LEGO Bans - Open Discussion

IMDeus

• 3 years later...
Does Amazon really ban customers? I know they are really hard on sellers but with all the abuse and scams that buyers seem to get away with, I can hardly believe that they would ban them.

I've read plenty of posts on the googler from buyers getting banned for too many returns so I'm sure it happens.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am really really livid with Lego, I have recently bought some expensive sets from other retailers and one set had 4 pieces missing, different parts. I used their online form, received a lovely jolly email from them, confirming my request, which was followed by the email I have entered at the bottom of this post.....I emailed them about this, but just received the reply that they stand by their decisions etc etc.....but these are made by an Auto Bot, I am certain.....apparently the lifetime ban extends to the email I used the address and name....

i adked why the system can’t simply refuse the order, explain the reason, ask to request again with a smaller quantity...( I only requested 4 bricks ) or worse case a 6 month ban for THAT model only.....they simply repeat the same response....

so so based on this, any new models I buy and have a part missing will not get any help from Lego.....they portray themselves as a happy fun loving company, happy to help hope everything is wonderful etc etc.......it just annoys me no end.....when I email them I only get to talk to the minions, so never get to discuss this with anyone who has the ability to actually question Lego procedure and maybe make some changes.....

her ear is the email I was sent.....( I actually tried 2 different rmail addresses when ordering the 4 parts, but received the same reply...

Dear LEGO® Fan,

Thanks for your interest in LEGO® bricks.
As you know, we offer a service where fans can request replacement LEGO bricks. After reviewing your account history and the parts requests you’ve made over time, we’ve decided to no longer offer this service to you. As a result, we’ve cancelled your order.
We don’t take these types of decisions lightly and we take great care to run extensive checks. However, once we’ve decided not to accept any further orders from an account, that decision is final.
You can still buy LEGO bricks and sets elsewhere, but orders placed through LEGO.com, for both LEGO® Shop and replacement parts, online or over the phone will be automatically cancelled from this point on.

Kind regards,
LEGO® Customer Service

6 minutes ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

I am really really livid with Lego, I have recently bought some expensive sets from other retailers and one set had 4 pieces missing, different parts. I used their online form, received a lovely jolly email from them, confirming my request, which was followed by the email I have entered at the bottom of this post.....I emailed them about this, but just received the reply that they stand by their decisions etc etc.....but these are made by an Auto Bot, I am certain.....apparently the lifetime ban extends to the email I used the address and name....

i adked why the system can’t simply refuse the order, explain the reason, ask to request again with a smaller quantity...( I only requested 4 bricks ) or worse case a 6 month ban for THAT model only.....they simply repeat the same response....

so so based on this, any new models I buy and have a part missing will not get any help from Lego.....they portray themselves as a happy fun loving company, happy to help hope everything is wonderful etc etc.......it just annoys me no end.....when I email them I only get to talk to the minions, so never get to discuss this with anyone who has the ability to actually question Lego procedure and maybe make some changes.....

her ear is the email I was sent.....( I actually tried 2 different rmail addresses when ordering the 4 parts, but received the same reply...

What parts did you request and what parts have you requested in the past?

Did you recently move, maybe they've blacklisted the address.

23 minutes ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

Dear LEGO® Fan,

Thanks for your interest in LEGO® bricks.
As you know, we offer a service where fans can request replacement LEGO bricks. After reviewing your account history and the parts requests you’ve made over time, we’ve decided to no longer offer this service to you. As a result, we’ve cancelled your order.
We don’t take these types of decisions lightly and we take great care to run extensive checks. However, once we’ve decided not to accept any further orders from an account, that decision is final.
You can still buy LEGO bricks and sets elsewhere, but orders placed through LEGO.com, for both LEGO® Shop and replacement parts, online or over the phone will be automatically cancelled from this point on.

Kind regards,
LEGO® Customer Service

I have found LEGO to be incredibly accomodating..beyond any other major company I have ever dealth with (I have 3 examples from just the past 3 months.  So I'd like the other side of the story. Have you done nothing to provoke this?  Are you 100% innocent and it's a case of mistaken identity?  If so, I feel for you.  

Honestly, I have only had a few parts missing over 40 years of collecting LEGO sets.  Most of the time we get extra.  If you buy from a questionable source, it is not up to LEGO to replace missing parts.  It sounds like you should question the retailer you bought the sets from.

