Thread of Packaging Excellence

7 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

I would literally be in tears if I saw that! Was this supposed to be new or was it already a trashed box that the seller was selling?

It was sold as "New in distressed box".  I assume the seller felt they could take some liberty in shipping it since it was already "distressed".  I paid $220 for it and am going to build it, so I'm not stressing over it.  Just surprised they put a half-@ss effort in conceiling the contents.  I assume they ran out of kraft paper or they wanted the UPS guy to know that he was carrying something valuable, so he should treat it with extra care.

• Like 6

this is why i always ask sellers upfront to 1) ship used sets w/ box and 2) new sets w/ damaged or opened boxes in a shipping box.

at $220 for a Helicarrier, i wouldn't even care about the retail box if shipping was free. 

side note: shipping these huge sets are such PITA so i just usually sell them w/o the useless retail box.  plus i then don't deal with retail box condition sensitive people.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KMart gets a lot of hate when it comes to packaging, especially small sets. Just to show the beauty of having sets delivered to Sears, here is one of my latest orders:

IMG_20170405_180957.thumb.jpg.2671e3e6c5de5366abdda41019492f09.jpg

Pristine .... and delivered by UPS to the store, within 48hrs of ordering (ready for pickup within 72hrs).

• Like 2

After a few initial hiccups Kmart has been amazing with me the past few months. I get all shipments within 36-48 hours, as if they think they're Amazon with 2 day shipping or something. Sets come boxed, sometimes double boxed, packed with paper and/or packing peanuts. (knock on wood)

I'm not sure why this is all of the sudden. Maybe because I have complained and sent back so many damaged items? Or maybe they finally fired some sub-par workers and got real individuals that value their job?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

After a few initial hiccups Kmart has been amazing with me the past few months. I get all shipments within 36-48 hours, as if they think they're Amazon with 2 day shipping or something. Sets come boxed, sometimes double boxed, packed with paper and/or packing peanuts. (knock on wood)

I'm not sure why this is all of the sudden. Maybe because I have complained and sent back so many damaged items? Or maybe they finally fired some sub-par workers and got real individuals that value their job?

Unlike some others, I've still only had 1 small set come in a bag.  Everything else has been packed wonderfully, as though there is still 1 employee left with the company who gives a damn.  Even the couple that have clearly come from stores have been packaged well.  I know I'm tempting fate with this...

7 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

You just wait, keep ordering.

• Like 4

I ordered the Elves Water Dragon and Fire Dragon a few weeks ago.  The smaller $20 Water Dragon set came boxed and the $40 Fire Dragon set came bagged.  If I get sets shipped from one of their main warehouses in Illinois they come boxed and packed well.  If they come from a Kmart store it's been a crap shoot for me.

Not lego, but...Ordered a movie for my son from Kmart and accidentally forgot to leave 1 cent for points back.

Cancelled order within 5 minutes and they still sent me the stupid thing. Here is to hoping I don't have to sit in CS chat for 30 minutes like last time after they just never refunded.

Edited by SweepyD

1 hour ago, SweepyD said:

Not lego, but...Ordered a movie for my son from Kmart and accidentally forgot to leave 1 cent for points back.

Cancelled order within 5 minutes and they still sent me the stupid thing. Here is to hoping I don't have to sit in CS chat for 30 minutes like last time after they just never refunded.

I've had this now happen twice. You order, realize you made a mistake, cancel within seconds and they still ship, even if the system says cancelled. At least with LEGO, when it arrives at Sears I can just have them cancel it there and it goes through pretty ok, but last time it was 2 sleeping bags which couldn't be returned in Sears, so I had to do an online return, ship the stuff back myself (prepaid label though) and then follow-up once it arrived.

Oh, and any coupons you used are toast, unless you can convince CS to reissue or manually override them on the replacement order.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's one for UK members...

Really shameful of Joh Lewis. Two separate orders: Spider-Man bridge battle and City Passenger Train.

each was simply put in a grey bag with no protection. Of course both sets were in bad shape, so much that the seals were loose. Examples of damage below.

Really disappointed, you expect a decent service from John Lewis.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by andyposterfan

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

Here's one for UK members...

Really shameful of Joh Lewis. Two separate orders: Spider-Man bridge battle and City Passenger Train.

each was simply put in a grey bag with no protection. Of course both sets were in bad shape, so much that the seals were loose. Examples of damage below.

Really disappointed, you expect a decent service from John Lewis.

John Lewis are not doing too well this year due to a drop in profits and higher IT costs. I've also noticed that they've been cutting corners and had to return an Amazon Tablet that was damaged during delivery (also in a bin liner). Cutting corners loses customers and retailers fail to see this happening. In the Reading branch, I'm seeing more and more LEGO sets on the shelf in shabby and torn boxes especially the GBHQ, not to mention the arse-about-face incorrect prices on some of the shelves. Get your act together JL or we'll go elsewhere!

very true. I was in the John Lewis Oxford street store today. Supposedly their flagship store. Most of the larger sets had condition issues, some were in very bad shape with tape applied to close opened boxes.

the black spider security straps were on every medium sized box or bigger and all were being crushed by these.

such a shame.

ill be on to customer services to complain about my sets in the morning...

Edited by andyposterfan

1 hour ago, andyposterfan said:

very true. I was in the John Lewis Oxford street store today. Supposedly their flagship store. Most of the larger sets had condition issues, some were in very bad shape with tape applied to close opened boxes.

the black spider security straps were on every medium sized box or bigger and all were being crushed by these.

such a shame.

ill be on to customer services to complain about my sets in the morning...

For John Lewis it's best to buy in a carton quantities, then they ship it in the original Lego box and they always arrive in pristine condition that way. I always avoid buying in small quantities from JL as they tend to ship badly.