Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - general discussion

Turtle Power!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which intro/theme tune do you like best?

• Original from 1987-1996
    • Second from 2003-2009
    • Current from Nickelodeon
  2. 2. Do you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think the sets will be good investments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Are these going to be carried anywhere other than TRU and LEGO Shop at Home? Or is TRU just getting some "exclusive" time? If the LEGO sets do half as well as the other TMNT toys, these sets will be HUGE!!!!! Go look at the TMNT section at all of your local retailers. It's all gone and they couldn't keep it in stock this Christmas. How do I know, I sold thousands in TMNT toys this Christmas. That is what I was buying and selling when I got back into LEGO. LEGO + TMNT = Cha Ching

Yes. Eventually these, as well as many other 2013 sets, will find their way into the likes of Walmart, Target, and many other stores. It is LEGO so, of course, they get to sell it on their own site first. And Toys R Us has an agreement with just about every toy manufacturer (which includes LEGO) to recieve and sell their products atleast a month before everyone else (Walmart, Target, etc.). So yeah, TRU is simply getting some 'exclusive' time.

LEGO + TMNT = Cha Ching

BIG CHA-CHING!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a personal favorite of mine, only because i grew up in the 80's/90's when they were popular. I only wish that the Lego sets were based off of the original TMNT instead of the Nickelodeon cartoon. My local Lego store sold out of the Lair the first day if that helps. The Lair has been impossible to find other then at walmart.com. I'm not sure my local Lego Store has got any more in since the first day.

How will TMNT do once it gets discontinued? I need your guys option before I buy all of them.

You never know. Themed sets can do very well as in STAR WARS/Harry Potter or not as in Prince of Persia/POTC. TMNT are geared towards kids, so if the Turtles make a huge comeback(say...the new movie coming out), I can see very strong sales for these sets. But if the new movie tanks and kids of today are bored with the Turtles, all bets are off. Overall, I like the theme's chances of being successful.

I only wish that the Lego sets were based off of the original TMNT instead of the Nickelodeon cartoon.

This is why I was hoping Minimates would get the License to the turtles. Imagine all the variants we would have received from the entire history of the turtles!

It probably won't have overwhelming success, but I think it will be worth investing in a few sets here and there. The way I see it, if there was enough interest to bring it back again in the first place, it should be relevant enough to make us all some money when the sets go EOL. They are selling like crazy at retail right now, so that is a good sign.

I'm skeptical at best - I'm willing to bide my time for several months to see how it pans out. I certainly think we'll see some good discounting at some point in their shelf life, so no rush - also, why clog up space with new sets when they'll likely still be around in (at minimum?) 6-8 months, likely quite a bit longer?

It probably won't have overwhelming success, but I think it will be worth investing in a few sets here and there. The way I see it, if there was enough interest to bring it back again in the first place, it should be relevant enough to make us all some money when the sets go EOL. They are selling like crazy at retail right now, so that is a good sign.

I was SO excited to hear that they were doing Turtles sets, however, I'm less than impressed with the sets that they did. I don't love any of them. The mini figures are AWESOME but, of course, you'd have to buy multiple sets to get all four turtles. Overall I'm disappointed :-(

I was SO excited to hear that they were doing Turtles sets, however, I'm less than impressed with the sets that they did. I don't love any of them. The mini figures are AWESOME but, of course, you'd have to buy multiple sets to get all four turtles. Overall I'm disappointed :-(

I felt exactly the same way as you.

For me, classic TMNT all the way! TURTLE POWER!

The mini figures are AWESOME but, of course, you'd have to buy multiple sets to get all four turtles. Overall I'm disappointed :-(

I agree that the mini figures are a success. It is because of this that these sets will have interest after EOL. Great mini figs always drive the success of sets. The vehicles and stuff are kind of lame with the TMNT sets. It seems to me that the focus here is truly on the mini figs.

It sucks for us to have to buy all those sets to get the 4 turtles, but you gotta hand it to LEGO, that is a clever marketing strategy. They know we will buy them all. :)

I agree that the mini figures are a success. It is because of this that these sets will have interest after EOL. Great mini figs always drive the success of sets. The vehicles and stuff are kind of lame with the TMNT sets. It seems to me that the focus here is truly on the mini figs.

It sucks for us to have to buy all those sets to get the 4 turtles, but you gotta hand it to LEGO, that is a clever marketing strategy. They know we will buy them all. :)

Yep. Even when the set design stinks, atleast the characters are there to drive the 'want-ability' for them. The only one I think is half decent is "Shredder's Dragon Bike". The supposed 'Turtle Van' in "The Shellraiser Street Chase" is retarded. (So is the "Dogpound" character in that...) Well, besides characters there are some nice parts here & there.

Anyway, here's a comparison question.

Which intro/theme tune do you think is the best?

A.) The original intro from 1987-1996

B.) The intro for the 2003-2009 series

C.) The new Nickelodeon 2012 intro

You already know where I stand on this. I just wonder what my fellow brickvestors think.

...this is the LEGO sets everyone should be excited about as far as investments go, not LOC. Stores can't keep ANYTHING TMNT in stock. TMNT has a HUGE following outside of LEGO already....it appeals to kids, both young and pre-teen, appeals to adults...a lot of us grew up on them... In my mind it will bring a lot of "non lego buyers" into the LEGO market b/c they love TMNT toys, regardless of brand, make or model. It's an established brand. However, if LOC is a total flop maybe in 20 years the sets will be going for the same prices M.A.S.K. toys are. If LOC dominates and TMNT aren't around very long, I think their value, tmnt LEGO sets, will sky rocket. In my mind, after 20 plus years, tmnt has shown there will ALWAYS be demand for their toys. What are your thoughts? Discuss? LOC or TMNT?

They came out at the TRU by me before Christmas. I was able to sell several sets for a quick 50% mark up from what I paid. (Yes, over TRU prices....they were the only ones who had them.) Granted I only made about 20% - 25% on each sale after fees etc. But they were bought, paid for, sold, and out the door in a matter of a few days. TMNT toys were sold out every where so I think this was a quick substitute for those who couldn't find the real shellraiser or lair for little Tommy.

I'm a big fan of the TMNT line. I don't dare compare it to Legends of Chima, but I think it is both a short and long term success. I have already bought and sold a lot of TMNT sets, and made a decent amount of money. When they have been out for a while and start to get discounted, I will definitely be picking them up to sit on for a while. TMNT has survived the test of time. You can't say that for most things.