Thread of Packaging Excellence

• 1 month later...

I just received some sets i ordered from amazon, This was the first time Ive ordered from amazon. I ordered 7 sets and they was all shipped on top of each other in a large flat box with little padding. The smaller set have been crushed. Is this something I can expect ordering from amazon. Also can I return them as I said I'm unfamiliar with there practicalities?

dude... THATS NOT FUNNY!  Amazon just told me that they are shipping my 2 tower bridges, 2 falling waters, and 2 santa workshop together in one big box!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 1

dude... THATS NOT FUNNY! Amazon just told me that they are shipping my 2 tower bridges, 2 falling waters, and 2 santa workshop together in one big box!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!

You might be ok, my five tier bridges to one oversized box without packaging turned out not so bad. Here's to hoping

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

dude... THATS NOT FUNNY!  Amazon just told me that they are shipping my 2 tower bridges, 2 falling waters, and 2 santa workshop together in one big box!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!

Hoping the best for you. Was the seller actually Amazon or Lego, or was it another user name? There are a bunch of resellers on Amazon that will just ship anything packed any which way. My niece and her husband both work for Amazon, and there are strict packaging guidelines they are supposed to use with minimum packing material requirements to avoid damage. The only problems I have had was when the orders were shipped directly by the sellers rather than "fulfilled by Amazon."

Good luck on the sets. I'm at pucker factor 7 waiting for a couple Mos Eisley sets to show up from WalMart.

Hoping the best for you. Was the seller actually Amazon or Lego, or was it another user name? There are a bunch of resellers on Amazon that will just ship anything packed any which way. My niece and her husband both work for Amazon, and there are strict packaging guidelines they are supposed to use with minimum packing material requirements to avoid damage. The only problems I have had was when the orders were shipped directly by the sellers rather than "fulfilled by Amazon."

Good luck on the sets. I'm at pucker factor 7 waiting for a couple Mos Eisley sets to show up from WalMart.

lol, good luck to you too... ihave had nothing but shipping labels attached directly to boxes from walmart.  The seller was actually Amazon directly... no AWD or anything... so Im hoping its going to be a flawless shipment, but now... im not so sure... lol.

• 2 months later...

Just got an order from target delivered via ups. They used a foot long by half foot wide by half foot tall box to ship me a kit that's only half a foot long, 2 inches high and 4 inches wide. That and the idiot ups driver didn't know how to read a shipping label so it got delivered to my neighbor across the street from me.

• 1 month later...

Same here, my snow speeders are all destroyed. Sent in bubble mailer. Will be taking them to B&M for exchange or refund if they don't have any more. The only way these stores will learn is if everyone who gets damaged boxes because of lazy greedy packaging returns them and Target has to eat a bunch of costs that make it more expensive than just using boxes.

Same here, my snow speeders are all destroyed. Sent in bubble mailer. Will be taking them to B&M for exchange or refund if they don't have any more. The only way these stores will learn is if everyone who gets damaged boxes because of lazy greedy packaging returns them and Target has to eat a bunch of costs that make it more expensive than just using boxes.

I guess 2015 is the year of the bubble mailer. Amz started shipping my sets that way too.  I thought the condition was limited to Kmart, but it looks like it spread to all the other retailers. One of my target orders is waiting for me.  I'm scared to get my mail now.

Just got my UCS TIE Fighter.  It looked like this when I opened the box... I thought, "Wow Lego! Nice job packing this one!  Sweet!"  Then I lifted off the air bags, lifted out the TIE Fighter, and found Admiral Yularen there in the bottom of the box, where he had permanently "embossed" his imprint in the face of the Tie Fighter box.  Tired of being called "Admiral Whats-his-face", he seems determined to leave his mark in this world. :)

Actually not that big-a-deal... but it would have been so easy to put the promo poly in the box last, instead of first. :/

20150507_104318.jpg

Just got my UCS TIE Fighter.  It looked like this when I opened the box... I thought, "Wow Lego! Nice job packing this one!  Sweet!"  Then I lifted off the air bags, lifted out the TIE Fighter, and found Admiral Yularen there in the bottom of the box, where he had permanently "embossed" his imprint in the face of the Tie Fighter box.  Tired of being called "Admiral Whats-his-face", he seems determined to leave his mark in this world. :)

Actually not that big-a-deal... but it would have been so easy to put the promo poly in the box last, instead of first. :/

20150507_104318.jpg

​He must have been doing his best Han Solo carbonite "impression".

• Like 1

Well, Target sent me everything in boxes but every one of the boxes that came UPS was horribly crushed - about 10 boxes across two days.  I've already brought half of it back to a store for exchange which cleared out their shelves of ISD and AT-AT.  I'll be doing the same at another store tomorrow.

I rarely have a problem with packages from UPS, so this seems like it might have been a problem straight out of the fulfillment center.

Well, Target sent me everything in boxes but every one of the boxes that came UPS was horribly crushed - about 10 boxes across two days.  I've already brought half of it back to a store for exchange which cleared out their shelves of ISD and AT-AT.  I'll be doing the same at another store tomorrow.

I rarely have a problem with packages from UPS, so this seems like it might have been a problem straight out of the fulfillment center.

Are you sure you didn't write this about my situation seems identical.  I had to look on stock tracker and find two targets that had the most stock and I went to both and mostly wiped them out with exchanges and all my returns are going straight to the salvage scrap heap. Sad.

Got the same giant box today.I'm worried about how my AT-AT is going to come on Tuesday. 

​my AT-AT come with a box like this with the brown paper filler. There is a crease on the edge across the box which is not too bad. I will leave it as is and don't bother to exchange in store. if anything come with plastic bag, it will go straight to target

This irritates me to no end when they throw the promo in the box first.​

I have had some pretty poor packing jobs from LEGO shop at home.  They pack multiple sets at odd angles so they get nice and creased by the time they arrive.  Some have even over-filled the boxes with air pillows to the point where the LEGO boxes are partially caved in on one side from the pressure during shipping.  I also received a bubble mailer this week from my UCS X-wing backorder with only the Star Wars poster in it.  Yularen was supposed to be there.  At least CS is shipping me a replacement.  

That's very odd about the Target shipping.  I placed a few different orders throughout the day on Monday and they all arrived well packed in boxes with plenty of air pillows for protection.  I love free shipping supplies!

Edited by zskid00

That's very odd about the Target shipping.  I placed a few different orders throughout the day on Monday and they all arrived well packed in boxes with plenty of air pillows for protection.  I love free shipping supplies!

My guess is that the ISD and AT-AT do not fit in the standard boxes sitting on the shelf in the fillers area.  Thus they can throw it in a bag, or have to go through some process to get a bigger box.

It is also possible the available box size pushes it into another shipping price range and it depends on how hard their manager pushes cost cutting.

Edited by jay4e

My guess is that the ISD and AT-AT do not fit in the standard boxes sitting on the shelf in the fillers area.  Thus they can throw it in a bag, or have to go through some process to get a bigger box.

It is also possible the available box size pushes it into another shipping price range and it depends on how hard their manager pushes cost cutting.

​Target has a 24 X 17 X 6 box that fits and ISD or two AT-ATs just fine. I received 6 of those boxes yesterday.