10232 - Palace Cinema

StarCityBrickCompany

No problem. People are still trying to get crazy prices for the PC on ebay so that is why it is taking a little longer to reach 30 sales, which is the minimum brickpicker uses to determine the price of a set.

So the current market price is based off the last 30 sales? Is that true for all sets, like older ones that haven't had 30 sales? Or is it limited to a time period as well?

No problem. People are still trying to get crazy prices for the PC on ebay so that is why it is taking a little longer to reach 30 sales, which is the minimum brickpicker uses to determine the price of a set.

So the current market price is based off the last 30 sales? Is that true for all sets, like older ones that haven't had 30 sales? Or is it limited to a time period as well?

I believe for all sets it is the previous 30 sales. So for older sets, this can stretch a good amount of time.

• 1 month later...
Check out the screenshot below I found at Lego S@H.  It appears there may be a VIP promotion on the Palace Cinema coming up for VIPs...

Perhaps bonus points for VIPs?  In May, they gave 50 bonus VIP points with the purchase of one of two Chima sets.

I hope the promotion is for PC and meaningful (more than 50 bonus VIP points).  Anyone heard anything about this?

that picture with the palace cinema has been up for a while I think that is just a picture they are using. it was there last month and there was no deal or special. I hope im wrong though because I want to get another one but just waiting for a good deal on it.

I would bite on this for a decent deal.

In retrospect, I would not have paid $162.36. It looks cool on display, and filling the lobby and theater with minifigs was a lot of fun. But building it was boring. Too many 6 stud bricks, flat, empty walls and floorspace, and biiig stickers. And support bricks for interior details are visible on the exterior walls. For example, the last step of the first floor staircase is a 4X1 plate that intersects the wall. So on the outside, you have a weird looking 1x1 dark brown spot on your tan Palace Cinema. Oh, and no panes for the arched windows. And don't overlook the limousine, it's bad. I would say that's my 2 cents, but that rant's worth more like .07

In retrospect, I would not have paid $162.36. It looks cool on display, and filling the lobby and theater with minifigs was a lot of fun. But building it was boring. Too many 6 stud bricks, flat, empty walls and floorspace, and biiig stickers. And support bricks for interior details are visible on the exterior walls. For example, the last step of the first floor staircase is a 4X1 plate that intersects the wall. So on the outside, you have a weird looking 1x1 dark brown spot on your tan Palace Cinema. Oh, and no panes for the arched windows. And don't overlook the limousine, it's bad. I would say that's my 2 cents, but that rant's worth more like .07

That was almost like a mini-review...you deserve a dime for that one...thanks for sharing your ten cents.

Does the Limousine fall apart easily or what? I get extremely annoyed for some reason by cars that fall apart but I put up with it for walls/structures. I guess because I assume the vehicles to be played with more and rolled around and handled by kids. After building the Friends convertible with my daughter, Iwas impressed with how solid and sturdy it was.

• Like 1

Exactly. This is why I have never been into the modulars for myself. I have only built the cafe corner, and ugh, it was sooo boring to build. Give me a spaceship or cool vehicle any day...

So maybe a few of you might have seen a used palace cinema for sale on eBay last week for all of about 20 minutes. Here is the deal. I bought it the day it was available to VIPs, brought it home and built it. It sat on my shelf for a few months and one day I decided I was going to sell it on eBay. So I took some pictures of it (built) took it apart, color sorted it into ziplok bags, and started the bidding at .99 with 20.00 S&H. 20 mins later I had a change of heart and took the listing down. What do y'all think? Should I sell it? If I did what do you think it would fetch auction style? It is 100% company complete, has the mint box, all the manuals, the sticker sheet is unused and extra pieces. What would you do?

You'll take a haircut, and a pretty decent one since you paid MSRP and will now cast your fortune to the market as well as coughing up 10%+ to eBay.  Did the luster really wear off so quickly on this set?  If it were me I'd keep it, but if you no longer want it now that probably won't change with time.  Maybe it would be better to abandon this one, take your losses, and move on.  Any chance you would hold out until the forum trading feature goes live?  I bet a fellow investor/collector on here would take your gently used set and give you a better price in the process.

Its not that I don't want it, its just I feel that I could take the money I sell it for and put into something new that will be EOL soon, Sopwith, VW etc. If I keep it, it will just sit in my closet for years until it sees a decent return. Those of you who have one know its not a small box by any means. If I had a better idea of what a used one is going for I would have just left it on eBay but there aren't many, if any used ones on ebay that I saw. Waiting for the classifieds was another factor in ending the auction.

I'm personally avoiding this set for 18 months or possibly longer barring a poop your pants deal of the century type sale or sudden announcement from a reliable source of imminent retirement.  I feel your pain Stephen since your sort of locked in on an investment which will certainly make you money, just not in the short or even intermediate term.  If you sell right now you probably lose 30% or more after fees and the open box discount.  That really stings.  I'd at least wait and try to sell it to another investor on the boards here.  I'm sure someone will make you a fair offer.

It depends on what the US market for this set is like in regards to the percentage return. As from my post above its approx 85-95% in the UK before fees.

Do you have the space to keep it for probably 5 years before you see a return. Or it is better to take what after fees will be a 25% loss. You could probably fit 2 Sopwith Camel boxes in the same space as the PC box.

If you don't want it on your shelf anymore or in your personal collection then I would sell it.  Money wise it's a no brainer.  You have X amount of dollars worth of a used set in hand at present.  Sell it and take that and buy a set that will rise in value in the short-medium term.  The X dollars tied up in the Palace Cinema isn't going to rise in the next 18-24 months at least.  

For those inclined to say keep it as it will eventually rise, why wouldn't you just do as above and then when the Palace is about to retire buy another used one so you are back where you started except that in that time any investment such as using the capital to buy a Sopwith or something else has meant you now have $X + Y% ? 

How much are you hoping to get for it after fees?  I'm in the market for a cheaper one because I plan on opening my own, but knowing how the pricing of these sets has been in the past.  It would be a hard sell to get much for it in used condition.  How much do you believe it could sell for used?  I imagine anyone buying it would pay maybe 100 - 110 used.  Not to be disheartening, but considering how a person can buy it through lego.com new with free shipping, vip points, and a freebie usually, it's a hard sell.