seems to have paid off.

I've always liked the theme & found them quite popular with the cub-scout crowd. The new movie, Cars 3 is set to be released in June 2017 so they might see some character remakes or perhaps a revival should TLG not produce more sets, could go either way...   

Edited by Thumper

On 31/7/2016 at 5:46 PM, micbelt said:

Not to rehash an old thread but I picked up a used lot of cars vehicles for my kids for $6 and while researching what sets they are from I noticed that a few of the sets based on the first cars movie have done pretty well. 8486 is selling for over 5x rrp on Amazon and 8487 is selling for 3x rrp now. I know it has been 3 plus years since retired but patience for those who had them seems to have paid off.

But are they actually selling at those prices or is it just what they are listed at? I can still find some of these in stores - they actually have a whole shelf for the toxic holy trinity of Turtles, Lone Ranger and Cars.

I guess if you got them at 70% off then you will do OK, but that´s the same for just about everything.

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

Hi micbelt, i did not find official information about this pack, however retail prices of individual included sets are 15€ (8206) 20€ (8426) 70€ (8487).
Value of all sets has increased ca.50% according to brickpicker by now...
I believe this pack could be really valuable as it seems very rare, and is including 10 minicars - what do you think? 

I would buy to flip now. Using prices in usd, retail for these 3 sets were $94.97 combined and they can be sold on Amazon for roughly $226 right now. Could make roughly $55-$65 profit quickly. Since I have a son that likes the movie and missed out on the them, I would buy it to keep or maybe flip the two smaller sets to get the Flo's v8 cafe for close to nothing.

The most valuable sets from the theme seem to be the ones focused on the first movie and radiator springs.