Buyer didn't receive item

Call the delivery post office branch yourself - you can find the phone number by typing the buyer's zip code and "post office" into Google.

Sometimes, I like to check up on a buyer's story. If he has been "going round" with USPS, the branch office should be able to verify that and describe what steps they are taking to help locate the "lost" package.

In some cases, buyers claim to have done a lot more legwork than they actually have.

If I found that a buyer really had been raising the roof at the post office and doing everything he could on his end to get an actually lost package, it would affect my subsequent energy level in helping him, even though you don't "have" to in this case since the item shows delivered.

• Like 4

Only had this happen to me once so far(knock on wood), I told the buyer I would call their post office and see if they can find out the location.  The buyer responded within an hour and said they received the package and to not do that.  If you have insurance on the package, you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all your help! I contacted his local post office and they stated that yes the person has been in asking about the package. They pulled the driver and the driver said he left it on his door step as he's done with previous packages.

I'll go through the claims service online and let the buyer know.

Thanks again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

the advice given so far is awesome.  i would only add one suggestion going forward. 

Use delivery signature confirmation.   i tell buyers up-front the $2.95 is required along with insurance.  it's another layer to help avoid these problems.  it has helped me in the past.  ...and if the delivery man doesn't get the signature, let his manager deal with it as it was out of your control

obviously, you wouldn't use signature confirmation on lower priced purchase.  it's up to you where to draw the line and require that option.  for me, I usually require it on $100 purchases.  however, i do use it when my gut feeling tells me to on a lower purchase like last weekend with a used $74 Harry Potter Dumbledore's Office set.

• Like 5

the advice given so far is awesome.  i would only add one suggestion going forward. 

Use delivery signature confirmation.   i tell buyers up-front the $2.95 is required along with insurance.  it's another layer to help avoid these problems.  it has helped me in the past.  ...and if the delivery man doesn't get the signature, let his manager deal with it as it was out of your control

obviously, you wouldn't use signature confirmation on lower priced purchased.  it's up to you where to draw the line and require that option.

Yup, with signature confirmation, the postal worker is not going to just leave the package in front of the buyer's door.

How much was the item? Do not just start requiring delivery signature confirmation for items below $250.

Just follow Frog's advice.

Why not require signature confirmation for some times under $250?  The extra $3 for this service really helps win the most majority of claims.

How much was the item? Do not just start requiring delivery signature confirmation for items below $250.

Just follow Frog's advice.

If you ship USPS and buy insurance they require a signature for anything valued more than $200.

Everyone has their own risk tolerance. Personally I insure and use signature conformation for anything over $100, but that's just me. Either pay the extra for the shipping upgrades now or pay for a lost or scammed item later. It's all the same.

• Like 1

Are you saying that I sale an item for 199 and tracking confirms that it was delivered that isn't enough to win with paypay? That I need an extra little push with signature confirmation with an item below 250. I am not buying it.

If you are worried about lost or damaged items during the mail process, sure 3rd party insure those but i don't see the benefit of adding extra cost to an item that is below 250 for delivery confirmation with paypal.

On side point, almost all of my US domestic items that are 100 or above are typically shipped FedEx because they tend to be cheaper and then for an extra dollar or so I use a third party for shipping insurance. I never require delivery confirmation for an item below 250. If it gets lost or damaged I just file a claim that I paid a buck for. If the buyer claims the item wasn't delivered but tracking shows that it was delivered paypal will support me in that case.

My main point was not insurance. Sure, insure whatever you want for damage or being lost. But i don't get the point of giving the advice that you should get delivery signature confirmation for items below 250 to help win a case for non delivery when tracking shows it was delivered. Paypal will support you for items below 250 if tracking shows it delivered.

Are you saying that I sale an item for 199 and tracking confirms that it was delivered that isn't enough to win with paypay? That I need an extra little push with signature confirmation with an item below 250. I am not buying it.

If you are worried about lost or damaged items during the mail process, sure 3rd party insure those but i don't see the benefit of adding extra cost to an item that is below 250 for delivery confirmation with paypal.

