76022 - X-Men Vs The Sentinel

Doofy McGee

This set is officially retired everywhere except the US, so I wouldn't expect this one to last past the end of the year. I personally really like the set however xmen doesn't seem to have as much demand as the other superhero franchises.

Sold the first one of mine yesterday. $89.95 :)

This set is officially retired everywhere except the US, so I wouldn't expect this one to last past the end of the year. I personally really like the set however xmen doesn't seem to have as much demand as the other superhero franchises.

re the x-men demand that does seem to be the case - assume it because they're just not the "in thing" at the moment (movies are a distant memory).  It might take a reboot to really get some returns on this one but if you're accumulating at more then 25% discount then I'd say go for it.

I know a few advocate 33% discount minimum (and then at 50% its a buy what ever the theme/set - not a rule I like at all) & maybe this one will be seen cheaper.  But if its EOL everywhere except from the states and you have faith in this one then beginning accumulating now seems like a good strategy to me.

If the discount does increase then its just another opportunity to get more at a cheaper price if you still haven't hit your targets :)

No issues with this set at all right now. Put it aside and wait it out. 
Biggest concern is if Lego flood the market with X-Men but they can hardly be accused of that so far. 

ccurrently X-Men licensing is nearly impossible to get. Marvel wants the movie rights back but Fox won't give them up.  So they don't want to build hype with merchandising. There is a new movie coming in May, and I looks big.  No lego sets announced yet. And there is a good chance we will not get much if any.  With captain America and batman vs super man sets announced, and both movies coming around the same time. If marvel does continue to starve X-Men licenses this set could be huge. Either way it's a decent bet long term.

I think the walmat and target clearance is starting to dry up, and you likely wont find a better price than those.

Edited by jay4e

Wow, that's encouraging!  Is Marvel (or Super Heroes in general) that popular in Australia?

The Super Hero theme (with the exception of Ant-man who isn't available at retail) is not over the top popular. X-men will do fine due to the limited availability, I haven't seen in it in a year + and like others have stated the non-saturation of the theme. My buy-in was $55ish on the LEGO Shop at Home sale.

The first wave of Batman did well in Australia initially and then the market got completely flooded with the new sets but I suspect that is a global thing too. 
I try to focus on sets with unique figs but the way Lego keeps reissuing can make it difficult. 
The initial Wolverine set did fantastic so it will be interesting to see how this one goes. Marvel's reluctance to promote X-Men certainly pays off for investors. 

• Like 1

re the x-men demand that does seem to be the case - assume it because they're just not the "in thing" at the moment (movies are a distant memory).  It might take a reboot to really get some returns on this one but if you're accumulating at more then 25% discount then I'd say go for it.

I know a few advocate 33% discount minimum (and then at 50% its a buy what ever the theme/set - not a rule I like at all) & maybe this one will be seen cheaper.  But if its EOL everywhere except from the states and you have faith in this one then beginning accumulating now seems like a good strategy to me.

If the discount does increase then its just another opportunity to get more at a cheaper price if you still haven't hit your targets :)

I wouldn't bet against the X-Men sets.  There aren't many of them and there are some die-hard X-Men fans out there.  

Also, keying all of your purchasing decisions to the discount available is a conservative approach, but not always the best approach.  When a set is popular and in demand, you can buy at MSRP and be fine.  Look at the last X-Men set (Wolverine's Chopper Showdown), if you had bought that at the full price of $20, you would have been fine.  If you had held out for at least a 33% discount, you would have been screwed because it rarely, if ever, hit that deep of a discount.  And before anyone jumps in to point out the obvious...I am fully aware that Deadpool drove the value of that set...the point is, if you know what sets to pick, you don't need to wait for a deep discount to buy.  Most of the sets that I'm sitting on right now were purchased at no more than a 20% discount and I'm already looking at after-tax profit of at least 40% on each set.  

I wouldn't bet against the X-Men sets.  There aren't many of them and there are some die-hard X-Men fans out there.  

Also, keying all of your purchasing decisions to the discount available is a conservative approach, but not always the best approach.  When a set is popular and in demand, you can buy at MSRP and be fine.  Look at the last X-Men set (Wolverine's Chopper Showdown), if you had bought that at the full price of $20, you would have been fine.  If you had held out for at least a 33% discount, you would have been screwed because it rarely, if ever, hit that deep of a discount.  And before anyone jumps in to point out the obvious...I am fully aware that Deadpool drove the value of that set...the point is, if you know what sets to pick, you don't need to wait for a deep discount to buy.  Most of the sets that I'm sitting on right now were purchased at no more than a 20% discount and I'm already looking at after-tax profit of at least 40% on each set.  

That's actually a really good point you're making and one I think needs to be made again and again really.  Something a lot of people are guilty (and me included as well) of when they first start out is thinking they're making good investments just because they get a set at >33% off.

Knowing what sets to pick is the key.  If they are on discount then all the better.  Making decisions purely on discounts would probably end up being a losing strategy.  As you said, waiting for deep discounts could mean you miss out big time.  Waiting for that extra 5% really wont make the difference on the sets you pick right and ones you pick wrongly.  It probably only really makes a diff on breaking even when you get it wrong (and taking a 5% hit for a lesson learned isnt the end of the world).

+1 for truth. Waiting for a deeper discount could mean watching the show from the sidelines. There's a reason for widespread 50% off some sets, and that reason is a reason not to invest in them. 

Deadpool might be the go-to for the Chopper, but Wolverine is no slouch among the X-Men faithful. Toss in an exclusive Storm--a very nice minifig--and I think this one is a winner. 

• Like 1

Deadpool might be the go-to for the Chopper, but Wolverine is no slouch among the X-Men faithful. Toss in an exclusive Storm--a very nice minifig--and I think this one is a winner. 

Every minifigure in this set is exclusive, and from experience the Sentinels sell well too.  I like this set - I just hope they don't give it another year at retail.

Every minifigure in this set is exclusive, and from experience the Sentinels sell well too.  I like this set - I just hope they don't give it another year at retail.

This one will be gonzo this fall. Nothing pushing it to sell online and virtually no physical shelf space as it isn't part of a greater theme. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, pharmjod said:

Sold out at US SAH now. For good I hope. I'm deeper in this set than I expected but it is hard to leave them at 50% off. Thank you Meijer.

1 hour ago, pharmjod said:

Sold out at US SAH now. For good I hope. I'm deeper in this set than I expected but it is hard to leave them at 50% off. Thank you Meijer.

Finally!  We're in the same boat/blackbird.

On Monday, August 03, 2015 at 5:40 PM, Lego_Yoda said:

I'm actually surprised with all the movies that there was not more a push on this theme.  They could have done wonders (Xaviar school break in for one).

Picked up a couple of these at 50% off.  Seeing them less heavily discounted now in the UK (assuming its because stock is drying up).

Fox and Disney/Marvel are having a pissing match.  From my understanding FOX owns the movie rights, while the Mouse owns the rest.  Disney sees no benefit in dumping resources into a movie franchise they have nothing to do with.

• 3 months later...