New superhero sets. Worth it?

CommanderT317

Are the new 2013 superhero sets a good investment? I'm most likely to buy the 20 dollar ones and the daily bugle. But will these raise value over time?

The themed Superhero sets will most likely be solid investments. They are cool sets IMO with a ton of awesome minfigures. What's not to like? Popular and themed sets usually translate well in the secondary LEGO markets.

I think that the new Super Hero sets will be one of the safest bets of the year. People are going to be all over the updated versions of the Batman and Bane figures. Look at the Mr. Freeze compared to the 2008 version. It makes the old one look like a pile of crap! And look at Scarecrow! Awesome! The introduction of Venom and Dr. Doom is also going to be very well received. That Venom figure is one of the coolest I have ever seen. There is obviously another facet to this that I haven't even touched on; the non-mini fig portion of it. So far, I am a bit underwhelmed by the vehicles (Batboat, Tumbler, The Bat.) I know there are plenty of people who are into vehicles, but I don't think they will make or break a set. Correction...they can MAKE a set if it's a really awesome vehicle. But a slightly lackluster vehicle never did much harm. The new Arkham Asylum is one of the best buildings ever made for a themed set. I believe we are talking about an instant classic in the making right there. LEGO just keeps outdoing themselves in every aspect. The modeling continues to get more complex and authentic, and the detail and quality of the mini figures continues to improve on an annual basis. In short, 2013 Super Heroes sets are about as safe as they come. There will always be DC and Marvel movies, so there will always be interest in the characters.

Other than Arkham Asylum, I think the biggest winners from the Superhero sets are 76000 Arctic Batman vs Mr. Freeze - Aquaman on Ice and 6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape. 76000 is only $19.99 and has three great minifigures and 6857 at $39.99 is not widely available and has five great minifigures. I think both of these sets will be big winners later on just for the minifigures alone.

That Tumbler is the disappointment of the season. When it was announced, I was hoping for a full size camo one. The old set is a huge winner, but they elected to keep the prices down. Other than the Arkham Asylum (which I assume we won't see at retail), all of these sets are pretty cheap. The $20 sets should be winners on the minifigs alone. I'll be interested to see how the Arkham Asylum does after EOL. Other than that, I'll be interested to see the Superman and Iron Man sets.

That Venom figure is one of the coolest I have ever seen.

Most definately. The only reason I need to buy that set really. The new version of Mr Freeze looks great, but I wouldn't say it makes the older one look like crap. Perhaps a little more robust all-around....and kinda pissed off.

That Tumbler is the disappointment of the season.

I like to call this new one, "Tumbler Jr." cause that's exactly what it looks like. It does capture the basic lines and look of the vehicle, but....hmm....just no where near the awesomeness of the original Tumbler is all I'm sayin.

In regards to the original question, I do not see any reason as to why these SUPER HEROES sets will not increase in value or popularity. The vehicles did take a hit for 2013 (and lowered the price by doing so), but the characters are excellent and will ultimately be what helps out in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the new 2013 superhero sets a good investment? I'm most likely to buy the 20 dollar ones and the daily bugle. But will these raise value over time?

Overall, the 2012 and 2013 sets are fine investments and fun. I am a bit weary of re-release sets though (aka refreshes). In my opinion, the latest batcave, batplane, and arkham sets are inferior to their predecessors (size, design, being a rehash, etc... reasons).. Will the releases increase in % over time? Sure. I'll be happy if the releases can perform 50% as wel as the 2006 to 2008 line,

I do see a few sets that are "must haves" especially for investors. Some are near the $20 limited or less.

I don't have my lego set # cheat sheet with me :)

*** = my main picks.

*** Superman with Lex and Wonder Woman - first Legoi release of each. Thbidy suit is also pretty cool once built.

*** TRU's Joker's Funhouse, his first lego playset release. Only came with vehicles to-date. Nice mini figs. TRU had these at $39 for a while.

Walmart's Spider-man set. Just might be harder to come by than the Fun House. I will be picking up 4 more to match my # of fun houses.

The Mr, Freeze and Aquaman set. I thought this was going to look Iike a dude but the set looks cool in person. While I don't care for Batman's white 1990s Kenner styled suit, you do get Aquaman's 1st Lego issue. ..and his surfer style hair is awesome.

*** The helicopter set with Deadpool and Wolverine, I believe Magneto is also included; it's been a while since I looked at mine. Great set. All first issue of mini figs,

Capt. America's motorcycle set. Very cheap. Go get these. 1st Capt Lego issue.

The sets with the Hulk.

I can't wait to see the Daliy Planet set. Hope it has more substance than Spidey's Daily Bugle.

Wow. We have some neat sets there, some of those are inexpensive even at retail. Can't go wrong,

You have already going for them...

Most are initial Lego release of mini figs.

DC and Marvel have fan everywhere like Star Wars.

Can always count in movies or tv shows to help character demand.

Some are limited releases in terms of availability in selected store plus shop@home.

Other than Arkham Asylum, I think the biggest winners from the Superhero sets are 76000 Arctic Batman vs Mr. Freeze - Aquaman on Ice and 6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape.

76000 is only $19.99 and has three great minifigures and 6857 at $39.99 is not widely available and has five great minifigures. I think both of these sets will be big winners later on just for the minifigures alone.

Agree on 76000. My local target had the other Batman sets except for this one.

• 2 weeks later...