I'm saying that if something is damaged during shipping I would rather not eat it. You can either purchase insurance or self insure. I prefer to mitigate the risk.

good advice by migration.

furthermore, paypal  'recommends' signature confirmation for orders over $250.  having that signature option even for a $200 order will help you win nearly every claim.  sometimes peace of mind is worth the $3 as some buyers might think twice about delivery lying.   i then consider the insurance as protection in-case the package does get actually loss or stolen.  I had a seller mail me a loose Tower Bridge.  Only prob was the box arrived empty.   The seller was covered by the insurance.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more

• Like 1

On side point, almost all of my US domestic items that are 100 or above are typically shipped FedEx because they tend to be cheaper and then for an extra dollar or so I use a third party for shipping insurance. I never require delivery confirmation for an item below 250. If it gets lost or damaged I just file a claim that I paid a buck for. If the buyer claims the item wasn't delivered but tracking shows that it was delivered paypal will support me in that case.

agreed. 

international shipping as you're aware is a whole diff ballgame.  what do you do for international postage in-terms of carrier and options?

Ebay...their international program.

Bricklink, I follow paypal's guidelines for internationals sales. Buyer pays shipping so I do not worry about the cost so much. I even have them pay for 3rd party insurance if I feel it is warranted.

The thing about insurance is that you buy insurance or insure yourself. If you sale 1000 items and pay roughly even a dollar for each item that is 1000 dollars. I bet you, of those one thousand 100 dollar items that you sold, maybe one will get lost. So if you didn't buy insurance for those 1000 items and lost one item you would be out 100 dollars. If bought insurance, and lost one item you would be out 900 dollars.

I get the law of averages, but I am more likely to sell 999 minifigs or used sets in the $10-$50 range and then 1 sealed set for $100+, so I'm only out $4 or so if I insure and do signature conformation on the $100 set. When I started selling on eBay I decided that $50 was what I could stand to lose, over the years my risk tolerance has gone up to $100. At some point I'm sure it will go up again, but for now it's $100. Every seller needs to figure out their own tolerance for risk, there is no "one size fits all" answer.

FedEx automatically insures up to 100. So domestically, just ship with fedex if the item is 100 dollars or so.

Once again, I get that you might want to insure it for loss or damage, but I still do not get the signature confirmation part. If it doesn't make it there, file your claim, if it makes it there based on tracking, then paypal will support you. The signature confirmation on a 100 dollar item is unnecessary.

FedEx automatically insures up to 100. So domestically, just ship with fedex if the item is 100 dollars or so.

Once again, I get that you might want to insure it for loss or damage, but I still do not get the signature confirmation part. If it doesn't make it there, file your claim, if it makes it there based on tracking, then paypal will support you. The signature confirmation on a 100 dollar item is unnecessary.

Agreed. If the buyer is going to claim damage, real or imagined, a signature confirmation doesn't help you any more than delivery confirmation. All you need to do to prove delivery is delivery confirmation until you get to $250. If it's marked "delivered" but it gets stolen off their porch or the carrier takes it to the wrong house, it's not your problem.

Insurance against loss or damage is a separate issue. The rule of thumb with insurance is that you insure what you cannot afford to refund. If that's $10, it's time to reconsider your business model. :-D At $100, or $200, or $1000, it starts to make some sense some of the time for some sellers.

A few thoughts...

We are talking about items closer to $200 than $100. Obviously, Priority gives you $50 fee (or more) insurance and other carriers give you $100 (or more) depending on the service.

Signature conformation is more about the paypal claims process for items , again, closer to $250 than $100.

Some of us don't want to deal with paypal claims that could be avoided especially if we lose that claim and USPS fights is on the insurance. Time spent is also a factor.

Generally speaking in my experience, buyers who are informed of what their sellers are requiring with shipping are less likely to cause troubles

Credit to Ed (Emazers)... I'm also starting to seriously consider USPS Global Express for international sales.  I've had too many close calls with $500+ sales including 2 $1100 ones.

• Like 1

Jaison, I'm confused what sort of protection you think signature confirmation gives you with PayPal on <$250 shipments?

PayPal is looking at one thing if the buyer claims non-delivery: does the carrier show it delivered? If yes, was the item <$250? If yes, seller wins claim. There is no "borderline" or "gray area" - the $250 is a hard line on delivery disputed PayPal claims.

If the buyer is claiming damage, it makes no difference whether there's delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, or a smoke signal barely visible in the distance - at that point the seller can agree to a return or process a refund.