6873 - Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush

trenty1990

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, and for the US at least it is a Walmart exclusive.

I think this set is flying under the radar and prob rightfully so. While I like it, the set doesn't have much going for it except if you like

Iron Fist and think Doc Ock won't be in future sets.

These were nearly impossible to find in my area from Oct to April. Now I'm seeing many copies in each Walmart. Walmart.com also has a nice bundle deal with Capt America's motorcycle ($35).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lego-Super-Heroes-Spiderman-and-Captain-America-Play-Sets-Bundle/22437357

• 1 year later...

Strange, but I`m thinking the Doc Ock Truck Heist might have something to do with it. It`s cheaper, and includes a variation of the 2 main figures. The Ambush is one that I think has largely been undervalued as a whole. Lots of sales on it (or so I`ve seen), and it hasn`t appeared to be nearly as popular as some of the others. For this reason I`ve been inclined to think it could very well turn out to be a high performing investment in the long run. People may want it later (1 year, 2 perhaps, possibly more). Give it time, if things don`t start to look better a year from now, maybe considering selling, but it`s probably too early to tell. Only thing that concerns me, and it is possibly a very large concern, is the Truck Heist. Why would a buyer pay quite a bit more for not as much? Ambush is a bit plain, and I think it would have already done much better if not for the Truck Heist. Still, give it time  :thumbsup:

From the prespective of a collector more so than a investor, I ignored the Doc Ock Ambush as soon as I saw the TrucK Heist set. I didn't see the point in paying basically 3x as much in the aftermarket, for a less than impressive set only to get Iron Fist and a variant of Doc Ock . I bought the Heist set for $15 and then the Iron Fist Fig for like $10. That's still easily half the price people want for Ambush now. I think for the average person would do as I did. However, I think it still holds value to completionists, and people who want all the Super Hero minifigs and their variants. It may just be at a ceiling, at least until people can't really find the minifigs on their own anymore.

From the prespective of a collector more so than a investor, I ignored the Doc Ock Ambush as soon as I saw the TrucK Heist set. I didn't see the point in paying basically 3x as much in the aftermarket, for a less than impressive set only to get Iron Fist and a variant of Doc Ock . I bought the Heist set for $15 and then the Iron Fist Fig for like $10. That's still easily half the price people want for Ambush now. I think for the average person would do as I did. However, I think it still holds value to completionists, and people who want all the Super Hero minifigs and their variants. It may just be at a ceiling, at least until people can't really find the minifigs on their own anymore.

I'm in this same boat.  I think the Truck Heist is a better set overall, the Doc Ock figure in it looks better than in the lab set (my opinion, of course), and can be bought on sale.

In this same respect, I'm a little worried about the spider cycle's performance given the same venom figure is in another brand new set.  Hoping Nick Fury can carry the set a little bit, although there's probably a good chance we'll see him again at some point.

• 8 months later...

Acting as a topic archeologist now... but with a solid question... where do we stand now with this set? In central Europe it is still a flop. Thinking about dumping my stack of these. Any opinions?

Would very much like to go back and edit my post from May. This set is a dud by all accounts, I thought then maybe we`de see a double in value because most people appeared to overlook it, but that doesn`t appear to be the case anymore. Maybe in a couple years, but really who wants to wait that long for a set like this? I called it wrong, but now I`d suggest dumping whatever anyone has of this, taking what they can, and re-investing elsewhere.