70803 - Cloud Cuckoo Palace

4cs

I bought 10 of these for $15 each at a shopko bogo50 sale a week after the movie released. I had no luck quick flipping them, and I have no time or patience to part out sets. I kept one for my daughter and returned the other nine. They seem to be readily available in my area as well. For those waiting for a deal on these, shopko bogo50 sales are the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I bought 10 of these for $15 each at a shopko bogo50 sale a week after the movie released. I had no luck quick flipping them, and I have no time or patience to part out sets. I kept one for my daughter and returned the other nine. They seem to be readily available in my area as well. For those waiting for a deal on these, shopko bogo50 sales are the way to go.

Really? When the first wave went oos I sold mine.for $32-$35

Really? When the first wave went oos I sold mine.for $32-$35

I had mine listed at $39.99 buy it now with free shipping. No takers. At $35 I'd only be making about $7-$8 profit on each, so I listed them a tad higher to try and clear $10 to make it a little more worthwhile. I don't normally try to quick flip sets. It's too much work, and you need to move serious volume to make anything substantial.

I had mine listed at $39.99 buy it now with free shipping. No takers. At $35 I'd only be making about $7-$8 profit on each, so I listed them a tad higher to try and clear $10 to make it a little more worthwhile. I don't normally try to quick flip sets. It's too much work, and you need to move serious volume to make anything substantial.

Yeah if I did my math right I cleared $10 in profit, but bad for literally positing and selling right away

• 1 month later...

Or, you can part it out, time after time, make some money, and then buy a bunch in a year to hold. There really isn't any reason to hoard this set now, is there?

If you have the time, do the above. Parting out is all about the quantity much of the time, small margins big quantity can make you quite a bit of money in exchange for time. Got to figure out what works best for you. 

What's the general consensus on the long term outlook on the movie sets? My thoughts are that parting out while the movie is still fresh in everyone's minds would be the way to go with these. Except for Benny's spaceship and the sea cow, does the rest of this line have serious growth potential several years from now once eol and after the movie(s) have come and gone? I don't part out, so I do not currently own a single movie set for resale. My kids have a few in our personal collection.

What's the general consensus on the long term outlook on the movie sets? My thoughts are that parting out while the movie is still fresh in everyone's minds would be the way to go with these. Except for Benny's spaceship and the sea cow, does the rest of this line have serious growth potential several years from now once eol and after the movie(s) have come and gone? I don't part out, so I do not currently own a single movie set for resale. My kids have a few in our personal collection.

Cuckoo is the only small set I like from the movie theme. Only place to get unikitty. 

I parted out several of these when the movie first came out and there was a shortage. Did very well selling on Amazon and eBay. Supply caught up with demand and it seemed like you could find this set easily so I stopped. Haven't been following the prices on the minifigs lately. If the minifigs are still selling well then there is no reason not to part it put. I assume this set will be around at least through the end of the year and you can get more for long term holding. It will be interesting to see if demand increases for these sets at Christmas. I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What would be the best way to get 5-10 of these?  Online/brick and morter/etc.?

If you want cheap. Look for them on sale. I don't know if any store has them on sale at the moment, but when they come on sale you could buy a few. Another way to get some is to buy some from LEGO Shop at Home or a Lego store and use VIP points to lower the cost. If your order qualifies for the two promos, you could sell the promos to lower the cost as well. You could try looking on Bricklink to see if there are any selling that have it for a decent price.

• 4 months later...

Meijer is clearancing these at $14.99. What's the consensus on the investment outlook for this set? (Not interested if your general opinion is that small sets aren't worth the time/effort - please reply only if you have an opinion on the ROI at the ~$15 buy-in!) Thanks!

I was looking forward to selling this last Christmas for a high ROI, but obviously that didn't work out.  After retirement, I expect this set will have the highest ROI of the entire line.  I will only pay less than $15 to buy more of this set so that if it hits double retail, I can still double my money.

If it retires soon, $15 is a good price, but I think it might linger all year (especially at TRU).  If the Lego Movie stays relevant in kids' lives, this is the only set with the classic Unikitty, and it will be very valuable at some point.

My recommendation is buy some, but don't clear the shelf.