Deal or No Deal - open discussion

I saw Superman Battle of Smallville at Wal Mart for 35.  I think it retails for 50.  Is that a good deal?  Is that a good set to buy?  I'm new to this.  I also saw spideys cycle chase at meijer online for 14.99.  Anyone thoughts?  Any feedback is much appreciated.

I saw Superman Battle of Smallville at Wal Mart for 35.  I think it retails for 50.  Is that a good deal?  Is that a good set to buy?  I'm new to this.  I also saw spideys cycle chase at meijer online for 14.99.  Anyone thoughts?  Any feedback is much appreciated.

IMO....Smallville is a bad investment, especially at $35. And Be careful with Spidey, lot's of people bought up a ton of these at much cheaper than $14. You can do better on both, or look elsewhere.

I found a 79110 @ 29.99 plus tax, should I grab it ???

Box in good condition not excellent but seals intact...

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I think this one is right on the fence. I personally would do it since I think you could flip now or at Christmas and still get a decent return. Or hold and hope people are wrong about the Lone Ranger line, it being western themed and such a short run it could be a decent return next year. Hell, at less than 5 cents a brick you could piece it out even and be fine.

Ok, I'm worried someone will flip out if i ask this in another thread.  I saw some Rancor pits at wal mart for 40.  that's like 33 percent off I believe.  I also saw some of the star wars 75001 and 75000 little boxes for 7.  Are either of those worthwhile?  

Ok, I'm worried someone will flip out if i ask this in another thread. I saw some Rancor pits at wal mart for 40. that's like 33 percent off I believe. I also saw some of the star wars 75001 and 75000 little boxes for 7. Are either of those worthwhile?

The rancor price is ok, not great. Do have any Jabba Palace to go with it?

No, unfortunately. I think those were ending right as I started buying legos. I would have opened it anyways lol.

Lol...you will always miss out on sets especially when you first start investing. Don't worry about those, focus on what you can get now that is still available. I would look into buying : GE, Sopwith, T1 van. Kmart is supposedly having a 50% off clearance this Sunday, scout some stores. Read as much as you can on this site, so much info .. Don't be intimidated out of asking meaningful question . One more thing, so of the way sets are the ones rarely mentioned, have your own plan as their is no one size fits all :)

Welcome to BP

• Like 1

General starting:

For flipping:

1. Get a general idea of Sell Price

* Search for LEGO [setNumber] on ebay, sort lowest price including shipping -- note 3 cheapest listings

* Tick the check box for Sold Listings, sort by Recent, note the 3 most recent listings

2. Get a general idea of shipping cost -- usually $10 to $20

* Note any that are charging for shipping, to get an idea of how much it costs to ship.

3. Calculate fees

* Add your sell price plus shipping together and multiply by .129 -- the result is your Final Value Fees

4. Take the price you would pay to get the set, that's the sticker price plus any tax and shipping you'll have to pay to get the set.  This is your cost.

5. Take your Sell price from step 1, and subtract your FVF from step 3, then subtract your cost.  This is what you can get flipping.

In general to make flipping work you usually have to get a set at 50% or better off from recommended retail (RRP / MSRP) -- less if you think the item will be in high demand and may sell out, you will than have a small window of opportunity to sell at higher than retail during the shortage.

Now for investment purposes, you do a similar calculation but you can hope for some appreciation of the value of the set after it *retires* -- the key is retirement.  Ideally this means buying large numbers of sets the day before they retire, so you don't have stock sitting on the shelf taking up cash that you could be using for flipping.  The problem is, LEGO does not publish retirement dates and it's possible for a set to very suddenly become unavailable with little or no warning.

So additional steps for investment sets:

* Look at Briskset.com and see when the set came out.  Most of the sets under $100 usually have a 1 to 3 year period of availability -- using brickset.com you can look up similar sets to one you are considering and it will show when the set was first available from LEGO.com and when it stopped being available.

