76022 - X-Men Vs The Sentinel

Doofy McGee

Hmm maybe I need to look into the part out side of the business...

system_arcade01.jpg

I only dabbled in parting out sets, and did mostly used. My 11 year old opened her BL store and the plan was to load it up with minifigures, and I would sell the sets minus minifigures on ebay. I listed a ton of stuff I was tired of looking at (this set, daily bugle, Malibu mansion, etc). One would be surprised how many "dud" sets aren't so bad if you split them up. (FYI I'm not doing complete part outs yet, too much work)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I am feeling less enthusiastic for this set. I got 10 of these off clearance, but seeing them still hanging around with big discounts causes me to lose confidence. I saw them clearance out of the local LEGO store last month, and was at first excited, especially when they sold through. Toys R Us and several other stores around here haven't sold a single one in months.

As a longtime X-men fan I have a very warm place in my heart for anything resembling the old '92 X-men. I disagree with most of the opinions on here about how poor this set will do in the future and here's why: The most recent X-men movie was Days of Future Past (2014) so there has been little spotlight on anything X-men related. When kids/parents think 'superheroes' what comes to mind? Spiderman? Avengers? Captain America? Why? Marvel is cutting X-Men out of any merchandise in an attempt to devalue the X-men name in an attempt to reacquire it down the road. Sitting on the shelves for months, not surprising. 

I feel there will be small surges in the sets popularity every time a new movie is released because where else are you going to get that LEGO X-men fix? Not a new set, that's for sure. And when *fingers crossed* FOX and Marvel either come to an agreement or Marvel buys the movie rights, X-men will make a resurgence and these old sets will be in high demand.

Worst case scenario: I piece together 30 of the Sentinels and make one giant one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Basictoaster said:

As a longtime X-men fan I have a very warm place in my heart for anything resembling the old '92 X-men. I disagree with most of the opinions on here about how poor this set will do in the future and here's why: The most recent X-men movie was Days of Future Past (2014) so there has been little spotlight on anything X-men related. When kids/parents think 'superheroes' what comes to mind? Spiderman? Avengers? Captain America? Why? Marvel is cutting X-Men out of any merchandise in an attempt to devalue the X-men name in an attempt to reacquire it down the road. Sitting on the shelves for months, not surprising. 

I feel there will be small surges in the sets popularity every time a new movie is released because where else are you going to get that LEGO X-men fix? Not a new set, that's for sure. And when *fingers crossed* FOX and Marvel either come to an agreement or Marvel buys the movie rights, X-men will make a resurgence and these old sets will be in high demand.

Worst case scenario: I piece together 30 of the Sentinels and make one giant one. 

Good post, this set should do great

21 minutes ago, Basictoaster said:

I've thought about all of the people who want a sentinel army. The parts route is probably the best way to go with this one. Magneto is probably the weakest part of this set. It's the 80's version from a time that no one cares about. It's an ugly figure. Too bad they couldn't just reissue the one from the wolvie chopper set. These versions of Wolverine, Cyclops and Storm are also pretty out of date.

I'd love to see a MOD with the blackbird being expanded. It really needs to be longer, IMO. I might try to see if I could do that since I broke up a couple of these sets.

5 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I've thought about all of the people who want a sentinel army. The parts route is probably the best way to go with this one. Magneto is probably the weakest part of this set. It's the 80's version from a time that no one cares about. It's an ugly figure. Too bad they couldn't just reissue the one from the wolvie chopper set. These versions of Wolverine, Cyclops and Storm are also pretty out of date.

I'd love to see a MOD with the blackbird being expanded. It really needs to be longer, IMO. I might try to see if I could do that since I broke up a couple of these sets.

Marvel just published a well selling mini series about the 92 X-men last year which has led to a new ongoing series so there's life there yet. And Magneto is THE villain. He'd be popular if he was wearing polka dots. Getting the classic and for most people definitive versions of these characters will always be a good move. Besides, these versions appear in all the lego marvel video games the kids are playing today. There are more kids playing those games than there are people reading the comics so these are the best bet IMHO.

Edited by jeff_14

Wow Lego must have made a ton of these. This set has lingered through more clearances than a 5 year old EA Sports game. It was cleared out at Target for 50% off in Spring 2015, Walmart shortly after, Lego Store for $30 during Black Friday and now finally Toys R Us (at a higher price than previous clearances, go figure). The RRP on this set is a joke. You have to figure that this set is really only worth $40 from what's included in the box. The only thing that this set has going for it is that it might be the last X-Men set ever made, but that's not really helping LOTR very much is it? That said, I have 12 of them and hope they someday creep above the ridiculous starting RRP and actually sell.

• 7 months later...

This was also one of my earliest sets I bought when starting out. I'm surprised this is still hovering around RRP on ebay uk. Set has 4 exclusive minifigs (good ones aswell) and xmen is a popular movie. I guess xmen and lego just isn't that popular when compared with other superhero / DC stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

This was also one of my earliest sets I bought when starting out. I'm surprised this is still hovering around RRP on ebay uk. Set has 4 exclusive minifigs (good ones aswell) and xmen is a popular movie. I guess xmen and lego just isn't that popular when compared with other superhero / DC stuff. 

Yeah I have a few of these bought at deep discount... I'm hoping its a sleeper but either way its a great set. Love the blackbird

1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

Snap.  This is one set that has put me right off SH in general though.  
I was convinced that the figs alone would drive this one.  Maybe its because its based on the cartoon (which I'm a huge fan of (yeah I still am :)) so just a bit biased; but it just hasn't preformed as well as i thought it might.  Maybe it needed just another set with some figs to complement it so you could get the whole line up.

If you got in at a good discount then probably doing all-right here.  With the occasional release of x-men films you might see some spurts for this one but unfortunately i think its a slow and steady as opposed to the roller coast jump up then plateau type.

i'm still seeing this set in the wild still at multiple kmarts along with its other investment loser brethren, Milano spaceship.  and i wasn't taking exciter1's time machine out for a ride.  this set had too long a production life - the other sets from its class retired 6 months earlier.  also there was zero marketing or movie -tie in.  i have 10 i bought for 50% off that i probably won't make any money on for another year.  this set is another reason why i stopped putting money into super heros when you can make a killing selling small cheap to ship architecture sets that are largely immune from minifigure knockoffs and re-issues.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2