Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - general discussion

Turtle Power!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which intro/theme tune do you like best?

• Original from 1987-1996
    • Second from 2003-2009
    • Current from Nickelodeon
  2. 2. Do you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think the sets will be good investments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

So...it's been heavily rumoured that TLG will be producing a TMNT theme in the not-so-distant future! The latest article is here (It's French, so you might need to translate it): http://www.hothbricks.com/2012/09/lego-tmnt-encore-une-confirmation-pour-2013/ What do you think about the idea of a theme like that? I remember that the TMNT action figures a couple years back had HUGE collecting potential. I still have a big bucket of 'em in my basement! Do you think a LEGO theme will sell equally well? Are ya gonna invest in them? Or...do you think the whole rumour is false? Share your thoughts here!

It would be interesting to see what Lego will come up with if the rumor is true. TMNT has ALOT of source material to work with. There are the three original films, another one done in 3D some years ago, the original animated series that ran for 10 seasons, AND the comic book series! I kinda remember the sets that MegaBloks did, eh... those were okay. The ONLY thing that can ruin this is IF they base the sets on the Michael Bay version of the turtles that I've heard about coming in 2013-2014. Turn the turtles into edgy, lovable aliens?! HUH?! ...Anyway, I hope this Lego rumor turns out to be true cause I've loved the turtles since I was born! COWABUNGA!!!

I do like Micheal Bay's films (the ones I've seen atleast), and I'll admit I am curious as to what his take on the turtles will be. When it comes to filming (especially this early in the process), there's going to be alot of rumors and speculation (and other bits of BS) made by fans as well as haters. I just need to remember that until there is something concrete. Still look forward to TMNT-themed Lego sets, regardless!

• 1 month later...

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't teenage mutant ninja turtles cool like 15 or so years ago? Seems strange to me that LEGO is gonna grab a license for this theme? I mean Vanilla Ice was on the soundtrack for the second movie....thats how old it is! Does TLG think that because nijago is so popular with the kids that turtles that are ninjas will be popular? Was there a second coming of TMNT that I wasnt aware of? Sorry for all the questions but I am just really confused on this one.

The first movie came out 22 years ago....holy cow older than I thought!! I forgot about the rumor that Micheal Bay is re doing the movie...maybe that will make this theme a winner, who knows!

The kids that watched the TMNT shows back then are now adults so they can afford the sets for their kids or themselves. My bet is the they will be very popular, especially if they produce new tv shows.

The first movie came out 22 years ago....holy cow older than I thought!! I forgot about the rumor that Micheal Bay is re doing the movie...maybe that will make this theme a winner, who knows!

I heard that Michael Bay wants to make the turtles to be aliens. That right there makes it a terrible idea for a reboot. Stick with the original story. People remember it better than to change everything up.

Huh...I am just hearing about all this for the first time right now while reading this. I have seen a lot of miscellaneous TMNT stuff in the toy department at Target lately, so apparently there is some kind of resurgence. I think the TMNT LEGOs would actually do pretty well. The mini figures are really cool looking! A lot of us AFOLs get a certain burst of nostalgia from TMNT, so I think this will work out. On a separate note...I really hope Michael Bay doesn't make them aliens as mentioned above. Save that for the Transformers. The turtles' original back story is far more interesting than just having them be aliens.

I suppose it is outdated. There hasn't been much interest in the franchise for many many years. But couldn't the same thing have been said about Transformers when they brought that back?

And ***.I.joe...

I wish they would get the Grendizer franchise, the sets would be amazing! But that would make ME very outdated! lol

Yes, ***.I. Joe too. I think any time there is a reboot of an old franchise that enjoyed a good level of success at some point, there is going to be intrigue from the people who used to be fans of those franchises. They say "Hey, I remember liking things about that back in the day, I don't see any reason why I couldn't like it again."

......What......the......f***......

Is that supposed to be the Turtle Van?! I've already looked at it twenty times, and I still can't see it! And who the hell is that...wolf-thing?! The machine body with Krang is....umm....okay, I guess (the color is all wrong). Ugh, the face on Michelangelo is ridiculous, besides having a blade on his weapon! So far, the only thing that looks decent is the "Foot Clan Ninja".

I cannot believe that I'm actually going to say this....

I'm disappointed.

God, those designs are ugly as sin.

I'd have preferred it if they stuck to the original Eastman and Laird's designs.

Same here. Or better yet, doesn't anybody know how to F***ING DRAW ANYMORE!

Just about everything now is more 3D animated crap! Or some other 'cartoon' animated with 'Flash' or 'Shockwave' or some other program that practically does ALL the bloody work! Oh yeah, then there's shows like "Adventure Time" that looks like it was drawn by a five-year old!

....whatever.

I'm sorry for going off like that. I've always been a turtle-fan (of the original series, comics, & films), and this ticks me off something fierce (especially what passes by for 'good quality' these days).

In LEGO's defence, these sets have to be based on the new craptastic cartoon, so they're not really at fault. They can't release a set without Nickelodeon's okay to go ahead.

As for the original topic, just what exactly is not outdated really?

Transformers, MAGIC the Gathering, Final Fantasy, Dungeons & Dragons, Street Fighter, GI Joe, Mega Man, Hot Wheels, Legend of Zelda, MechWarrior (BattleTech), Sonic the Hedgehog, Macross, & so on. All of these have been around for about twenty or more years, and most are still just as popular as ever. Maybe even a little more so for some.

It is understandable to 'update' certain things to make it fresh, but if you don't capture the 'feel' or 'soul' of what made something great to begin with, all you end up with is a big steaming pile of s***.

I've already said in another thread how much I DO NOT look forward to Micheal Bay's interpretation of the turtles. Freakin' aliens, really? That's the road you wanna take? Yeah, good luck with that. Anybody remember the fiasco Joel Schumacher did with the "Batman & Robin" movie in 1997? Well, here we go again....

I was a big TMNT fan when I was younger and I'll admit some of the minifigures look cool to me, however I agree with those of you that think this theme is outdated. I don't know how they are going to be able to make a comeback with this theme. Unlike Star Wars, Batman, Spiderman, etc, which will take decades to go out of style, I feel TMNT has come and gone, I could be wrong though, I guess time will tell.