What I got From Walmart.com

devinhughey

Don't know if I'm adding the pictures correctly, but I was taken quite aback by how this came to me from Walmart.com.  Shipping label directly on the box. The label said packing slit in box and sure enough they unsealed it and put the packing slip inside. Writing on the box, creases everywhere. Is this what I should expect from any set of this size? Has anyone else had this happen before?

post-37354-0-09962100-1402084399_thumb.j

post-37354-0-41168200-1402084412_thumb.j

post-37354-0-60973200-1402086819_thumb.j

post-37354-0-93072700-1402086831_thumb.j

From reading about others' experiences on here, this is not atypical. Seems to happen with some frequency from Walmart, so much so that a lot of folks just flat out don't buy larger sets from them. I have had very good luck, however. The only large sets I've purchased from them have been 4 GE's which have all miraculously arrived well-packaged & w/ mint boxes. Completely luck of the draw! (Have had packages arrive like yours from Amazon - but that's for another thread.)

Insanity, plain and simple. All they had to do was grab 1 large box, toss the set in, toss the packing slip on top, tape it up. Would have been better than this and quicker if that was the goal. It`s sicking the lack of regard for valuable merchandise. 

Wow, that sucks!  I have only ordered a small $12 Lego set from Wal-Mart (just to get the free shipping for a shelving unit the wife wanted) in the past and it was packaged very nicely by itself.  Wonder if you can now buy this set as used and clearanced from Wal-Mart? 

Don't know if I'm adding the pictures correctly, but I was taken quite aback by how this came to me from Walmart.com.  Shipping label directly on the box. The label said packing slit in box and sure enough they unsealed it and put the packing slip inside. Writing on the box, creases everywhere. Is this what I should expect from any set of this size? Has anyone else had this happen before?

Did you say, "DOH!" when it arrived on your door step? Kidding aside, the walmartians are useless when it comes to customer service. The only time I buy lego from there is during their semi annual clearance sales, and in store only. Other than that I avoid them like the plague. I was tempted to get some more star destroyers during the latest frenzy but my better judgement told me to let others take the risk on receiving a mangled $400 exclusive. Go to amazon, target, or shop at home for the big stuff.

weird, I receive numerous shipment either from walmart to home or store, and they always have a box. I ordered MF and also the terminal airport 60022. Both are in immaculate condition.

Boxing from Amazon is often disappointing though. I recently ordered two 79005 LOTR wizard battle, and they manage to make one box half squashed as they stack both up, then decided to put airbig on top of it and squeeze to a shipment box. While I was planning to open one anyway and don't want to go through the hassle of returning it.

Another time I ordered the UCS imperial shuttle from Amazon like two years ago, and the box is in worse condition as the pics showed here. What a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 2 Arkham Asylums, 2 Grand Emporiums, and 1 Haunted House shipped this way from Walmart.com in the last year.  I even tried site to store once and another directly to a Fedex office and both were shipped like this.  All have been returned.  I let Walmart customer service specifically know why I was returning the item and they sent the replacement the same way.  They just don't learn.

• 1 year later...

Same old story, but I just love telling it....

So I ordered two JW sets from Walmart.com for store pick-up. Went to the store yesterday and got them. She brought them out. Both boxes had the customary stickers stuck to the face of the boxes (as usual). Maybe they're listening to our complaints... this time they adhered maybe only 2 inches from the end of the long stickers, but still... right on the face of the box. I said, "Oh no! You put stickers on the boxes!" I told her that - as a collector - we hate this, and it damages the boxes. I immediately started to carefully peel the first one off... if it ripped the box, I was going to refuse it. As I was slowly and carefully peeling it back, the attendant said, "I can do that for you!" I thought... well, if she wants to help, I'll let her finish this one, and I'll do the other one. I handed the box to her. She grabbed the lose end of the sticker and... YANK!!! ... ripped a postage stamp chunk out of the front of the box! I couldn't believe it.

As it turns out, I knew they had more on the shelf... so I just took my damaged box over to the toy department and made the exchange myself.

Same old story, but I just love telling it....

So I ordered two JW sets from Walmart.com for store pick-up. Went to the store yesterday and got them. She brought them out. Both boxes had the customary stickers stuck to the face of the boxes (as usual). Maybe they're listening to our complaints... this time they adhered maybe only 2 inches from the end of the long stickers, but still... right on the face of the box. I said, "Oh no! You put stickers on the boxes!" I told her that - as a collector - we hate this, and it damages the boxes. I immediately started to carefully peel the first one off... if it ripped the box, I was going to refuse it. As I was slowly and carefully peeling it back, the attendant said, "I can do that for you!" I thought... well, if she wants to help, I'll let her finish this one, and I'll do the other one. I handed the box to her. She grabbed the lose end of the sticker and... YANK!!! ... ripped a postage stamp chunk out of the front of the box! I couldn't believe it.

As it turns out, I knew they had more on the shelf... so I just took my damaged box over to the toy department and made the exchange myself.

For removing stickers on boxes use a hair dryer (Obviously you cant do this in store). Just heat the sticker and slowly peel it back. Works brilliantly and leaves no residue on the box. Ive done this many times, its always worked.

Yep... i've always had issues with walmart.  Seems to be the case, that you are taking a risk when you buy online and have them shipped, or when you have them hold it in the store.  I'd say if you order this way 10 times, maybe 3 will pan out.  I'd say only use walmart if you are planning on building it for your personal collection, otherwise skip it if you are thinking about having it as an investment, unless the deal is too good to pass up.

On the same token, i've had boxes shipped from Amazon, Target, Lego.com, and TRU and never had any issue with any of those retailers and always received mostly mint boxes.

Edited by fossilrock

I ordered some Constitution Trains at Wal-Mart for pick-up and they canceled my order.  I go to this store a few weeks later and see some Constitution Trains on the shelf, I pick one up and there is a Site To Store sticker on it with my name on it.  I pick up another and it has the same sticker.  They canceled my order and just stuck them back on the shelf with my pick-up sticker attached to the box.  I did ask them to remove the sticker before placing them back on the floor.

• Like 4

For removing stickers on boxes use a hair dryer (Obviously you cant do this in store). Just heat the sticker and slowly peel it back. Works brilliantly and leaves no residue on the box. Ive done this many times, its always worked.

If you don't have a hair dryer with you in the store :-)  you can always, with some pressure rub your fingers quickly back & fourth across the sticker - the friction will produce enough warmth to soften the glue somewhat - it looks counter intuitive, like you're actually pressing the sticker more firmly in place but it does work in a pinch.

or 'course if you have a Samsung dumbphone just rest it on the box for a few minutes & the heat from the battery should work sufficiently if it doesn't burst into flames first. :wink:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to order from walmart.com and get a "this item doesn't deliver to your location" I tried for both site to store and home delivery and couldn't get them to let me buy and have it delivered to me here in the deep south. However someone told me maybe I should have tried a different walmart store location in my area and see if they can do the site to store then.

Anyway with the way walmart tends to ship carelessly I guess I'm better off going else where anyway for my Lego fix :)

Has anyone tried to order from walmart.com and get a "this item doesn't deliver to your location" I tried for both site to store and home delivery and couldn't get them to let me buy and have it delivered to me here in the deep south. However someone told me maybe I should have tried a different walmart store location in my area and see if they can do the site to store then.

Anyway with the way walmart tends to ship carelessly I guess I'm better off going else where anyway for my Lego fix :)

The times I've had this issue its been on an item that was usually moving to sold out status. I've never had it appear any other time...