LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

4 minutes ago, donbee said:

Why are all the white women yellow? I thought yellow was the non-race specific color. Why not make them the pale peachy stormtrooper-head color? Or were they all Asian?

Yellow Lives Matter. But she probably only had those heads on hand so they were the best fit.

• Like 1

Womens nasa set maybe "lame" when compared to the voltron set, but thats because this board is 95% men aged 30 years+
This is a great opportunity for Lego to encourage more younger females into lego and STEM / engineering fields etc.
Not every set has to be about investment or cater to the small AFOL market.

Well, you can't say "this board is 95% men aged 30 years+" and then go on to say that "not every set has to be about investment".

That's why we are here!

Look, I'll probably get a set for my daughter and she can have it with the RI I have put away for her. But I think the overall downer attitude you're seeing is that this is another investment dud. I won't be stocking up on these.

Voltron on the other hand, has a potential to be huge. I'm not disappointed in today's result, as it relates to Voltron. I hope they can get it done. Voltron has cross generational appeal. There's us 30+ers that remember it fondly. But with the new cartoon there are a ton of Generation Y that are completely into it. It's got huge appeal to the 18-30 crowd. It's hitting the right chords with that crowd because it's ethnically, culturally and sexually diverse.

It just occurred to me that the licensing discussion might not be taking a long time because of the US and Japanese rights, but that there may be discussion of an additional license or two. The current Voltron design (and characters) are different than the 80s version. So maybe there is discussion about an additional set to support the new show as well?

8 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I hate the model so that must mean I hate women.

mi·sog·y·ny

dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Now, did I say you were a misogynist? Did I imply it? No. If it offends you, then I apologize that  your sensibilities were offended.  It doesn't change the fact that there were detractors for this proposed set out of virtue of the fact that it was exclusively female.  Nor does it alter the fact that LEGO overwhelmingly is more popular with males than it is with females THOUGH that is steadily changing.

Now, the merits of the set itself can be debated for sure. We won't have a full picture of what it could look like for awhile. I will admit that it is missing some excitement. No expressions of terror or grimacing.

25 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

It just occurred to me that the licensing discussion might not be taking a long time because of the US and Japanese rights, but that there may be discussion of an additional license or two. The current Voltron design (and characters) are different than the 80s version. So maybe there is discussion about an additional set to support the new show as well?

I like your optimistic attitude. You turned no Ideas set into a complete Voltron theme.  :jester:

• Like 3

I'm holding out for an American Girl "boy" doll of the year.

The boy is named Logan, and that just happens to be my son's name. Combined with the volume of American Girl dolls in my house (keeping in mind my daughter is 9 but we've had dolls in the house for 17 years)....

I like your optimistic attitude. You turned no Ideas set into a complete Voltron theme.  :jester:

Lol. Well, if Dimensions is dead, then it's not going to be a Year 3 Dimensions set.

33 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

80s Voltron for IDEAS, then new Voltron-1 & Voltron-2 set to be released a few months later or whenever the new (live action all female casts starring Melissa McCarthy) Voltron movie??

• Like 2

I think this set sucks. I am a man. Therefore I must be a misognyst. Give me a break!
I bought research institute because I liked it, this is just a rehash which will cost more (based on piece count) because of NASA branding. I recently looked up the word misognys sister - mysandry - as I find it interesting how female panel shows routinely put down men and their ways in a manner that the feminist lobbyists would not tolerate were roles reversed. This is a Lego set and whether or not you think it is crap does not make you some form of hater.

26 minutes ago, Poppy2612 said:

I think this set sucks. I am a man. Therefore I must be a misognyst. Give me a break!
I bought research institute because I liked it, this is just a rehash which will cost more (based on piece count) because of NASA branding. I recently looked up the word misognys sister - mysandry - as I find it interesting how female panel shows routinely put down men and their ways in a manner that the feminist lobbyists would not tolerate were roles reversed. This is a Lego set and whether or not you think it is crap does not make you some form of hater.

NASA is a US government agency, and as a result, there won't be any licensing fees, just coordination with NASA.

to the misogyny and hate: no clue if you were being sarcastic. everyone here are pretty chill and its a great community. please dont bring the policticallt correct/Im being oppressed routine here. If a lego set sucks it isnt from misogyny and hate. if we held a BC contest to come up with women of nasa set there would be 100 entries from here that are more creative and overall better than the ideas set.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Well, you can't say "this board is 95% men aged 30 years+" and then go on to say that "not every set has to be about investment".

That's why we are here!

Look, I'll probably get a set for my daughter and she can have it with the RI I have put away for her. But I think the overall downer attitude you're seeing is that this is another investment dud. I won't be stocking up on these.

Voltron on the other hand, has a potential to be huge. I'm not disappointed in today's result, as it relates to Voltron. I hope they can get it done. Voltron has cross generational appeal. There's us 30+ers that remember it fondly. But with the new cartoon there are a ton of Generation Y that are completely into it. It's got huge appeal to the 18-30 crowd. It's hitting the right chords with that crowd because it's ethnically, culturally and sexually diverse.

Too early to call this set or any set that is released nowadays an invesetment dud. A set doesn't need to look good / have a strong license to do well in the secondary market nowadays. If it has a short production run / doesnt get a full release in certain countries / people overlook it / it can perform very well i.e. bionicle last wave / mixels s9 in Europe / elves 41178 etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

to the misogyny and hate: no clue if you were being sarcastic. everyone here are pretty chill and its a great community. please dont bring the policticallt correct/Im being oppressed routine here. If a lego set sucks it isnt from misogyny and hate. if we held a BC contest to come up with women of nasa set there would be 100 entries from here that are more creative and overall better than the ideas set.

"Man is, by nature, a political animal." - Aristotle, Politics

My focus was on the ubiquity of the figures themselves as models of STEM in terms of LEGO production. Granted, the remark was meant as a sarcastic rejoinder due to the automatic hate of the set before the final product has even been shown.  That eventually lead into triggering an onslaught of reactions, some of which were predictable. However, @justapilgrim, you are correct that this isn't the place for politics and gender issues since we're strictly dealing with bricks. Nor do I consider myself oppressed but I have to consider more nuanced views of such things.

I do think this set has merit, just by virtue of the fact that it will gain a lot of publicity coupled with the recent success of the film Hidden Figures.  There is no such thing as bad publicity in this situation. The investment potential remains for this set in the future.

On a positive note, any time they give us a glimpse of those crazy rows of shelving containing every Lego set made I get excited. 

From an investment standpoint, I like the choice. Sure, Voltron or something would be cool, but this will be perfect for parting out/selling the vignettes separate, etc. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, agp548 said:

Another stupid choice, but should've been expected with all the crazy feminists out there.  if Lego didn't chose this set you can bet that there would be ridiculous claims of sexism. And people would've blamed it on trump. 

39 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

Yes, everyone is totally chill ?

23 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

On a positive note, any time they give us a glimpse of those crazy rows of shelving containing every Lego set made I get excited. 

From an investment standpoint, I like the choice. Sure, Voltron or something would be cool, but this will be perfect for parting out/selling the vignettes separate, etc. 

Go on the inside tour! :smile: