LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

14 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Addams is my all time fav. I doubt it makes it tho.

The fishing store looks like a plot to drive down GG prices by bring back sand green parts. Well played. 

Unfortunately, I don't see any 1x2 bricks with grove. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the outcome of this review as one of my favourite ideas made it to the production stage.

The creator of the BB-8 set posted his feelings this morning.  Let's just say that some of the salt air from the fishing store made it his way and left him a little bit...salty.

http://thefarquar.com/index.php/2016/10/06/speculationfishingstore/

In this particular Lego Ideas review we have 9 projects that ranged from prehistoric to a galaxy far far away.  Today Lego announced the winner on their Ideas Blog.  The lucky winner is: The Old Fishing Store!

The poll results we hosted a while back with 435 votes predicted the winner to be the Fossil Museum with Johnny 5 in second place…so we as a whole were wrong.

Lego posted their announcement on their blog.  As usual, they do not give specifics about why a contender was knocked out, or what brought them to their conclusion, but I will dare to speculate why the Fishing store beat out the other options.  First, it may be a process of elimination; so why might the other contenders have been knocked out:

• Fossil Museum – Possibly because they already did an ideas set with a dinosaur bones component.
  • Gingerbread House – Its big and they have a gingerbread house set already.
  • BB-8 – If the magnets (swallowing hazard) didn’t kill this, the likelihood that Lego was producing their own BB-8 set did.  This set by the way, was my submission, may it rest in “piece”.
  • Jedi Council – Large and goes against Lego’s money making tactic of doleing out the good figs over multiple sets.
  • Jurassic Park Visitor Center – Its big, so many of the people that voted for it, are unlikely to buy it.
  • Train Station – Same as the JP center, except this one can at least link to the current modular city sets.
  • Particle Accelerator – I’m guessing that even though it had a cool video, not a lot of people will storm the stores to buy this.
  • Johnny 5 – This guy looks great, they must have decided that this movie wasn’t popular enough to bring on a lot of sales.  It couldn’t have been a licensing thing since the owners of it were probably aching to get some more revenue.

Its highly likely that not all of the contenders were knocked out at first leaving just the fishing store, so what made it rise up against the others?

For starters:

• Its pretty
  • They say it has fun play features – I don’t see them, but they say it does.
  • No external IP – That’s the big one I think.  Lego won’t have to make any deals with other companies or share the profits.  Ideas is also trying to push the notion of more original content and less IP driven material.
  • Also, Denmark is on the Baltic so they are likely more sea-centric.

Will I be buying it?  Probably not.  Its big, so it will be too pricey for me.  I don’t expect a lot of kids wanting this either.  Its going to appeal to the older crowd and people with shelf space.  Have a nautical themed bathroom? – Maybe this is the set for you.

(Emphasis mine)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm sorry that his entry didn't get picked.  I *really* liked the BB-8, and hoped it would be one of the choices.  I'd still love to get the instructions for it, and put it together myself.  I understand he's probably a bit hurt/upset, but wish he would have taken a higher road.

Great set but it's ridiculous to think lego was not planning it's own version of bb8. I can't ever see any ideas star wars set making the cut. Why would they? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marcandre said:

Great set but it's ridiculous to think lego was not planning it's own version of bb8. I can't ever see any ideas star wars set making the cut. Why would they? 

People never learn... designing a LEGO set from an existing IP of any kind can hardly be called an "IDEA" but to think they'd do it for a theme like Star Wars is ridiculous. Even if LEGO isn't planning on making a BB8, they'd never handcuff themselves with one of the most (if not the most) popular themes that is never going away.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gregpj said:

People never learn... designing a LEGO set from an existing IP of any kind can hardly be called an "IDEA" but to think they'd do it for a theme like Star Wars is ridiculous. Even if LEGO isn't planning on making a BB8, they'd never handcuff themselves with one of the most (if not the most) popular themes that is never going away.

Maybe they should. With the current rules about them not accepting a set from a license that they have already made into an ideas set, they can just get some of these themes out of the way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Maybe they should. With the current rules about them not accepting a set from a license that they have already made into an ideas set, they can just get some of these themes out of the way.

Right and for a while they were contemplating rejecting any established IP .. But now they say this:

We welcome projects based on current licenses like Star Wars, Superheroes, Disney, etc., However, these active licenses are likely to have similar concepts already in the pipeline. Please keep in mind that a project based on an existing LEGO license has a smaller chance of passing the LEGO Review than other projects.

Folks getting upset over them not producing some fantabulous Star Wars set are taking it far too personal. If they really want their IDEAS set to stand out, do something unexpected and different. As much as I've enjoyed that fella's Star Wars mini builds and I think LEGO should make more, his IDEAS would never pass since LEGO has already made some.

(for the record, when our city is done construction I plan on trying my hand at recreating some of those mini mocs... they're awesome sauce)

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse
5 hours ago, pstebbing said:

VOLTRON!!!!......please pick Voltron!

If this doesn't happen. I'love be trying to moc it up.  A huge project that may have to be split up. But after seeing it, I have to have one

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Don't give up hope!

I'm shocked they picked the fishing store, cause I thought it was too MOC-ish and had too many pieces. Guess not! Congrats to the guy 

Do you guys have rules on promoting LEGO Ideas projects here? 

Edited by CM4Sci

Don't give up hope!
I'm shocked they picked the fishing store, cause I thought it was too MOC-ish and had too many pieces. Guess not! Congrats to the guy 
Do you guys have rules on promoting LEGO Ideas projects here? 

Considering I was shamelessly plugging the Voltron set, I'd say no. Just keep it here on this sub.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm sorry that his entry didn't get picked.  I *really* liked the BB-8, and hoped it would be one of the choices.  I'd still love to get the instructions for it, and put it together myself.  I understand he's probably a bit hurt/upset, but wish he would have taken a higher road.

Wait for his reaction when Lepin accept it. Insert Michael Jackson popcorn meme here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DarthBall said:

I just think The Merchant's House has such great display quality that I believe Voltron might be the one to beat. emoji12.png

The merchants house is a very nice model and I did support that IDEAS set first.....but then I saw......VOLTRON! emoji12.png