Thread of Packaging Excellence

3 hours ago, andyposterfan said:

Here's one for UK members...

Really shameful of Joh Lewis. Two separate orders: Spider-Man bridge battle and City Passenger Train.

each was simply put in a grey bag with no protection. Of course both sets were in bad shape, so much that the seals were loose. Examples of damage below.

Really disappointed, you expect a decent service from John Lewis.

image.jpeg

My last order from JL came in bin liner.  Was surprised it arrived in decent condition but still had a wee bit of bin liner wear.  Forgot to complain to CS about it.

Asda the last man standing for brilliant packaging every time.

Curious to get people's reaction. After a lot of complaining and various slow and or ineffective responses from customer services. They have offered £15 extra discount off each set.

these were birthday gifts for my son. So felt bad giving him boxes so damaged.

do you think -£15 off each set is fair?

30 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

Curious to get people's reaction. After a lot of complaining and various slow and or ineffective responses from customer services. They have offered £15 extra discount off each set.

these were birthday gifts for my son. So felt bad giving him boxes so damaged.

do you think -£15 off each set is fair?

Yes, especially as they are gifts for your son and not some box snob on ebay. £30 is more than fair.

• 1 month later...

I thought I had purchased four Apollo Saturn's from Target, but this is what showed up on my doorstep today. I'm not normally too picky on box condition. I can handle a dent here, a crease there, maybe even a small puncture, but these were too trashed, even for my standards. I'm thinking the delivery driver played kick ball with the package, after he stood on it to reach something on the top shelf of his truck. 

I just brought them back to the store. The CS girl wasn't shocked, as she stated that they have been receiving a lot of online returns like this lately. The return was hassle free, which was nice, and the store is only a couple miles from my house so it wasn't too big of a hassle. I offered to take them all for $30 each, but she said they will probably be sent to salvage. Figured it was worth a shot.

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

The above is why I'll never buy from TRU again even at >50% off. 

BTW... A friend just had his 5x 21309 Saturn V rockets delivered from John Lewis and they all arrived squashed in bin liners, no "factory boxes" like they used to have. I'm now glad that my order was cancelled as I'll now wait for LEGO. Even though LEGO will now likely drop the quantity from 5, I only want 1 anyway.

Guest TabbyBoy

John Lewis have now joined the ranks of Argos and TRU with regards to box condition ;-(

My 21309 from John Lewis just arrived damaged (I insisted on compensation) and I was offered a £15 voucher that I accepted as I'm building it, but they need to be made aware. I've just opened it anyway and will start the build later since the weather is too bad to go out. Yes, Summer is back! ;-(

BTW... My friend is taking all 5 of his back this afternoon and asking for a refund, not replacement.

So, Asda/George is still in top spot for box condition in my book, shame that they have few good deals.

Why do an ever increasing amount of retail staff have SHlT for brains these days?

Edited by TabbyBoy

• 2 months later...

I just received my Killer Croc set from Amazon.  It came in no box, shipping labels all over it and marker numbers on it.  Holy crap!!

A little follow up...

I actually contacted customer service which I seldom do now.  I drew the line at shipping a large lego set without any packaging.  Even Kmart at least puts the sets in bags :)   Of course the customer support was fantastic and they are refunding me the total cost of the item.

2dInH92.jpg

Edited by stackables
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

You reminded me,

I ordered a little 10$ cars set for my son a few weeks ago from Kmart and when the shipment came they left it out (came with some other items, in theory)

So I contact CS and they end up giving me credit back and I just reorder the set and get it a few days later. WELL....2 weeks after that I suddenly have a $20 cars set show up, never ordered or even looked at this set.

Guess someone finally pulled my order (incorrectly) and shipped it. Son is happy either way :)

• 3 weeks later...

Despite asking the seller to ensure the set was carefully wrapped it gets shipped with no outer box and it arrived in a state. No returns allowed so there goes the premium that I paid for what was supposed to be a box in excellent condition. It is the UCS X-Wing. Not much I can do given no returns accepted and if I give negative feedback, likely to get the same back and impact my selling. Some real lazy people out there

92eebb92601a2db9d6e2801b01a373b0.jpg

Despite asking the seller to ensure the set was carefully wrapped it gets shipped with no outer box and it arrived in a state. No returns allowed so there goes the premium that I paid for what was supposed to be a box in excellent condition. It is the UCS X-Wing. Not much I can do given no returns accepted and if I give negative feedback, likely to get the same back and impact my selling. Some real lazy people out there

If this is ebay, you should be able to leave neg feedback and potentially even file a SNAD (box is clearly not in excellent condition) to get money back. Should be no fear for retribution.
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

"No returns" on ebay is a sham.  If this showed up in this state and it was obviously not what you paid for you will get to send it back after raising a stink.  

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Shocking! Assuming it's eBay, don't hesitate and leave a negative feedback immediately and open a SNAD case. Any honest seller will offer you a big discount or full refund, don't accept anything less. Oh... make sure they pay for return postage too! eBay is full of crooks and I'm glad I closed my account.

I bubble-wrap all large sets and post in a sturdy brand new box and use double-walled boxes for the larger sets. Those of you that bought off me know what I mean.

Edited by TabbyBoy

• 2 weeks later...

I finally called and complained to Lego about their distribution center and shipping practices in Romeoville, Illinois.  I'm tired of getting shipments overstuffed with air pillows and then the boxes are forced shut, smashing the contents inside.

Apparently their shipping department works nights at the Amazon FBA receiving dept. in Illinois as well.

• Like 1