Yes I wish I had used the phone, just seemed so simple using the automated system.  It could be as simple as 4 bricks too much 3 would have been acceptable, or if I had split it into 4 orders of 1 brick, but then I may have been banned for making multiple orders. Just wish they would give the reason, allow a chance to explain whatever it is that is a problem and make the ban for maybe a year max, but only for THAT product, because I buy lots of sets....

onto the second post, Lego actually say they will replace bricks, no matter where the set was bought from ( it’s in their statement on their website ), in fact they don’t even ask for proof or where it was bought from. If each set had a unique code ( as with mega blocks ) it might be easier.

I just feel ‘ tarnished’ I don’t do anything dodgy, like selling Lego bricks on eBay......Lego should rethink this ban system and replies to  requests should be made by Humans, the people you used to see at supermarket checkout tills.....everything just too automated.....as with amazon bans.....

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

Yes I wish I had used the phone, just seemed so simple using the automated system.  It could be as simple as 4 bricks too much 3 would have been acceptable, or if I had split it into 4 orders of 1 brick, but then I may have been banned for making multiple orders. Just wish they would give the reason, allow a chance to explain whatever it is that is a problem and make the ban for maybe a year max, but only for THAT product, because I buy lots of sets....

onto the second post, Lego actually say they will replace bricks, no matter where the set was bought from ( it’s in their statement on their website ), in fact they don’t even ask for proof or where it was bought from. If each set had a unique code ( as with mega blocks ) it might be easier.

I just feel ‘ tarnished’ I don’t do anything dodgy, like selling Lego bricks on eBay......Lego should rethink this ban system and replies to  requests should be made by Humans, the people you used to see at supermarket checkout tills.....everything just too automated.....as with amazon bans.....

Thanks

There's got to be more to it then a request for 4 bricks...

when I was missing a part even from a really old out of production set (Y-wing version w/ the stand thingy) the rep was bending over backwards trying to find an equivalent brick...coming up w/ like 5 other options and color ways to make a reasonable substitute...even put the order out (for free) and then later canceled when I opted to go another way...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

Thanks

After reviewing your account history and the parts requests you’ve made over time, we’ve decided to no longer offer this service to you.

It really doesn't sound like it's so much about the currently requested 4 pieces so much as past history. ? 
In my 8 years of post-dark age shopping, I've only had one set missing 2 pieces, so I don't have much experience.

I bought several sets from Target/Walmart that had been returned without the minifigures and I was suckered not thoroughly checking the seals. It was really tempting to request replacements, but I feared it wouldn't seem legitimate in their eyes and didn't bother (I should've just returned the sets, but I still saw value being 70% off).
I'm glad I didn't now seeing as they'd ban for alleged abuse.

Well one email said something about history of excessive ordering ???

dont know what they are talking about, this is the first time, I have been in the same house for 27 years, so it’s not that someone else did this.....they will not discuss anything, just like amazon, maybe this is the SAD way the world s now....

• Sad 1

No, but I have read, they ban for very little reason, with no explanation......and refuse t discusss it.....just sounded like how Lego work.....

think will I’ll end this now...on this final note.....Lego have the right to sell to anyone they like and refuse to sell to others, that’s their right.....I just feel a proper explanation, and a chance to discuss it would be fairer, also the ban FOREVER has got to be harsh in anyone’s books.....won’t even let me BUY Lego sets or parts from them........just leaves a bad taste in the mouth........

this topic can  be closed now,.......

Just now, Reddwarf4ever said:

No, but I have read, they ban for very little reason, with no explanation......and refuse t discusss it.....just sounded like how Lego work.....

think will I’ll end this now...on this final note.....Lego have the right to sell to anyone they like and refuse to sell to others, that’s their right.....I just feel a proper explanation, and a chance to discuss it would be fairer, also the ban FOREVER has got to be harsh in anyone’s books.....won’t even let me BUY Lego sets or parts from them........just leaves a bad taste in the mouth........

this topic can  be closed now,.......

are u using the same user name to buy/sell on other platforms as the one you use for S@H ? 

To be honest, they wouldn't simply ban someone for asking for 4 pieces - If that was the case, most people who were missing pieces would be banned.

My impression is that there isn't a threshold that causes a LEGO ban to take place (and the ban police aren't actively looking for you) - You are somehow reported by someone who for whatever reason happens to notice a pattern that would be bannable. It is then reported to the ban dept, and once you are - you are banned.

I have a problem with the inconsistency. They allow lots of sales (which could easily be stopped) to go through, and will ignore long histories of obvious reseller buying activity - and then out of the blue, whack.

Edited by KShine

Think we can speculate for ever what the trigger is, when I email Lego I just get the ‘support staff’ who most likely don’t know don’t understand or just don’t care about the inner workings of the auto system.....I don’t have a history of requesting bits, this was my first time........I will get my friends to order any sets or parts I need in the future.........might even but I.P. Address related.....so maybe a VPN would work, I don’t really care now, I have been treated like a criminal, with no possibility of any defence or even having the charges read out.....it just stinks IMO.......

thanks everyone for your opinions.....

