10230 - Mini Modulars

Ed Mack

They are cool looking, but don't have much play value or as much build value compared to their larger brethren. I'm leaning towards a 'no' on the investment front. I just don't know what demand will be like for them, and since I have some of the full size modulars for personal building, I don't have a huge desire to get them personally. Still cool looking, though.

I think for those looking for a display orientation, they are ideal. That is if you don`t have/prefer not to spend the funds required to get the bigger ones. Minis, provided they are nicely detailed, are just great ways to get that display value at a very small fraction of the price. I`d like to see someone attempt to do this on a medium scale, something larger then mini but smaller then actual. Overall the minis are cute little buildings and it`s fun to see what different uses for small parts builders come up. A row of custom ones combined with official would be a fantastic display piece for a desk or living room shelf.

I really like the Mini Modulars, provided that they are from LEGO Shop at Home. Some of the MOC's out there really aren't all that special, and I can save myself $40 and make my own, though it would take a little while. I just wish that LEGO Shop at Home came out with a more complete collection in the Mini Modular's set to include some of the more recent ones.

They'll probably do a 2nd edition if this first version sells well.

The thing is, that I don't think that this version is doing extremely well, mainly because it is only availible to VIP members. Still would like to have a 2nd edition though, especially since the PPP of this version is so great. $79.99 for 1356, coming out to be $0.06 a piece!

The thing is, that I don't think that this version is doing extremely well, mainly because it is only availible to VIP members. Still would like to have a 2nd edition though, especially since the PPP of this version is so great. $79.99 for 1356, coming out to be $0.06 a piece!

Only available to VIP members? Is that a US thing? I was at the local lego store this week and it was on the shelves.

This set seems to be very rare on EBay UK, just a few buy it nows for above retail. When one came up for auction it went about

Only available to VIP members? Is that a US thing? I was at the local lego store this week and it was on the shelves.

This set seems to be very rare on EBay UK, just a few buy it nows for above retail. When one came up for auction it went about

I think for those looking for a display orientation, they are ideal. That is if you don`t have/prefer not to spend the funds required to get the bigger ones. Minis, provided they are nicely detailed, are just great ways to get that display value at a very small fraction of the price.

When you put it that way, they sound like the same builds found in those Planet sets.

I`d like to see someone attempt to do this on a medium scale, something larger then mini but smaller then actual.

Now that's an idea. Not mini, nor large, but a medium build. A Midi-Modular!

Overall the minis are cute little buildings and it`s fun to see what different uses for small parts builders come up. A row of custom ones combined with official would be a fantastic display piece for a desk or living room shelf.

That would be something. To see someone create an entire MOC mini city comprised of fifty or more different modulars!

All we need now are mini minifigures.

There are microfigures in some of the Games sets. Not sure how they'll look next to a mini modular.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gentlemen,10230 Mini Modulars is an awesome set, and think it is probably a bit of a longer play, but I don't have a gauge on whether this set sells. Not many sell of these sell on eBay, but it's an exclusive. I see a couple issues with it:

1. It's an expensive micro build, and I don't know of any of these that have sold well post EOL.

2. My gut feeling on this is that it doesn't sell well now, so why would it start to sell well later?

3. I WANT it to be good, which usually means it's not going to be.

I'm considering next month's purchases and I'll be picking up a couple of 20200, but I've got another hundo to play with. Thoughts?

For a moment I thought this was on the open forum and when I saw the 20200 went :startle:  lol.

Anyway, I am planning on grabbing a couple myself just in case they turn out to be great investments. As you, I really like the set and would think that it will do well in the secondary market, being a LEGO exclusive and a small scale representation of some of the best sets LEGO has ever released. Serious modular collectors will probably want to add these to their larger models, as they probably look great together, and who knows, maybe the rest of the LEGO buyers will find them unique and interesting as well.

I am really hoping for a second version including some of the newly released sets that are missing from this first set. That should tell us how popular they really are.

They may end up being a niche product, but hey, someone's got to serve it!

I personally think it's a great little set. <emazer's voice>I have quite a few of these put away.</emazer's voice>. There is a really big reseller in my area who has a standing order of 3 of these sets a day since they have been limiting per day purchases on items. She doesn't sit on stuff and is constantly sending them somewhere in Asia. I don't have the numbers off hand but I believe the mini sets from about 8 yeas ago, the spaceport or something, amusement park and something else, have done pretty well and this set is way better than those. Granted, it did take those other sets a long time to mature.

I think it'll be a good long term option as well, especially if like you say they expand the range to the newer modulars.  I bought one a while ago off Ebay thinking they weren't available in NZ but then just a couple of months ago they started to appear here, and retailing for less than I'd paid.  So a bit of a loss on paper for me at present but I'll be holding it long term I think.

It does seem expensive for a small row of micro builds but they are actually built well and nice looking with some unique usage of parts much like their larger brethren. Their relevancy to the modulars each is based on will help in the end too I believe. If and when a second series of mini modulars comes around, they will want the first especially when not available. People can get wierd about wanting something soon as it is gone and will hunt it down with a passion.

• 2 months later...

Yes. Even if it is a flop, at about $0.05 per LEGO piece, it's super easy to part out. I want to pick one up soon to build. Once I do, I can boast that I have a Cafe Corner! :D LOL

There is a risk that LEGO will discountinue 10230 and re-release it with newer modulars like the Palace Cinema, but this version would still retain most of its value, I think. 

Though it could be a concern that it has very little exposure to the general public as a VIP exclusive set, I think it will be a $200 very soon after retirement, whenever that may be.

Yes. Even if it is a flop, at about $0.05 per LEGO piece, it's super easy to part out. I want to pick one up soon to build. Once I do, I can boast that I have a Cafe Corner! :D LOL

There is a risk that LEGO will discountinue 10230 and re-release it with newer modulars like the Palace Cinema, but this version would still retain most of its value, I think. 

Though it could be a concern that it has very little exposure to the general public as a VIP exclusive set, I think it will be a $200 very soon after retirement, whenever that may be.

Point one: I'm not a parter outer. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Point two: Having two mini mods could only be a good thing right? point three: No exposure, why is this set hardly ever mentioned. Point four: $200 EOL. Very nice.

Nice reply and nice points well stated. Still not sure though. AGGRRAH. Now I know how Two Face feels all the time. Can't make my mind up. Decision decisions decisions.

If they make another mini modular set which I think they will, I don't think any of the ones used in this version will be included.

IMO the next mini modular would include the Town Hall, Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, and the next 1 or 2 after that, so it could be awhile

before this one is EOL. That said I think its worth investing in, it's at an attractive retail price, an exclusive, and isn't talked about as much

so it will be under the radar of most investors/collectors. There will be several hundred of the big large expensive sets everyone is stocking

up on for sale so you'll have less competition selling this set.

• Like 1