42009 - Mobile Crane MK II

Leicamarc

• 1 month later...

Weird how little focus this set seems to get here among Technic sets. I think this is the (Technic) set to put money on atm. It's not only the biggest set to date but also has a corresponding techical complexity to show for it. And if Technic EOL patte3rns have taught us anything, it will go by the end of this year.

My prediction is, it will have less instant growth than the 9398 but more long term potential.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I saw something pretty slick, Jurgen's Technic Corner created an 'ultimate' version of the MKII. The site provides an XML part list of things needed, and alternate building instructions. It adds a driving motor, a steering motor, and a bunch of other improvements making this a fully functioning RC vehicle. 

http://goo.gl/T350Sa

There is a youtube video showing off the improvements. It's pretty insane (just search for ultimate MKII)

Having built Jurgen's Ultimate 42009, Ultimate 8043, PF Backhoe, and Orange machine all I can say is WOW! For Technic super fans there is nothing like them in complexity of build and functionality. You could literally teach someone to operate an excavator with his models as the control are almost exactly like a full size machine. Of course the parts list is also Wow, cause the PF backhoe makes the SSD and DS sticker price look downright affordable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After receiving two 42009 sets with popped seals frofrom Amazon UK I decided to open one and c heck the.contents.

24 bags found as many online reviewers have also stated.  No loose studded string and only one loose 32L axle.

After looking at brickset, rebrickable and eurobricks reviews I did find one odd thing.

There was only ONE instruction booklet, thick with 42009 on the spine instead of six individual booklets the other reviews talked about.  Any idea how many sets would contain the larger single book instead of six booklets?

About a year ago (page 2 of this thread) people were talking about using their 25% TRU coupons on this set.  I haven't bought one yet, so I think I'd like to give it a try.  I see TRU has this set at $240... marked down to $220 right now.  Has the 25% off coupon worked for anyone this summer on this set?  I thought it was 25% off a "regularly priced item"?  Will the "markdown" negate the coupon?  They only have these in stock in a couple stores in my area... it will be about a 1-hour round trip... hate to waste my time and gas if I can't use the coupon.

• 2 weeks later...

... I see TRU has this set at $240... marked down to $220 right now.  Has the 25% off coupon worked for anyone this summer on this set?  I thought it was 25% off a "regularly priced item"?  Will the "markdown" negate the coupon?  ...

FYI... the 20 / 25% coupon does work on this set. In my store, the $219.99 price isn't really marked as a "discount"... just a plain price tag on the shelf.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, I show Amazon has it on sale at $175, and that's Prime with free 2-day shipping.  Pretty good deal, actually.

Strange. I guess they got more in. It says 16 left in stock. And they're matching Walmart's out of stock price.

Edited by dcdfan

• 1 month later...

IMO the Unimog doesn't have the same appeal as a huge yellow crane. I saw (a real) one this weekend on a motorway and thought it looked impressive. While Technic tends to be slow a burner, generally they give solid mid to long term returns. You would need to be looking at buying in around 33% discount which isn't difficult here in the UK. I've got a few of these and would expect this to be selling for 1.5 - 2 x RRP a couple of years after retirement.

Tell me which looks more impressive...

All_Terrain_crane_QAY260.jpg

UNIMOG_U400_Stadtwerke_Gossau_002_klein.

How will it perform post EOL, though? 8110´s case shows the dangers of over hoarding limited appeal sets. Construction equipment until now has done well but the tide may be turning.

This fear in itself has stopped many from hoarding. The smart money would go into the MKII crane. Just check past performance of the other yellow cranes that retired and you'll know what to do with your money.

• 3 weeks later...