36 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

are u using the same user name to buy/sell on other platforms as the one you use for LEGO Shop at Home ? 

That’s a thought, I use this n gumtree, but have never ever sold Lego on any online site,or to,anyone for that ,after....these automatic systems are a serious pain........

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

thanks everyone for your opinions.....

if you want to thank this forum then a bit more disclosure on what could have triggered it might help.

otherwise it seems you came here to sing your swan song and play the victim of the cold cruel corporation.

I don't know if you noticed...but this forum mostly consists of folks who (typically) push the envelope (to put it mildly) of what's allowed...can't believe anything you've done hasn't already been tried by some members already...but it would be helpful (to the forum) to discuss openly in case Lego is cracking down on certain activities and maybe others may learn from your unfortunate experience. For example the walmart threads are full of those taking their Cancellation/Banning lumps but teh group trying to learn from the different experiences since..like you said...these corporations are not consistent nor forthcoming of reasons.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

For the sake of a few pennies, I will now offer to pay for missing parts from 3rd party sets. I would understand LEGO being a bit upset if the purchase was from eBay which would likely be a reseller. I'm no angel and I've placed massive orders in the past (eg. 99x Fire Brigade and 99x Haunted House) when limits were 99x and they didn't bat an eyelid. Even if I was banned, I wouldn't make a fuss as nearly every set is now non-exclusive and promos/discounts aren't what they used to be. I think there's more to these bans than people are letting on as I recently bought 8x 10242 Mini Coopers when on offer (back-to-back orders using 2 accounts) and got 4 promo sets and then ordered 20x HP&H Brickheadz. It all arrived without a problem. If that doesn't stink of reseller, what does? I'm a prime target for being banned, but why do I survive?

The only thing we have to worry about is LEGO asking eBay to gate their products, especially those sold as new. It could easily happen as I found out the hard way when Claber (a bit like Hozelock) did the same on eBay about 10 years ago where items HAD to be sold at RRP (with free postage!) if sold by a reseller or at any price if sold by an official partner. That means I was unable to compete, but luckily I had contacts at the British Horticultural Society who bought all my remaining stock, luckily at a good profit.

If I was a manufacturer, I'd let everybody have as much as they wanted and simply make more if required. If there's low aftermarket demand, I wouldn't care as long as my stock was sold in the first instance.

Edited by TabbyBoy

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

if you want to thank this forum then a bit more disclosure on what could have triggered it might help.

otherwise it seems you came here to sing your swan song and play the victim of the cold cruel corporation.

I don't know if you noticed...but this forum mostly consists of folks who (typically) push the envelope (to put it mildly) of what's allowed...can't believe anything you've done hasn't already been tried by some members already...but it would be helpful (to the forum) to discuss openly in case Lego is cracking down on certain activities and maybe others may learn from your unfortunate experience. For example the walmart threads are full of those taking their Cancellation/Banning lumps but teh group trying to learn from the different experiences since..like you said...these corporations are not consistent nor forthcoming of reasons.

If you want me to say I did something terrible I will, but I didn’t, I couldn’t order the four bricks, due to auto banning, then sent an email and the parts were sent to me......so really don’t understand.....they don’t even ask where the sets were purchased....

after the first Ban email I tried a different email address, then after the next ban email I used a fake name, but gave up after that, not knowing what the trigger was.....have decided if I ever need any missing / replacement parts / sets I will get my daughter to order them, different address different name different I.P. Address.....maybe I will do a test for just One brick ...

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Reddwarf4ever said:

If you want me to say I did something terrible I will, but I didn’t, I couldn’t order the four bricks, due to auto banning, then sent an email and the parts were sent to me......so really don’t understand.....they don’t even ask where the sets were purchased....

after the first Ban email I tried a different email address, then after the next ban email I used a fake name, but gave up after that, not knowing what the trigger was.....have decided if I ever need any missing / replacement parts / sets I will get my daughter to order them, different address different name different I.P. Address.....maybe I will do a test for just One brick ...

Do you use a different email and IDs for eg. LEGO/eBay/Amazon accounts? It's quite easy to link up credentials. For example, I use different emails, credit cards and addresses. LEGO goes to my work, Amazon goes to my girlfriend's work (or post office) and eBay goes to home. I even know which ones of you sell which items on eBay, the one in Hedge End in particular ;-). Too much information and all that.

I've set up no-IP on my router at home and use a VPN at work so I'm not easily traced by IP scanners.