BrickPicker Book Club

We have covered every other area with movies, TV series, music, etcetera, but not books. In spite of the internet as well as all other forms of digital media, the classic form of the written word still carries on to this day and thankfully so. From novels to comic books, what do you enjoy reading? :read: :scenic:

• Like 1

My all time favorite is Fullmetal Alchemist the manga series or the Bortherhood anime series.  This is the series that cover philosophy, war/peace, human nature, science, magic, religion, immortality, and artificial intelligence in a steam punk techno settings.  There is no other series can touch the mix of heavy philosophical discussions and light comedic nuances while maintaining high level of action adventure.  

ETA: Plus a walking talking suit of armor..  who can resist ?

Cut and paste from the TV Clicks thread :D :D :D

any thing and everything, Na just kidding, with my ADHD and my Dysgraphia, readding can be a pain, So I find stuff written in a style I can read, or I have the computer read it to me.  But ya I read everything.

Some of my current reading this week is:

• Laboratory anatomy of the white rat
  • Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
  • Unbroken by laura Hillenbrand

Plus a ton of young adult with my kids. the Ever After High Books are really popular with them, and we have finished all 10 Ivy and Bean.  Might try Nancy Drew next.

Edited for spelling and grammar 

Oh I loved reading Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and some of her one off mystery novels.  I could not stand Ms Marple though.  That was more a testament to the  brilliance of Agatha Christie that she could write 2 popular characters with very distinct personalities and methodologies

• Like 2

I usually do audiobooks as I have a 30min commute to work and hardly get peace time at home to actually read anymore.

Just finished The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle.  Excellent classic sci-fi, written in 1974.  It deals mankind 1,000 years in the future living spread out across many planetary systems and are about to make first contact with a sentient alien race.  Very good stuff and grounded in some basic science for the most part which gives it a feeling of it being a real possibility for our future.  Just starting the sequel The Gripping Hand as well.

Other recent reads:

• Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk - book the movie was based on.  Book was good, but I love the movie and it could go down as a rare example of where a movie has been better than the book, usually always the other way around.
  • American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis - if you though the movie was dark, then you ain't see nothin till you've read this.  Not for the faint hearted.
  • Harry Potter complete series - Had put it off for a long time due to my perception of it being "a kids book".  I really enjoyed it though.  Narrated in audio form superbly by the magnificent Stephen Fry
  • The Stand by Stephen King - great post apocalyptic masterpiece, King at his finest.

My mother is an insanely addicted reader being able to digest a few books in a week. One author she loves is Laurell K. Hamilton who writes the stories of vampire hunter, Anita Blake, which has been turned into a graphic novel by Marvel. It is a pretty damn good series with violence, humor, and sex. You know, the usual. :derisive: It is fun when we compare notes between the comic books and original books.

anita-marvel-wallpaper-800x600.jpg

Plus a ton of young adult with my kids. the Ever After High Books are really popular with them, and we have finished all 10 Ivy and Bean. Might try Nancy Drew next.

I liked Ever After High too! I haven't read the second one yet, which I think just came out. I've been working my way through the Monster High books as well. That's great that you read along with your kids!

Just discovered My Little Pony Friendship is Magic graphic novels. More for older readers than young kids. Lots of inside jokes, which I love.

As for "grown up" books, I've read a ton of historical romance and paranormal romance in the last couple of years. Never ventured into the Romance genre when I was younger. For some reason I'm getting more into it as I get older. Different life stage I guess!

Some of my all time favorite books are The Secret History by Donna Tartt, Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh, Atonement by Ian McEwan, The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, The Eight by Katherine Neville, and Howards End by E.M. Forster.

I'm very much a non-fiction reader, but I'll read some Star Wars Expanded Universe as well.  The non-fiction I mostly read are Star Wars retrospectives, history, mafia history, famous pop culture icon biographies, and band/musician biographies (mostly Heavy Metal or Classic Rock).

I've read some Stephen King, Mario Puzo, & Tom Clancy stuff.

I liked LOTR, but I did a lot of skimming.  This is how I felt about LOTR:

"They started walking after they took a rest.  All of a sudden - they realized that they were turning - to the left!  Not only that, but it was at a slight incline!  There were lots of trees through this area, and they felt like they were being followed.  They continued walking... (Skim skim skim)

I really enjoy reading the Redwall books.  My favorite comic book is Calvin and Hobbes.  I used to eat way too much breakfast just so I did not have to stop reading.

• 4 years later...

Reading this. An eye opening book about an Irish man who was one of the instrumental figure during the early years of Antarctic exploration. In a time when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel. Unfortunately it's the other way around now. He was a member of the Shackleton expedition which sailed some few hundred miles from Antarctica in an open life boat to save the rest of their crew, after their ship was crushed by the Ice. 

1525902824248-1826721102.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, CrabslayerT said:
Reading this. An eye opening book about an Irish man who was one of the instrumental figure during the early years of Antarctic exploration. In a time when ships were made of wood and men were made of steel. Unfortunately it's the other way around now. He was a member of the Shackleton expedition which sailed some few hundred miles from Antarctica in an open life boat to save the rest of their crew, after their ship was crushed by the Ice. 

Shackleton Expedition... Shivers.