Hello everyone. New member. Signed up last night

Hello..first I'm Nick and I have a son who's 3 years old and loves Legos and so did I when I was young so we started getting into them and especially we're drawn in by the movie and minifigures to follow. We have bought countless amounts and still missing one in each of our sets(Velma) but I'm defiantly looking to move this to the next level. Seems almost impossible to find any of the good sets from movie on the shelves. So I'm looking to use this site as a guide of info on release dates and tip ****** tricks of collecting. I'm new to Legos but also a big hot wheels collector so I got the collecting background. Even though this seems to be completely different with investing and all that. Any help would be very appreciated. On good sets..good places to look other than the big stores(target, walmart, toys r us, kmart) i live in NW Illinois, USA. No close lego store. But any help or welcome tips would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning more about Legos and this website which seems to be the best place for collectors and trading.

NW Illinois!  You have a LegoLand in Shaumburg and a Lego store in Orland Park, Chicago and some other place up here to the east of you.  I've been to Galena a few times, but don't remember a Lego store around there.  

And welcome.  I have a 3 year old, too.  Just bought a bunch of the MIcro Star Wars fighters today, and we are having a ball.  The Tie Interceptor keeps losing a wing, but the Falcon has some staying power for battles.    

Thank you! And we pretty much on the border of Iowa but we defiantly plan on going to stores in the future whenever possible. But where can I find release dates on certain sets? All I've seen for the movie ones is a nice cream battle and some random one that I can't think of bc it's such a small part in it. And I also have picked up the micro fighters. I love them. Got the tie fighter first bc I love the mini fig

Welcome!  I suggest reading back articles and blog posts when/if you can, as well as checking this site a couple times a day.  I can't tell you how many times I've come across a hot deal from someone on this site (and I try to post when I find some). 

welcome to the site.

word of caution: make sure you have your CC paid off, you have no idea what you signed up for :)

in all seriousness, everyone here is very helpful and we each learn from one another. Like others said, read as many blogs as you can , don't be afraid to ask questions, and follow the daily deal thread, daily :P 

Thank you! And we pretty much on the border of Iowa but we defiantly plan on going to stores in the future whenever possible. But where can I find release dates on certain sets? All I've seen for the movie ones is a nice cream battle and some random one that I can't think of bc it's such a small part in it. And I also have picked up the micro fighters. I love them. Got the tie fighter first bc I love the mini fig

You are better off getting a Discover Card, and using Shop Discover with Lego Shop at Home than you are going to an actual Lego Store to purchase.  You will get free shipping and 5% cash back with the card, plus you get points at the store.  That is, if you are going for the movie sets.  I don't see them discounted at the Lego stores.

welcome to the site.

word of caution: make sure you have your CC paid off, you have no idea what you signed up for :)

in all seriousness, everyone here is very helpful and we each learn from one another. Like others said, read as many blogs as you can , don't be afraid to ask questions, and follow the daily deal thread, daily :P

And when you see a post from a frog that is longer than 1 paragraph, bookmark it.

Ok thanks. And I know. But when it comes to fun with me ****** my son I can't see dollar signs lol. It'll be nice knowing what stuff works but me and him just buy the sets we like..just trying to get him into Star Wars haha. But where can I look to see if Simpsons are hitting shelves. Or when minifigures are shipping to stores ****** stuff like that. I'm gonna do as much reading as I can until I get the low down on everything but that's the main thing i rely on is dates. Not many ppl buy Legos around here. We live by a small city

I have not gone and got them yet but I'm very excited to go get my old lego sets from parents house to see what I got. I can't remember a thing lol. Probably missing some pieces but very few if that. I was usually pretty careful with stuff. But I know I got all the instructions so I'll know what I got in a sense

Taking the trip to LegoLand in Shaumburg would be worth it for you and your son.  They have a lot of cool Star Wars builds there, and the movies are pretty cool and 3-D. They are not that expensive, and the mall it is in has some nice places to shop.  I went there last month and had a ball.  I think we only spent 3 hours or so there, but it was worth the ticket price.  The store there is pretty small, and I didn't buy anything, but the playland and the exhibits are cool place for kids.  

I buy mainly Star Wars sets for play and for investments. I have purchases some Friends sets for my 10 year old daughter, but she isn't that into Lego like me and my son. I do like the fact that the sets I am buying keep their value and I can invest in extra sets in order to buy more later.