10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

I have all the post-GE modulars for my personal display, and only ever bought 1 PS for investment (flipped it last xmas for a $50 profit). Given the market & my diminishing reselling, I was planning to sit this one out - or at least hold out for a lucrative fall promo kicker.

My plan failed. I snapped up a couple before it went into backorder mode...

• Like 1

Well, I flinched are ran out to the Lego Store 15min away from me. Got the second to last one in the store. Passed on the other one...I have a feeling this set will magically come back in stock.

Also, I grabbed a couple more 75192 brochures and got the Nijango dragon and poster freebies.

IMG_1996.thumb.JPG.66fddddfd9a16bcad1dd9d96901fafd7.JPG

Saw one (and passed) at my local LEGO store today. Manager chatted me up, said he'd hadn't seen me in quite a while. Told him that I just haven't seen anything worth loading up on lately and am kinda getting out of the hobby, he confessed the store (one of the highest volume ones in the US) is getting crushed this spring/summer.

Apparently in-store sales have taken a notable dive across the entire region, and the buzz amongst managers is they're drowning in an onslaught of big ticket ($150+) sets the last few waves now, and they just aren't moving off the shelves. Parents walk in, see every other set with $100+ prices, and quickly conclude "LEGO is too damn expensive" (the $20-50 price point sets are drown out by the monsters).

Maybe LEGO corporate will take notice and start tightening up EOL cycles... but I'd bet they'll just focus on blitzing out yet another movie within a month or 2 of Ninjago's release instead...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Saw one (and passed) at my local LEGO store today. Manager chatted me up, said he'd hadn't seen me in quite a while. Told him that I just haven't seen anything worth loading up on lately and am kinda getting out of the hobby, he confessed the store (one of the highest volume ones in the US) is getting crushed this spring/summer.

Apparently in-store sales have taken a notable dive across the entire region, and the buzz amongst managers is they're drowning in an onslaught of big ticket ($150+) sets the last few waves now, and they just aren't moving off the shelves. Parents walk in, see every other set with $100+ prices, and quickly conclude "LEGO is too damn expensive" (the $20-50 price point sets are drown out by the monsters).

Maybe LEGO corporate will take notice and start tightening up EOL cycles... but I'd bet they'll just focus on blitzing out yet another movie within a month or 2 of Ninjago's release instead... emoji849.png

Makes total sense. The first thing you see when you walk into a Lego Store now is a $800USD MF. And the window displays are full of expensive sets.

There's going to be a lot of unhappy kids on Christmas morning when Santa doesn't leave a 75192 under the tree.

Are these videos really a good idea? By telling people what to buy, those sets will probably be widely hoarded. Even if viewers are just buying a one or two to sit on * 10% of the views now we are adding many more copies available on secondary market than before.

Edited by tacsniper

Are these videos really a good idea? By telling people what to buy, those sets will probably be widely hoarded. Even if viewers are just buying a one or two to sit on * 10% of the views now we are adding many more copies available on secondary market than before.

Good. Let the fools buy them. It's called misdirection. I should start my own channel and recommend everything I'm not buying. I'll just talk about box size saving time by only carrying one thing instead of all those pesky city starters...perhaps I've said too much

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Good. Let the fools buy them. It's called misdirection. I should start my own channel and recommend everything I'm not buying. I'll just talk about box size saving time by only carrying one thing instead of all those pesky city starters...perhaps I've said too much

I'm all looking forward to the episode where@Donbee extolls the virtues of investing in Iron Golem sets.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tacsniper said:

Remember when people were told by the brickshow to invest in the batcopter with man bat. Wonder how thats working out for them. ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eliminator said:

Well, I flinched are ran out to the Lego Store 15min away from me.

Got the second to last one in the store. Passed on the other one...I have a feeling this set will magically come back in stock.

Also, I grabbed a couple more 75192 brochures and got the Nijango dragon and poster freebies.

IMG_1996.JPG

it is not "you feel that this set will magically come back in stock". It is that Lego will strategically have it come back in stock. It is a usual trick.

5 hours ago, tyclin said:

it is not "you feel that this set will magically come back in stock". It is that Lego will strategically have it come back in stock. It is a usual trick.

Indeed, hence the reason I only picked up one for now. I feel that this modular is one of the weakest in the line and I have no plans to invest too much into this one. Maybe 2 copies max.

Oddly, the store manager I was chatting up said that if this set comes back in stock and goes on sale for 20% for me to just come back (within the next 90 days as long as the product is in stock) and they would do a price adjustment. This is the first time I've ever been enticed by this option by a Lego Store employee...perhaps an indication of slower sales?

Edited by eliminator

I'm all looking forward to the episode where[mention=64929]Donbee[/mention] extolls the virtues of investing in Iron Golem sets.

Lol. You Remember that?
But now, I can hardly find them anymore and I never saw them go on clearance. Someone swooped them up.
Maybe I should've taken my own advice.