* Use the price guide here on this site, to look up a similar set that has already retired to get an idea of what it will be worth after retiring.

Successful flippers and short term investors like to point out the following:

* Sets with lots of minifigures, particularly those that have minifigures that are exclusive to the set generally flip (or part out) better than sets without minifigures or with minifigures that appear in multiple sets.

A number of the more successful *investors* that don't do a lot of flipping usually note the following:

* Buying the more expensive sets, means that even if they only appreciate 20% to 50% over RRP, you can still make a healthy chunk of change for a single transaction instead of working hard making $5 or $10 a set flipping

* The Exclusives and Hard to find sets have a track record of appreciating well after retirement, just look at the retired Modulars as an example

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment.  Welcome aboard, and good luck!

• Like 9

LEGO City The Mine (4204) for $76.99. Any thoughts on this set at this price?

If flipping, the set is still available and not retired.  It has an MSRP of $99.99 and ships free from LEGO.com.  To match, on ebay at $99.99 including shipping you would gross approximately $77.09 ($99.99 - $12.90 fees - $10 shipping) -- giving you a net profit of 10 cents.

If investing, you would need to compare to a similar set that had a similar price point that is now retired.  I'm not real familiar with the City line, but taking 2 minutes to look at BrickSet.com -- Browse Sets -- Theme City -- Construction (closest I could find to mining) -- I found 7633 Construction Site which also sold at $99.99 and has been retired about 3 years -- plug the set number into the price guide, gives you an average selling price of about $200 until the Christmas shopping season started last year, when it started a climb up to $250.  With only a handful selling in any given month over the last year -- that could be due to low supply, or low demand.  So given the comparison data, you might be able to double your money but you may have to hold that set for 3+ years to do so.

Personally I believe the growth rate of investors/secondary market sellers is growing faster than the collectors -- which means it will make it harder for any given investor to sell at top dollar rates, which will cause some people to sell at lower price points.  So as always, YMMV and you should take this with a grain of salt.

I've shown the detail here, so that you can follow through with future sets to get an idea of how to price things out.  In my personal opinion, other than Train sets which have a proven track record for appreciating -- I wouldn't buy any city set at a price that I couldn't flip it for at least 50% ROI.  To make that with The Mine (4204) on ebay after fees and shipping, buying it for about $55 or less, or roughly 50% off.

• Like 2

What are your thoughts on Disney at Target?  My husband and I are getting into investing and I'm loving the princess stuff.

Welcome. I think you may be the only female that I know off around here. Everybody keeps talking about getting murdered by their wives for buying too much Lego, it is good to know there are wives lurking too.

I think they princess theme will be a hit, but they just came out last year, standard lego sets end of life is 2 years, so still some ways to go. Girls Legos are a big hit right now. some Friends set doubled a couple of monts after they retired.

• Like 1

Welcome. I think you may be the only female that I know off around here. Everybody keeps talking about getting murdered by their wives for buying too much Lego, it is good to know there are wives lurking too.

I think they princess theme will be a hit, but they just came out last year, standard lego sets end of life is 2 years, so still some ways to go. Girls Legos are a big hit right now. some Friends set doubled a couple of monts after they retired.

Thanks for responding!  I was going to put out a hit on my husband for all of his Lego purchases until I found this site.  Now I see the investing potential.  It also helps that I love Star Wars, Superheroes and now the Princess stuff.  I think we are going to hit up Target later with the 10% Cartwheel app and my RedCard.  It's time to add some pink to our collection.

• Like 1

Thanks for responding! I was going to put out a hit on my husband for all of his Lego purchases until I found this site. Now I see the investing potential. It also helps that I love Star Wars, Superheroes and now the Princess stuff. I think we are going to hit up Target later with the 10% Cartwheel app and my RedCard. It's time to add some pink to our collection.

Cinderella castle looked like a slim dunk for Christmas, but Elsa stole the show
  • Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.