10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

Sold out at both Toys R Us and John Lewis, back-ordered to 4th Oct on LEGO Shop at Home. 

Since I caved, and also convinced my friend to cave (twice the fun @Val-E), I have a couple of seal codes.

Ordered mine from Toys R Us, code is 12S7. Friend bought his from a Lego store, and that has 28S7. I'm not really sure how Toys R Us went from having March sets to being OOS so quickly, but maybe these were the last on the shelf, behind newer ones. Not sure what, if anything, that actually means. 

1 hour ago, Captain_chaos said:

Sold out at both Toys R Us and John Lewis, back-ordered to 4th Oct on LEGO Shop at Home. 

Since I caved, and also convinced my friend to cave (twice the fun @Val-E), I have a couple of seal codes.

Ordered mine from Toys R Us, code is 12S7. Friend bought his from a Lego store, and that has 28S7. I'm not really sure how Toys R Us went from having March sets to being OOS so quickly, but maybe these were the last on the shelf, behind newer ones. Not sure what, if anything, that actually means. 

My local TRU usually only have 1-2 of each of the expensive sets on the shelf with many in the back. So i bet they replaced it/them once you left.

Were they discounted?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

More eyes were on the Palace Cinema than the Pet Shop so expect widespread hoarding and suppressed prices for a long time. Even though the PC looks superb, I just don’t expect great things due to PS “failure”. Buy with caution I think - I’m leaving it well alone apart from the one in my collection.

I think this set is the litmus test for the future investment potential of modulars. 

It's a great set, a corner building and would do well post retirement under normal circumstances. It will be interesting to see how many casual investors burnt by PS have decided to leave this one alone.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think this set is the litmus test for the future investment potential of modulars. 

The Pet Shop was and it failed miserably so I have no hope whatsoever for the Palace Cinema even though it is a superb set.

I still think that the PS is as good as the PC because it could be split in two unlike other modulars. I've seen the PC on sale in so many places that I think this will be even more heavily hoarded than the PS.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

Is that not a given since you're out of the buying game anyway?

I'm out of the "game" during 2017 as I stated originally, but I may be back in 2018 if the right sets at the right price come along. If this is the case, I will be buying a very limited selection of sets and all of a similar size so that I can get big discounts from box suppliers. Who knows, I could be posting a photo of my 1,000 Saturn V rockets this time next year - why would I need to buy any other set?

Even if I was back in the game right now, I'd not be touching any more modulars as the Pet Shop has proved that investing in these is over.

5 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The Pet Shop was and it failed miserably so I have no hope whatsoever for the Palace Cinema even though it is a superb set.

I still think that the PS is as good as the PC because it could be split in two unlike other modulars. I've seen the PC on sale in so many places that I think this will be even more heavily hoarded than the PS.

I still think last year's performances burnt a lot of impatient, inexperienced fingers and may affect things again.  As I say, I expect this year to be the litmus test.

I sold the 2 pc's I had bought at £95 in 2016 early this year to reinvest elsewhere. Not prepared to take the risk on this one but I may regret that stance.

Before PS retired I had only 1 box stashed away, but when retirement came I made sure to get a 2nd box just to be sure. 

But now, with PC, I only have 1 box in my stash and am not feeling any reason to buy a 2nd box. Maybe years from now I'll regret that decision. But I'm pretty sure my (limited) Lego funds are better spent on other more deserving sets. :)

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I still think last year's performances burnt a lot of impatient, inexperienced fingers and may affect things again.  As I say, I expect this year to be the litmus test.

I sold the 2 pc's I had bought at £95 in 2016 early this year to reinvest elsewhere. Not prepared to take the risk on this one but I may regret that stance.

We all know that the Golden Era ended with the Fire Brigade and the Grand Emporium, but there were a lot less resellers and QFLLs back then. Also, you could by up to 99x of each set which is what I did with the Fire Brigades! I'd tread very carefully now as things have changed a lot. I'm certainly not taking a risk, 1x PC is enough. Retired modulars may even be back in vogue once supply dries up a bit, who knows? If I can't shift my Pet Shops before Xmas, they're going to my mate's warehouse 160 miles away for a very long time!

Edited by TabbyBoy

Probably balances out with those scared off from hoarding current modulars based on Pet Shop's poor performance and lack of a significant post-EOL bump. If there's no post-EOL panic and price bump from PC, then I think it confirms that the modular selling paradigm has shifted and it'll take longer for these to appreciate as resellers need to wait for new modular AFOLs to come out of their dark ages or adopt this theme.  Still think these are a viable investment, so long as they stay unique or it takes a significantly long time for a modular of a similar subject to come out, but the longer timeframe needed for an ROI will strongly argue for other strategies, which just might cut down on the number of resellers when PR, DO, BB, and AS retire in 1, 2, 3, and 4 years from now.  And they'll all jump right back in if one of them retires out of order.

Guest TabbyBoy
12 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

If this is the mentality of people with the set it's not looking good. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382251623512

Advertising as discontinued but selling for below RRP?

IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, WITH ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS AND BOX!!!

The above statement in the listing tells me that it's been opened which will kill the value. It can still be stated as new if the box seal is broken but the contents complete andl sealed. I don't think he'll sell it. It could be a JL staff discount set or a 25% off one from Smyths last year. He has a fair bit listed, but not much of it is priced to sell.

It won't just be this guy, the QFLLs are all over modulars these days.

Edited by TabbyBoy

49 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

If this is the mentality of people with the set it's not looking good. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382251623512

Advertising as discontinued but selling for below RRP?

Yeah I reckon that's a mistake in the listing. The seller has a PS listed, with the same wording in the title, as pre-owned.

4 hours ago, hockeyweasel said:

Probably balances out with those scared off from hoarding current modulars based on Pet Shop's poor performance and lack of a significant post-EOL bump. If there's no post-EOL panic and price bump from PC, then I think it confirms that the modular selling paradigm has shifted and it'll take longer for these to appreciate as resellers need to wait for new modular AFOLs to come out of their dark ages or adopt this theme.  Still think these are a viable investment, so long as they stay unique or it takes a significantly long time for a modular of a similar subject to come out, but the longer timeframe needed for an ROI will strongly argue for other strategies, which just might cut down on the number of resellers when PR, DO, BB, and AS retire in 1, 2, 3, and 4 years from now.  And they'll all jump right back in if one of them retires out of order.

dark ages.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I wonder if it will reach RRP (after fees) post EOL like the Pet Shop nearly did. I'll never know as I refuse to buy any more modulars unless at -50%.