31026 - Bike Shop & Cafe

StarCityBrickCompany

Does anyone know if the Bike Shop & Cafe has the same size as the mini modulars? Do both sets fit or not really? If so, could someone maybe take a photo of both side-by-side and post it? Thanks in advance!

All builds in the Bike Shop & Cafe set are larger than the mini modulars and don't use the same system of connection if that's what you mean.

• 2 months later...

Mini mods are already selling for 130-160, they were all over LEGO Shop at Home for 64 for weeks, so its already double your investment after fees, better than FB, and many other sets this first half of the year.  If they come out with a second round this will reach $200 easy.  Not sure what numbers others are looking at as they bag on it.  Anytime I double my money in 8 months its a great investment.

Is this set the same size as modulars?

No. Someone shared a picture of them side by side and the sizes are just too different to fit nicely. Nor do they fit with the mini modulars - it is something in between, which is kind of disappointing for me. You can buy three, build all variants and that looks nice, but then for that price you can go into modulars easily too.

One of this set yields enough parts to make a modular type house with at least one floor or two within a 16x16 area. I believe two of the set should suffice a sufficient sized modular in a 16x32 space which after spending $179.98 (before tax) ending up with a total of 2,046 pieces makes it $20 and 720 parts less than the Town Hall. Although perhaps not fantastic sounding of a deal right off that actually isn

This set is smaller than the modulars, both in height and footprint. But if you are creating a town scene, the main modulars could be on the main road and these smaller ones could make up the side streets.

At half the price of most modulars I think this is a good buy, especially if you can get a discount. Have not seen any discounts yet though.

• 2 months later...

Okay, well... nobody would advise me if it was a good deal... but... "poof"... thanks guys... thanks alot.

;)

Actually, I have a TRU gift card, and some rewards... probably the better way to go for me anyway.

I'm sure you'll see it discounted at that price point again sometime in the future.  Great set and I already have a couple.

I can get them for 45 euros against 75 euros oficial price but I am having second thoughts - it is early in the lifecycle and it does look more kids creator tan for adults. I am caught between getting this or the Arctic base for the same price, what do you guys think?

I can get them for 45 euros ...caught between getting this or the Arctic base for the same price, what do you guys think?

For long term, I think both should be available for quite a while.  But for Christmas, I think the Arctic Base would be a better bet.  It reminds me of "The Mine" from 2 years ago.  I wasn't a brickvestor then, just a dad trying to get his 4-year-old the only thing he really he wanted for Christmas.  I waited around looking for a better discount... I was lucky to get one at regular retail about mid-November, because that's when they all disappeared. They were selling for 50% - 90% over retail in December.  I just don't see kids getting THAT excited about the Bike Shop.  Even if it did sell out in November, I don't think it would have the same upside as the Arctic set.

• Like 1

I can get them for 45 euros against 75 euros oficial price but I am having second thoughts - it is early in the lifecycle and it does look more kids creator tan for adults. I am caught between getting this or the Arctic base for the same price, what do you guys think?

45 is good price. It will not get that much lower. Wether it has that much potential, I have my reservations. I bought 2 of these for around that price.

• Like 1

I see sets like this as an introduction for the masses towards the larger (and pricier) modular houses. It is bigger than the regular Creator houses of years past (yet fit in nicely with all those) but at the same time smaller than the $150+ designs; an 'inbetweener' if you will (and if the term even existed). This is what most will find in their local stores and possibly use to 'take the plunge' with into the realm of Lego reality. Sure spending $160 for a modular can seem extravagant but then again when you just spent half that on a significantly smaller house, that $160 doesn't sound like much of a stretch especially for what you get. I hope designs like this continue onwards into the future and judging by next year's Toy & Grocery Store, they will indeed.

• Like 1

The set is interesting to me because it is the first of a series (I think).  Isn't it the first of series?... Anyone... correct me?  If the series becomes popular and continues, this would be the "Cafe Corner" of the set.  But I don't think it has that likelihood to explode in value.  As others have said, it seems to be the perfect "modular for kids".  I think as those kids grow, most will want to graduate to the full sized modulars (if they continue to exist).  If it becomes rare, it may increase in value, but - as a parent - I would have a hard time spending 125 Euro on this, when I could get a Palace Cinema for just a little more.  I think the full sized modulars would cap the value on these.  Now if the full sized modulars were to die out, and this smaller scale becomes the "new" modular city, then this set could become very desirable.

I have not yet purchased any as an investment - just 1 for the family to build.