Number of sets per original LEGO shipping carton or case

18 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Move me if this pollutes this topic, but have mixed thoughts on benefit of Lego cartons.

Had 2 MFs from TRU delivered today in carton as shipping box (tight, no padding obviously). One MF was good, other has partially squashed corner.

Last week TRUTH I also purchased 2 MF in case in store because they had the empty display box with spider. That seemed nice (perfect specimens).

From B&N bnjune30 slip I have received 3 Temple of Airjitzu. 2 in right size shipping box with decent pillows. Both were perfect.

Ironically the third Temple was shipped alone in Lego case with pillow padding to fill space left from other copy, and has partially crushed corner. Lego case number for Temple is 2.

My conclusion is that Lego cases aren't as beefy/strong as a standard shipping box, not that that is guaranteed.

So aside from the fun of knowing the case quantity can someone enlighten me why I would use that as an ordering strategy?

Have others received case sealed sets in an outer box, effectively double boxed for shipping?

Thanks!

The quality of packaging has always been highly inconsistent among many stores, but in the case of cartons, I've had good luck ordering from Walmart, but only as store pickup, not shipped to home. I don't know if the carton is shipped to the store within another box, but so far, they've been in good shape.

However, the other point in my preference is that if it's still in a sealed carton, then we at least know it wasn't a set pulled off a shelf, sat on, and retaped w/ missing minifigures. :(

6 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Very good point about shelf stock and possible resealing as reason for ordering cases!

I haven't done much online order for pickup. Just grab in store case if available as mentioned with MFs.

Most appreciated@lodibricks

@BearCrash I'll have to try at SaH and see.

Is avoiding shipped shelf stock main reason for everyone else?

I like getting the cartons because you can store your sets in boxes while maximizing space.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, jgschmieg3 said:

Not true.  I received a 10188 in retail packing and a recent Porsche.

Interesting, I stand corrected.

19 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Ooo. I bought 4 7965 from a lego store in cases....

We were talking about purchased online and shipped from Lego LEGO Shop at Home.

I also recieved a 10188 in their shipping container, that was also packaged in another larger box and padded with that brown paper.  With the extremely large sets, they seem to do that, but for sets that are in a standard modular sized box, they seem to never ship them that way.

If the Disney Castle is in a death star/ghostbusters firehouse sized box, i'd bet it is packaged in a single shipping case.

Edited by fossilrock

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I also recieved a 10188 in their shipping container, that was also packaged in another larger box and padded with that brown paper.  With the extremely large sets, they seem to do that, but for sets that are in a standard modular sized box, they seem to never ship them that way.

If the Disney Castle is in a death star/ghostbusters firehouse sized box, i'd bet it is packaged in a single shipping case.

The first one I got was not in a retail box.  Just a lego shipping box.

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Castles are 2 per case

20161005_003525.jpg

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, PolarWolf said:

Anyone know how many 21024 Louvre and 21019 Eiffeltower? Thank You.

I think it varies according to factory as I've had 21020 Trevi Fountains in boxes of 4 (John Lewis) and 6 (Amazon). I know the object of this is to order in the correct amount so that you get them packaged in a factory box but, you're lucky to get that these days unless you order from LEGO, John Lewis or Asda.

I've not ordered 21024 or 21019 so I'll let an "expert" answer that for you ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Few updates from recent JL orders:

Y Wing: 3 per carton
U Wing: 4 per carton
Krennic Shuttle: 4 per cartoon

The Y wing caught me out, I thought there was 4 in a carton, so I have 3 in mint boxes and 1 smashed up in typical JL fashion lol, but will build that one later.