6869 - Quinjet Aerial Battle

Doofy McGee

This set had an Orc Forge feeling to me...and then I noticed in the CA previews it was shown a few times. I also liked that last year this set was heavily dogged on this site. Glad to hear it was used a lot in the movie, makes me feel better about it's chances. The only thing it was missing to be a sure bet was exclusivity to a retail chain.

I've always had a good feeling for this set, it was heavily discounted here down to 39.99 for quite a long time which sometimes isn't a good sign, but being the biggest set with the most amount of avengers figures can't be a bad thing. The one thing I am not happy about is a u.k seller had 3 listings of one hundred quinjets per listing, he didn't sell any and only relisted 100 which has now also finished a few weeks ago.... They haven't reappeared, maybe he's waiting for the prices to go up before monopolises the market... He could have been preparing to drop ship them but I don't see where he found the availability of 300.

I've always had a good feeling for this set, it was heavily discounted here down to 39.99 for quite a long time which sometimes isn't a good sign, but being the biggest set with the most amount of avengers figures can't be a bad thing. The one thing I am not happy about is a u.k seller had 3 listings of one hundred quinjets per listing, he didn't sell any and only relisted 100 which has now also finished a few weeks ago.... They haven't reappeared, maybe he's waiting for the prices to go up before monopolises the market... He could have been preparing to drop ship them but I don't see where he found the availability of 300.

Most likely drop ship. I doubt he had 300 Quinjets. That is just insane.

• 1 month later...

-oh and did anyone else wonder how big a UCS helicarrier would need to be to land them on? Completely financially unfeasible, but it would be sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfaMxquCRa8

My favorite details was what's in one of the turbines.

Anyway, something to note for y'all - the only people who know this is called a Quinjet are the fans that do a little research and the people who have seen the LEGO set. Otherwise, come gifting time, your suburban mothers and their children are only going to search something along the lines of "LEGO Marvel Avengers jet plane", so keep that in mind when you title your ebay listings.

I'm not really a fan of the design simply because it feels kinda subtle and generic-ish, but I still wish I could get some for myself and for investment. As people have said before, excellent minifigure variety and recognizability, should be cool in the longer run.

• 6 months later...

I got a couple of these for like $40 a while back. Everyone was going crazy buying them. It is a cool set will have nice growth. I think after Christmas we will start to see some better growth because most flippers will have sold their sets off and us patient folk aren't going to fight each other for $20 profit on this set.

I got a couple of these for like $40 a while back. Everyone was going crazy buying them. It is a cool set will have nice growth. I think after Christmas we will start to see some better growth because most flippers will have sold their sets off and us patient folk aren't going to fight each other for $20 profit on this set.

The Age of Ultron sets (yes, I'm assuming we get some AoU sets...I suppose maybe not, but at the very least it will be a popular movie) should rekindle some love for this set. I think it will also help 6867. I'm holding until the movie comes out.

The Age of Ultron sets (yes, I'm assuming we get some AoU sets...I suppose maybe not, but at the very least it will be a popular movie) should rekindle some love for this set. I think it will also help 6867. I'm holding until the movie comes out.

Yes for sure hold. These are very premature right now. Initial growth was slow because of the $40 blowout but I wouldn't be surprised to this thing north of $120 next Christmas. New movie will definitely help and it will have been gone for 1.5 years by then.

• 4 weeks later...

in the long run having a new Quinjet shows how popular this vehicle is, it will slow sales, but the original is where the money will be at, it would be very unlikely that the new Quinjet would ever over take the original in terms of value.  to wrap it up, it's this second set that may not be such a good investment.  Let me put it clearer, years down the line, collectors will recognize the earlier color schemes, like classic space the grey sets are much more appealing to collectors and much more valuable than the sets with more blue and white lego, in fact, you could say lego are trying to educate investors or that some things never change.,

Edited by glenbart
  • Like 1

Seems like we should be unloading the hulk lab smash as well. No exclusive Hulk with purple pants anymore.

The new Hulk has olive green skin while the earlier two are just regular green. The hair piece also looks different but I'm not sure. This upcoming Hulk seems to better match the films while the slightly older one is straight from the comics. I guess it all depends on each person's personal preference.

• 4 months later...

I believe many of us sold our 6869s before the refreshed arrived.  Personally, I like 6869 better (although the newer one has a better Black Widow).   In my experience, 6869 just never had enough demand (many of us were able to buy them at 30%-50% off)  at retail.

Take a look at the stats below.  Wasn't encouraging during the last 12 months. :(

So, has anyone seen demand for any of the old Avenger sets go up? What to do with this set? Keep holding and wait for the flood to set price higher?

image.jpg

image.jpg