7199 - The Temple of Doom

zeee

Hi

We have a messed up 7199 set which I could spend some time sorting out in order to sell.

My question how do I price it. I looked the the info for it and it might fetch in $103 as it's second hand [in Australia]. I looked on ebay and can't see a recently sold set. So how do I know what to price it at? 

I should mention I have the box and instruction both in vg condition.

Thanks!

zeee

Hey there! There are several different answers you could get for this kind of question, and many sellers on here are far more experienced in this area than me, but I`ll try and offer up 1 for consideration. 

- First off, you need to determine what is missing. Do you have all the parts? Do you have instructions? Are they in good condition? How about the box? Each of those will almost always add value to a set. There are several sites you can use for set content listing, several members and myself use Bricklink. Here is the catalog entry for 7199

- Secondly, you need to determine the cost involved in obtaining these parts. Have to ask yourself, will you be able to make more money then you will put in? Again, I`d use Bricklink for parts/instructions. You don`t necessarily need to include a box in your (I assume ebay) listing, but it is good to do so if you have it. 

That`s the big stuff for sure. Lastly you have to determine your method of sale. Will you list as BIN or as a Auction? I won`t get into the pros and cons of each here, there are several threads on this forum where info pertaining to that can be found, but it`s got to be considered. In this case, I see no reason why not to list as BIN, if you have sufficient ebay feedback. Buyers tend to be leery of people they don`t trust, your listing must look legit, and you as a seller must have a decent (and in many cases, near perfect/perfect) score. This is because you are more likely to get the value you want for a set like this, it`s older and someone will be looking for it specifically as opposed to trying to score a good deal on a current set. A buyer will more than likely seek it out. 

As far as general value goes for this set, I see no reason why you couldn`t fetch $150 for it, provided you have everything (box/instructions). That`s based on current listings for a NISB set ($200-$300 at the moment). It may take a bit of time to sell, but if you were to list as BIN, surely there would be a buyer interested at some point. It`s definitely possible you could get even more (around the $200 mark), but like I said that will depend on your feedback/listing and a few other things. 

Hopefully that helps out a bit. Best of luck, let us know if there is anything else. Hopefully someone else will chime in here  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks so much. I will need to figure out what is missing---that is the first step I agree.

You have answered many of my questions, thank you.

In Australia we also have an online buying/selling forum called gumtree, that is also somewhere I can list and it's totally free at both ends.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

zeee

I have been selling used sets on eBay lately and if you have a complete set with instructions you should do a BIN and price it a little under what a new sealed set has sold for recently. It might take a month or more to sell but someone will buy it especially if you don't have a lot of competition. You only need that one person that really wants that set. Be patient.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• 2 years later...

So I finally got around to building this set with my son.  I purchased it used in 2013 and extras were included (another set of 7199 cars and minifigs plus some Temple Escape elements). The original owner paid $60ish for it (Target clearance price sticker). Tape seals indicate this set was made during the 1st week of 2010.

It was a nice build.  The track is a tad fragile and should really stand higher under the Temple so the mine card could roll from start to end.   My kids love dropping minifigs into the cars and pushing them on the track  

image.jpeg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, jaisonline said:
So I finally got around to building this set with my son.  I purchased it used in 2013 and extras were included (another set of 7199 cars and minifigs plus some Temple Escape elements). The original owner paid $60ish for it (Target clearance price sticker). Tape seals indicate this set was made during the 1st week of 2010.

It was a nice build.  The track is a tad fragile and should really stand higher under the Temple so the mine card could roll from start to end.   My kids love dropping minifigs into the cars and pushing them on the track

It was a cool build. The one I picked up was missing a handful of pieces, that I've since acquired. I need to build it again to verify everything one more time.

• Like 1