STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

I'm almost caught up on getting all of the Force Awakens sets for the collection, the only one I haven't grabbed is the grey X-wing, but i'll grab it once the prices drop next year.  But, this got me thinking about what is left for the Force Awakens, and I can only think of a few things, and all of them are larger scale sets, that would borderline UCS scale, IMO.

First would be Han Solos Eravana freighter.  Like some other sets, i'm not sure this one can be tackled correctly since it's so massive. Definitely would have to come with a Rathtar, Bala Tik, and a few Guavian Enforcers, along with Han, Chewie, Finn, BB8, and Rey.  This is a set that i'd like to see, but not sure how they would pull it off.

2009rbb.png

The Finalizer has to get made at some point too.  They might be waiting for Episode 8 on this one, as I can't recall it being destroyed in the movie, and is probably still lurking out in the outer rim somewhere plotting it's next big attack on the resistance.  If they wait till next years Ep8, then that is fine... But, it's definitely a set that needs done.  It doesn't have to be UCS, although i'm sure it will be around 150.00.

pj0010_a0ab2179.jpeg?region=199%2C0%2C11

Maz's Castle has to be flushed out too.  Sure, battle of Takodana was an initial take on it, but this is something I want to see done right.  Not in a weeny scale, but flushed out like the Ghostbuster Firehouse, the new creator Big Ben set, or Ewok Village.  Approx 350.00 and loaded with 15 minis of various aliens.  Contains a bar area, downstairs, and a good solid architecture design.

450e4d34905ef5308c643ba344682951.jpg

Next would be a Starkiller Base.  The rumor mill has been cranking on the upcoming death star set.  I've heard it's definitely based on the original trilogy, and that it's definitely based on Starkiller Base.  Hothbricks has a history of being right a year ahead of time.  The more I think about it, the more I want it to be Starkiller base. Could include an interrogation chamber, the walkway that Han Solo meets Kylo, a thermal oscillator (it's got to have one of those :P ), and maybe a holographic throne room where you see commander snoke...

StarkillerPhysics_FEAT-969x545.jpg

If there is no Snoke in SKB, then next up would be a couple hundred piece Snoke Throne room.  Could be modeled a little after the Final Duel set.

MV5BYjFkM2MzNmEtMjM0ZS00ZjU2LThlZTMtNmMw

To complete the Force Awakens line, they need one last set and that is the final duel at the end between Kylo, Rey and Finn. 

new-star-wars-8-set-leaks-hint-at-a-batt

Of course, i'm not sure how many smaller sets can be done.  I think most of the vehicles are already made, and there really isn't much smaller stuff to be made, unless they start rehashing what has already been done.  And with 5 more films in the pipeline, I don't see that happening unless these ships are in other films.  The only other things I can think of would be possibly anything dealing with the Resistance Base, or the Jedi Temple at the end of the movie, but i'm sure that will be a big part of Ep8.

Apart from doing sets based on junked vehicles, there's not a lot that was even in the movie. There was the quad jumper that got blown up or a TIE Fighter without the red stripe.

I was thinking that they hadn't really done a rebel command center for Yavin. They could make a dual purpose Resistance/Rebel command/control center with those blue screens.

11 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Apart from doing sets based on junked vehicles, there's not a lot that was even in the movie. There was the quad jumper that got blown up or a TIE Fighter without the red stripe.

I was thinking that they hadn't really done a rebel command center for Yavin. They could make a dual purpose Resistance/Rebel command/control center with those blue screens.

I know.. it's pretty thin pickings at this stage in the game, and after 3 waves, we already have 13 sets, with 2 of those sets being the exact same replica with just different coloration. Honestly, at best I can only come up with potentially 4 new sets, and can think of 4 other smaller sets to stretch it out.  After that it gets razor thin. 

For all the faults of the prequels, the films were overloaded with new ideas and vehicle designs.  I guess, i'm ok with them not overloading every shot with something completely different and new just for the sake of selling merchandise, but on the same token hopefully Rogue One and Episode 8 have a little more innovation to them.

11 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

For all the faults of the prequels, the films were overloaded with new ideas and vehicle designs.  I guess, i'm ok with them not overloading every shot with something completely different and new just for the sake of selling merchandise, but on the same token hopefully Rogue One and Episode 8 have a little more innovation to them.

Not to mention the same designs with multiple color variations in order to sell more toys.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 1:42 PM, GhostDad said:

About as scary as an ewok with a glowstick.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:04 PM, gregpj said:

I dare you to google that.

Challenge accepted. ....Huh, nothing to note really besides pictures of Ewoks or glowsticks or even Lightsaber glowsticks .....and then this little guy.
ewok_toddler1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2016 at 1:36 PM, fossilrock said:

I hate to say this but there isn't anything innovative about Disney nowadays.  They are only interested in acquiring and milking properties.  TFA was an entertaining film as was Rogue One but there's nothing new or different about them.  Lucas for his screenwriting faults had a marvelous way of creating engaging worlds for his characters to exist in.

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1

I hate to say this but there isn't anything innovative about Disney nowadays.  They are only interested in acquiring and milking properties.  TFA was an entertaining film as was Rogue One but there's nothing new or different about them.  Lucas for his screenwriting faults had a marvelous way of creating engaging worlds for his characters to exist in.

They literally killed every single character in a major motion picture but go ahead and keep on believing that Disney is not innovative.

24 minutes ago, jonnyhanukkah said:

They literally killed every single character in a major motion picture but go ahead and keep on believing that Disney is not innovative. emoji849.png

What's innovative about killing off characters?  If you're talking about Han Solo then it's because Harrison Ford wanted out.  He's wanted to kill off the character for over 30 years.  

• 1 year later...