CUUSOO - "Space Marines" is now "Space Troopers"

TheOrcKing

I meant to post about the sudden disappearance of the CUUSOO - "Space Marines" project yesterday, but it slipped my mind. (Blame it on 'the most annoying thing in the world', heh.)

Just yesterday, the "Space Marines" project was taken down because of 'another' company (LEGO never actually said but we all know it was Games Workshop) because the name infringed on one of their trademarks. (Space Marines from Warhammer 40,000 no doubt.)

However, LEGO did agree to put the project back online if NickRoyer (the creator) agreed to rename it.

So "Space Marines" is now "Space Troopers".

There is a differance between a Copyright and a Trademark, so atleast Games Workshop is not saying they 'own' the term "Space Marine", but come on. Just how much does the "Galaxy Patrol" minifigure look like any Games Workshop "Space Marine"? Oh yeah, and I just love the fact that Games Workshop waited until NOW to say anything.

Whatever, it's yet another game of semantics....

I'm glad that in the end the project (though renamed) is back on track.

Hopefully not for a disappointing "Nope, we're not gonna do that" letdown from LEGO in the end.

Here's the original blog post.

What happened to those space guys - LEGO CUUSOO

And here's the re-uploaded project page.

Space Troopers - LEGO CUUSOO

I've attached two differant images for comparison.

The first is a pack of Games Workshop's "Space Marines" (One that costs around $25)

Second is the CUUSOO "Space Ma-" (I'm sorry) "Space Troopers"

What do you guys feel about this whole 'trademark' debaucle?

Did Games Workshop have an actual claim, or were they just having a fit about something rather superficial?