9468 - Vampyre Castle

nolanfan34

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone has been hoping TRU will finally run out, but there have been a number of opportunities to get them in the states around $90 the last few months.  Many investors go them at much better prices so it will probably be a while before the price goes up.

Here are a few threads of discussion about the VC:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6909-vampire-castle-or-haunted-house/?hl=vampire

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6620-vampyre-castle-9468-back-in-stock-on-lego-shop/?hl=vampire+castle#entry183484

• Like 1

If your local store has it for less than $90, I would jump on it if its for a personal collection.

Otherwise, I would wait for the next good wave of TRU coupons and pair that up with a discount gift card from raise.com (affiliated with Brickpicker) or cardpool (some have reported issues with this company, I have had none).

Like others have said, I think it will be a while before this one appreciates so no rush unless the local store price is really good.

• Like 1

Well, I think it's always a bet to buy a LEGO for investing... For example, I have some set who was release in 2009 from Star Wars... And it's just becoming a good investment... I think we have to be patient, in the meantime we can be lucky to buy the good set sometime... BTW, if we can make 10% CAGR for each set we buy for investment, I think it's a good yield... Like purchasing stocks on the market, 10% is an excellent yield in the long run... But can the popularity of LEGO be successful enough to be sure it's gonna worth money in 2-3-4-5 years... It's another bet too... There's so much theme, so much set, I think they will be some winner and loser... Hopefully, Star Wars theme is like buying blue chip on the stock market and I like blue chip...

The lingering stock of VC is making it a long term investment, not a quick flipper.  It's not going to jump up that much this Halloween, and you'll probably get modest returns at best next Halloween.  There's just too much stock out there.  The bet on this set is that Lego might never do a Halloween theme again, so 3-5 years down the road this set and the Haunted House (and really any MF set) is going to do well.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I think theres a disturbing lack of interest in the secondary market similar to helms deep.

My thoughts exactly but, the 9468 is still available nearly everywhere even at a discount.  The HD performance is disappointing too.

My advice... 99% of Lego sets are good, this set is really good, the only problem is there are other sets from other themes that are faster & higher sellers, get a few of these if you like it, but don't go crazy. Sooner or later Lego will release something similar along the Halloween theme or an incorperated horror line. These will go up value, but not every set, in fact, a limited number of sets are good quick flippers.

I have 3 of these. Bought them at RRP cause I got into the game only at the end of last December. I have a feeling it will become more and more difficult to make money on sets. Only the smart guys will make a buck in the future and I do not know if I will be one of them. Helm's deep is disappointing as well at the moment. Hopefully it will get better later. 

Helms deep has not even been retired for a year, I don't know what the panic is, it is a high priced set. Makes me laugh seeing people make the same mistake time and time over and over again, selling their investment far too early or thinking one theme is moving faster than the other or one size set is better than another.

• Like 1

I agree with you. All we need is patience. Just from what I see is that it is not as easy as before. It is all a new ball game now. For me, the sets that sold the best were the ones that you would not expect (Chima and City). The sets that got burned down by many critics sell the easiest. That is my humble experience for now. 

In my professional experience most investors are really good at losing money. They have wrong expectations. Our immediate satisfaction culture propogates this. These are illiquid assets. You better plan for a longer hold. Fantastic return potential though. None of the monster fighters or first run lotr are availabble in my whole state.

It's sad with that's going on with the Vamp Castle as an investor. While I'm happy the public still has an opportunity to buy it at retail but TRU just jacks up the price like a reseller. However, TRU avoids the neg feedback that resellers get,

TRU is just "meh". Then again, Lego feels they prob still owe TRU since the retailer helped them in 2003 and 2004 (the hard years).

In my professional experience most investors are really good at losing money. They have wrong expectations. Our immediate satisfaction culture propogates this. These are illiquid assets. You better plan for a longer hold. Fantastic return potential though. None of the monster fighters or first run lotr are availabble in my whole state.

Yeah, people forget that 25% gains were a norm during the 1st year after retirement. Some of us have been spoiled with surreal gains from recent sets like Hulk Helicarrier, 71999, FB, etc...