Thread of Packaging Excellence

Wondering what does everybody use here for packing In their boxes? Until now I re-used air pillows/shipping paper/grocery bags that I had leftover but that stash has just about run dry.

Most efficient thing seems like a air pillow machine, but they go for about $500 for the cheapest one on Amazon. Any advice is appreciated.

I never us grocery bags. The multi-purpose Kraft paper from Amazon is great. Works for almost anything and lasts forever. I use air bags if I need some additional cushion for a larger box but that is a rare occurrence.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BrickLegacy said:

I never us grocery bags. The multi-purpose Kraft paper from Amazon is great. Works for almost anything and lasts forever. I use air bags if I need some additional cushion for a larger box but that is a rare occurrence.

I'll use some grocery bags for small stuff on EBay, never use them on Amazon.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

Wondering what does everybody use here for packing In their boxes? Until now I re-used air pillows/shipping paper/grocery bags that I had leftover but that stash has just about run dry.

Most efficient thing seems like a air pillow machine, but they go for about $500 for the cheapest one on Amazon. Any advice is appreciated.

Old newspapers, egg cartons, anything that can be recycled in this way.

Guest TabbyBoy

My air-bag machine is fantastic, saves package weight/postage, takes up very little space and is the best £200 I've spent in a long time. Not to mention that professional-looking packaging often brings repeat business and contacts for not-on-eBay cash sales. Also every box I now use is new and I have custom-made double-walled boxes for modulars, Sea-Cowpat, etc. (590x490x125mm internal) - nice snug fit with 2 layers of bubble-wrap and, more importantly, just under the 600mm length and 5KG weight limits for cheaper posting. For small/cheap sets, I use scrunched up free newpapers like the London Standard and Metro as that's all they are fit for! I no longer use those unflavoured "Wotsits" due to some complaints about the mess they make.

Edited by TabbyBoy

1 hour ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

Do you live in a neighborhood?  Have a neighborhood Facebook page?

I'm lucky in that there are about 800 track homes in my neighborhood, but we are fairly remote from other subdivisions (e.g., it's about 20 minutes to the next big subdivision our size, and there really aren't any single homes near us either).  We have a neighborhood FB page with about 1000 people on there.  People either post that they have moving or shipping supplies, or people ask for them.  Whenever I'm running low, I just ask.  At this point, I have some people that just drop them off at my house unannounced.  Hopefully you have something similar?

1 hour ago, LegoWalker4 said:

Local CL post: COMPLETE LEGO WORLD CITY COAST WATCH HQ MODEL 7047 IN ORIGINAL BOX. BOX MAY HAVE WEAR AND TEAR.

Seriously?  LOL! :) Was this originally shipped from KMart or TRU... At least the seller was honest.

7047 Box CL Box Condition.jpg

That box looks flatter than the baseplate (used to be) inside. Hope that survived. :(

A little tip for the UK'ers out there. I've been doing this for years now, and it's still really handy and there are usually a couple lying around on each visit. Behind the checkouts at Tesco, they usually leave cardboard containers from fruit and veg etc. However, also they leave these small parcel sized cardboard boxes that they get their shopping bags delivered in. Nice and sturdy and a good size. Always pick a couple up and are perfect for sending minifigure sets and other small parcel sized things. Always had positive feedback from using these and usually just pad out with unwanted scrunched up newspaper. Cheap and useful. P.S - They also do a longer shallower box that they use for something or other and I don't bother with them. It's the more square shaped ones you want ;)

Lately, I've received sets from ebay sellers -- hopefully from nobody on here -- that have come kmart style.  But at least they would put some cardboard on the sides within the bag.

Not yesterday though.  Got a gray bag with a 41063 dented and creased to hell inside -- shipped Smart Post even though the item said Priority Mail.  Sent a complaint message and got this reply:

"Thank you for letting me know I know next time not to send it through smart post I apologize the box was brand new as you can see on the pictures I am really sorry"

No send it back for a full refund, let me take X off, etc...  I sent them a response telling them I'll be submitting a refund request.  I'm tempted to leave negative feedback on this seller as well -- for lack of common sense.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my $35 order from LEGO Shop at Home today... ginormous box (30x20x10 approx) holding 5 baubles, and small sets and tons of air pockets, plus my coveted Back in Black Batman poster. Unfortunately, when lifting the box to could clearly see Batman's head stuck in the box's bottom tape...... argh. Of course the poster didn't come out clean.

They really need to rethink their packaging - it happens too often that something (luckily typically just the packing slip) gets stuck in the tape at the bottom of the box...

LEGO CS took 5+ min but couldn't find any replacement copy for me. Offered me a disco/tears poly as replacement, which I accepted. 

Then called the local LEGO store and they said they still had the box full, so they're holding one for me. Phew.

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, I am Niko said:

Arctic Rollers got rolled.  Boxes look worse than they show in the pics.  Thanks for shipping them in a bag, Target!

wAEMsnu.jpg

CpoLxZc.jpg

Back they go or 50% off. More and more retailers are using cheap bags. But why, if they have to process more returns? Also, more of them now remove the sets from factory boxes before shipping, where's the logic in this? I never use the factory boxes for shipping as they are too thin, but very handy for storage.

Back they go or 50% off. More and more retailers are using cheap bags. But why, if they have to process more returns? Also, more of them now remove the sets from factory boxes before shipping, where's the logic in this? I never use the factory boxes for shipping as they are too thin, but very handy for storage.

I find the LEGO factory boxes to be quite durable compared to the garbage TRU uses.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I find the LEGO factory boxes to be quite durable compared to the garbage TRU uses.

If you have boxes that are perfectly sized and you can tightly pack them, the result is usually good.  It's the sets thrown in with one bubble in a huge box that get tossed inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exciter1 said:

If you have boxes that are perfectly sized and you can tightly pack them, the result is usually good.  It's the sets thrown in with one bubble in a huge box that get tossed inside.

Totally.. Considering how flimsy LEGO boxes feel, they have a pretty good crush resistance (just look at how high some people stack them) which when you have an outer box with a perfect fit, it only adds to the overall crush resistance. They don't have good puncture resistance but truthfully not many cardboard boxes do... even double walled boxes can be punctured.

Guest TabbyBoy
41 minutes ago, stackables said:

I am convinced that Kmart doesn't have shipping boxes.  Bought 2 of the smaller Batman movie sets.  Shipped via ups and of course in a bag. 

UPS and a bag? How long did it take you to pick up all the pieces in front of your house?

In the UK, witnesses have seen UPS actually throw items (from TRU) from their van to my doorstep and they've also left stuff (from Boots) in the rain when I was actually home and saw the van drive off!

1 hour ago, stackables said:

I am convinced that Kmart doesn't have shipping boxes.  Bought 2 of the smaller Batman movie sets.  Shipped via ups and of course in a bag. 

I can confirm, they ran out of boxes couple months ago.

49 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

UPS and a bag? How long did it take you to pick up all the pieces in front of your house?

In the UK, witnesses have seen UPS actually throw items (from TRU) from their van to my doorstep and they've also left stuff (from Boots) in the rain when I was actually home and saw the van drive off!

That's messed up, I don't remember what carrier it was but I purchased a laptop once on line, they threw it over 5' fence lol. Surprisingly computer wasn't damaged. 

I'll start by saying that I am more than delighted that Kmart actually used boxes for this order. At least half of my 2017 purchases from them have been in bags with varying degrees of damage.  They really went the extra mile on this one, though: why use 1 box that fits your sets when you can use two 10x10 boxes taped together to form a super box?

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

• Like 1