10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

I purchased the other day in lego store going to build it this saturday cant wait many mods to do to it. i bought one just to build could not wait any longer and figured mise well pick up the free polly bag with it. if your planning to invest proably gona wait very long for retirment, i would say purchase at the end of march for to double vips points or wait for sale.

It is my first modular build and I have found out something.......I'm not a modular guy. I would rather build a SW set any day!!! Modulars are only for investment for this guy from now on!

I find I have to agree. I previously built both Cafe Corner and Market Street - I bought the pieces and built the sets for resale - and realized I wasn't a fan of the modulars. the Cinema looked promising so I actually took it out of the box to build. The experience was not as funa s Star Wars or the Sculptures are for me.

That said, for a modular set I do find it to be one of my favourites. It just looks cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved building it, but it was definitely a time commitment - it's probably the biggest set I've ever purchased, let alone built. The level of detail is awesome, and I love how easy it is to remove each 'floor' (this is my first modular, so it's a new experience for me.) The one thing I'm not a fan of is the use of stickers, but I'm not of that on any set.

If anyone wants to sell their red base plate I will pay 30 for it.

It`s going for about $15 on Bricklink.

Personally, I think the set is great. My second favourite (Cafe Corner is #1), and will definitely pick one up down the road. I`m loving the genuine vintage feel and that red baseplate, which I think was included just to bring up the overall value. And of course, how doesn`t admire those wonderful posters?

If anyone wants to sell their red base plate I will pay 30 for it.

I know this was posted some time ago, but you can probably get them from Lego for a lot less, just search for them in the Pick a Brick section and search the set number. I've been able to get baseplates that way in the past.

It is but.............it just came out a month ago so you will have plenty of time to pick one up at a discounted price. I built one a month and a half ago and it was a fun build. The modular I find to be the best is the grand emprorium, I have one to build and one to invest in. The Fire brigade will be gone soon son if you don't have one I would pick one up!

haha.nicely said. Guess i will get it soon. It looks really fun. yeah i have already got 2 x Grand Emporium and 2 x Fire Brigade. All for investment, waiting for it to stop selling in shops. Looking at the boxes and not able to open to play it is torturous though.

I agree the GE is my favorite modular build so far. If you are looking to get the cinema as an investment I would definitely hold off. It just came out so you wont be able to turn a profit on this for a few years at least. I would spend your money elsewhere. Also this set might eventually be sold on Amazon and other retailers where you will be able to find it cheaper (or at least without tax and free shipping). Only time will tell if this is an investment winner. We will have to see how the FB and GE do once they are finally retired. Even then if those do well it might cause even more to jump in and buy up a lot of the PC. I think we will have to wait and see as time goes on if the modulars are worth the investment in the future. Things may change in a big way over the next couple years. You just never know.

Good question. This set has just recently come out, so you probably have at least 2 years to decide. Buildings that look like Modulars such as the Haunted House, and as you mentioned, the Market Street, tend to have similar running times of at least 2 years. I don't think that it being a Creator set means that it will increase like other larger-scaled Creator sets. All Lego themes generally have some good performing sets, and some poor performing sets, so what I am trying to get is that you can't necessarily say that a certain set will be amazing just because some other sets in the same theme have performed well. A good example is the 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon. It is the MOST VALUABLE Lego set out there, and is worth over $2,400, though it did retail for $500. Does that mean that the all the Star Wars sets that come after it will quadruple in price? Not at all. I think that all the Modular-like sets have investment potential, though it just depends on how long you, the investor, are willing to wait for it to appreciate. I would say that you should buy some of the other Modular-ish sets first, like the Grand Emporium or the Fire Brigade.

Thanks! I guess our best bet will be GE and FB for now.

Those two have been out the longest I think, so yeah, great choice! If you are interested, also look into some Star Wars UCS sets, like the B-Wing or R2D2. Similar price range, and I think they will appreciate better IMO...or at least that is my dream. ;)

Yeah Star wars set are very nicely designed. I am also a fan of that and have already got a few sets. Me and my friend have been trying sooooo hard to source for an affordable Millennium Falcon but to no avail.

Lol, I think this is what people were saying when it was worth $1,500! :) It's going up, and up and up!!!