42009 - Mobile Crane MK II

Leicamarc

Anyone bought the 42009 for investment yet? I ordered one today, but I don't know if I should build it, or keep it for investment after reading the following:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-304-lego-technic-investments-on-the-fast-track-or-in-the-shop-part-2/

Let me know what you guys think. 

I just started buying Lego as investment, but I must say: Its addicting  :twitch:

Hi, welcome to the site!

The set you picked undoubtedly will be a great investment once it goes EOL. It is the Technic set with the most pieces ever and large Technic sets, as you saw in the post, are usually winners in the secondary market.

You can search through the site and read the forums, all the content that is present will help you greatly in choosing sets to invest in.

I love that set, and think it will do very well as an investment.  But I would advise against buying one for that purpose now, unless you can get one at a massive discount.  It will be around for a couple of years on retail shelves so you'd be better off investing your capital in something that is going to show some more immediate returns.

• 9 months later...

I'm considering buying a stash (5, to be exact) of 42009 the crane MKII from Amazon UK with the current sale. 90 pounds plus shipping translates into about $144 a pop. That's about the best straight up price (34% off) I've seen except TRU coupon stacking and a flash sale from Meijer. I know a lot of US folks bought Technic sets from Amazon UK before. I'd appreciae some input on:

1) how's the handling and shipping of such big sets from Amazon UK? I bought Ninjago EDB from them before and it arrived OK, but MKII box is even bigger.

2) Is there any chance of lower price, maybe during Christmas time? Somehow I feel we will not see 40+% off for this set, and even if it happens, the chance I'll beat all the night awls and early birds here on BP is slim to none.

3) Will it be a good flipper during Christmas 2014 if supply is short?

Thanks!

If I was in the US I would hold back as the GBP/USD rate is unfavourable right now. I am pretty sure this price will be repeated down the line in Eurozone Amazons before Christmas and that the USD should have recovered by then.

Unimog and Crawler were heavily discounted after 1 year on the market - no reason to expect differrent for this model, especially when the new Volvo flagship comes out.

The Unimog did 2.5 years and the Crawler will be 2 years old next month and does not appear to be retiring just yet but these are the exceptions. In any case none have lasted 3 years in recent times.

I would hold off on this one unless you really want one to build up for yourself for the same reasons mentioned above.

I beg to differ. From my research, most Technic sets have a life span of 1.5 - 2 years. I don't recall any recent Technic sets being available for three years.

For smaller sets yes, however larger sets like the Unimog, Crawler and the Crane will all see longer life spans around the 2.5 year mark

• 4 weeks later...

Any opinions on this set? I am studying it right now and it might do good after EOL. I started with the investing game to hop on the Unimog Train. The Unimog will be a killer! :notme:

If this Mobile Crane MK II becomes an investment loser I think I will seriously lose faith ....and even cry. Okay this may not be a super sleek sports car but it truly is an impressively awesome contraption. Plus there have been a number of mobile cranes before in the Technic line but nothing quite this amazing let alone realistic. I mean, damn. Besides, check out the results of the last one released back in 2010. ;)

TBs_20130719_1_52.jpg

If this Mobile Crane MK II becomes an investment loser I think I will seriously lose faith ....and even cry. Okay this may not be a super sleek sports car but it truly is an impressively awesome contraption. Plus there have been a number of mobile cranes before in the Technic line but nothing quite this amazing let alone realistic. I mean, damn. Besides, check out the results of the last one released back in 2010. ;)

TBs_20130719_1_52.jpg

Thanks TOK! You convinced me now. The previous Mobile Crane was even without power functions. This one has it. I will keep an eye on any sales for this one. 

Its the biggest Technic set at the moment, its impressive, has loads of parts and no reason to think I shouldn't do well. I've snapped a few at a reasonable price and I think I am done collecting them. I also have one to build whenever i find some spare time at home.

The Unimog does really well so far, considering its customer group which is 100% lego die hard enthusiasts, who are much less than the general group our secondary marked relies on. Yet the price in the UK currently starts from

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how good of a deal it is but they are currently 11% off at Walmart bringing the total down to $195.53.

Besides the few that got them for $25 on Amazon I think the best current deal is TRU with 20% off coupon in Daily Deals thread CC and GC if you have them. 

What do you mean? Is it buyable in the US at 126$?

Then it was in store at TRU we have no sales tax with the sale price of $199 - 20% coupon $160- $10 off $50 coupon x 2 $140-10% with CC = $126 I picked up three at this price.  If I would have used Bold Arrows Pro Tip only put $1 on the CC and use GC it would have been $107.

Now it is $220 - 25% coupon = 165 - 10% CC = 148.5 - 15% GC = 126 This is Thursday only deal and not sure if price is at $220 or $199 at your store

• Like 1

Then it was in store at TRU we have no sales tax with the sale price of $199 - 20% coupon $160- $10 off $50 coupon x 2 $140-10% with CC = $126 I picked up three at this price.  If I would have used Bold Arrows Pro Tip only put $1 on the CC and use GC it would have been $107.

Now it is $220 - 25% coupon = 165 - 10% CC = 148.5 - 15% GC = 126 This is Thursday only deal and not sure if price is at $220 or $199 at your store

I would 10-20 of them at that price.  I have had very little luck stacking discounts/coupons in my local TRU store.