Thread of Packaging Excellence

Guest brickcrazyhouse

ordered 2 baseplates on Dec 26th from BL. Today got this.  Wouldn't be pissed but when they charge $7 for shipping and I can clearly see it cost $3.50, wrapped up in what was going to be their garbage.

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

ordered 2 baseplates on Dec 26th from BL. Today got this.  Wouldn't be pissed but when they charge $7 for shipping and I can clearly see it cost $3.50, wrapped up in what was going to be their garbage.

Dufus move showing postage cost for sure.

Double check the store terms, but consider requesting a partial refund. Obviously they didn't need to charge additional for packing materials.

I bought a low price promo box set from a BL seller last month that had terms needing me to request "no crush packaging" on checkout. I did this and still received the set in a bubble mailer. Their "no crush" addition was a scrap of cardboard top and bottom inside. Maybe this was puncture protection, but definitely no crush proof. Set wasn't a total pancake, but sides were well creased.

Like on eBay there are plenty of BL sellers and crappy service should not be rewarded IMO.

20 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Man, we're waiting here, where's the update? ;) 

Oh boy it was a good one.

x4 Ghost order: Only 1 ghost (opened and crushed) and 3 other random microfighters (also completely pancaked)

Result: Called customer service, they sent me a return label and I'm sending it back. They said that the next time its in stock I can re-order (at the sale price) and they will take an extra 10% off.

x3 X-wings: All correct, one with major damage and two with very slight cosmetic damage. Didn't complain about this one, not worth my time. Put the damaged one on clearance for $6 and will sell the others as "slight cosmetic damage" for my regular price.

Guest TabbyBoy

UK Sellers...

I've just bought some 500mm x 400mm x 110mm boxes from https://www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/post-boxes product code 36431-B. They fit Airport sets perfectly with 2 layers of large bubble-wrap. Since the box is "Garment Type" rather than "0201 Type", the sides are more resistant to crushing. This box will also be perfect for Spaceports, Volcano Explorations, Sopwith Camels, etc. They cost me £1.41 each including VAT and I'll get the next batch for a lot less through trade contacts ;-)

I also use a sheet of cardboard roll to cover the top/bottom of the set.

I'm just trying to get quotes/samples for double-walled modular and UCS boxes.

Guys... nothing saves more time/money/reputation than having the correct sized box.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 13.43.21.png

Guest TabbyBoy
On 10/01/2017 at 5:43 AM, MinifigW said:

Oh boy. Y'all know what's next.

There should be 3 SW resistance x wing microfighters and 4 ghost microfighters in these "packages" from Kmart
Opening in a minute. Will update on conditions :P

We're all waiting in eager anticipation to see if they can beat TRU at their own game. Anyway, have your bananas ripened yet?

27 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

We're all waiting in eager anticipation to see if they can beat TRU at their own game. Anyway, have your bananas ripened yet?

No. No one can ever beat TRU at the horrible shipping / customer service department. As for the bananas, they need a bit longer to be good for banana bread ?

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

UK Sellers...

I've just bought some 500mm x 400mm x 110mm boxes from https://www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/post-boxes product code 36431-B. They fit Airport sets perfectly with 2 layers of large bubble-wrap. Since the box is "Garment Type" rather than "0201 Type", the sides are more resistant to crushing. This box will also be perfect for Spaceports, Volcano Explorations, Sopwith Camels, etc. They cost me £1.41 each including VAT and I'll get the next batch for a lot less through trade contacts ;-)

I also use a sheet of cardboard roll to cover the top/bottom of the set.

I'm just trying to get quotes/samples for double-walled modular and UCS boxes.

Guys... nothing saves more time/money/reputation than having the correct sized box.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 13.43.21.png

How many did you order to get that price?

I need to order some "big" size boxes, but problem I have is that because they are sent flattened they are absolutely massive unpacked, I work 9-5 so can't get them delivered home, even if I pick them up from parcel depot they won't fit in my car, and if I order them to work I'll get in trouble from our receptionist who gave me an earful last year for ordering so much stuff lol 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
31 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

I need to order some "big" size boxes, but problem I have is that because they are sent flattened they are absolutely massive unpacked, I work 9-5 so can't get them delivered home, even if I pick them up from parcel depot they won't fit in my car, and if I order them to work I'll get in trouble from our receptionist who gave me an earful last year for ordering so much stuff lol 

I ordered 3 packs of 10 and a few extra bits like tissue-paper (for fragile items), cardboard roll & A6 pouches to get to £85 for free P&P. Flat-packed the package was about 135cm long, 85cm and 15cm. For bigger sets, I use the G30 box from Lil Packaging.

Whar car do you have? I have a Skoda Superb estate and it's massive!

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 17.38.35.png

For modular buildings, I'm awaiting more quotes for 25 of:

Double-Walled cardboard boxes of the following INTERNAL measurements:

Length: 595mm
Width: 495mm
Height: 95mm

ASC Direct have quoted me £2.88 online per box including VAT delivered.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
34 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

Take her out for lunch to shut her up, is she cute? ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy

Here's more boxes that I've just ordered and were delivered within 2 days!

From ACS Direct...

25x Double-Wall 0201 type 590x490x125mm (internal), 600x500x150mm (external)

These are excellent quality and only cost £3 each (inc. VAT) which is good for a Double-Wall box. I will be using these to ship some of my Haunted Houses, Fire Brigades & Pet Shops. It's just the right size for 2-3 layers of bubble-wrap around the set with a snug fit. The reason I ordered this size is because Collect+ DO NOT accept anything longer than 600mm or wider than 500mm - I've had boxes rejected by being just 5mm over!

If any of you want to buy a 10228 Haunted House or 10218 Pet Shop from me cheaper than eBay/Amazon, drop me a PM and you'll get one of these nice new boxes. Of course, I'll have to charge for box and actual postage on top ;-)

Please don't use LEGO factory boxes only for shipping large/valuable sets, they are only Single-Wall and not strong enough. If you don't have their extendable shipping box to go around it, insert some extra cardboard around all 6 sides of the box and between the sets. It'll be a snug fit but, it's worked for me.

I was expecting the worst after picking up this package a couple of hours ago... Looks like it was ripped open and / or someone sat on it.

IMG_1907.JPGIMG_1908.JPG

The sets are actually in okay condition considering the way the package was messed up. I mean they aren't mint, but definitely better than expected.

IMG_1909.JPGIMG_1910.JPG

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

Wondering what does everybody use here for packing In their boxes? Until now I re-used air pillows/shipping paper/grocery bags that I had leftover but that stash has just about run dry.

Most efficient thing seems like a air pillow machine, but they go for about $500 for the cheapest one on Amazon. Any advice is appreciated.

I use this sometimes when I run out of "free" void filler.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Brand-Packing-Paper-White-480-Sheets-24-x-24/50314461

Wondering what does everybody use here for packing In their boxes? Until now I re-used air pillows/shipping paper/grocery bags that I had leftover but that stash has just about run dry.

Most efficient thing seems like a air pillow machine, but they go for about $500 for the cheapest one on Amazon. Any advice is appreciated.

Mostly craft paper like what's listed in the main post. I reuse a bunch too from Amazon.