75058 - MTT

TheOrcKing

• 7 months later...

I don't think there are many of these out there, and i'd expect this to be the last MTT released in a very long time. Out of all the Summer 2014 wave, this is by far the one with the lowest production numbers, and I have seen these twice at our local TRU and each time they had 1 in stock.  I decided to buy two online during a BOGO40% at TRU, and i'm kind of glad I did, but that is all the further i'm going with this one.  I let my son open one (he's almost 5) and it's one of his favorite sets to play with.  It was also a real fun built. In terms of playability it's a great set for that, and he loves the droid sets for some reason.  We just built the droid troop carrier the other day, and that was also a fun build. Let's face it, a lot of us older folks that grew up during episodes 4-6 don't find these very exciting, but the younger generations do.  This set won't go into the 300+ range like the previous MTT, but I think it will at least go well over 100 when it does disappear. 

I don't think there are many of these out there, and i'd expect this to be the last MTT released in a very long time. Out of all the Summer 2014 wave, this is by far the one with the lowest production numbers, and I have seen these twice at our local TRU and each time they had 1 in stock.  

Isn't this a TRU exclusive, or am I wrong about this...

Isn't this a TRU exclusive, or am I wrong about this...

Yes, only TRU and Lego.com have them.  Although, speculating on prequel sets that are TRU exclusive is a tough game - Palpatines Arrest was a TRU exclusive, and it hasn't exactly done well.   But the thing about the MTT is that it actually has good playability to it.  For a kid, this is the "poor mans" UCS sandcrawler.

Yes, only TRU and Lego.com have them. Although, speculating on prequel sets that are TRU exclusive is a tough game - Palpatines Arrest was a TRU exclusive, and it hasn't exactly done well. But the thing about the MTT is that it actually has good playability to it. For a kid, this is the "poor mans" UCS sandcrawler.

Low production runs are not something I typically associate with TRU exclusives. At least Palptines arrest and the Jedi defender had nice minifigures. I see nothing about the MTt that will make it sought after.
  • Like 1

Back when this set was released it was going for about 80% above what it retailed for when it was hard to obtain.  So, to each their own.  But, I think a lot of younger kids would prefer to play with MTTs over AT-AT's.  

I agree. My 8 year old loves the prequel trilogy, specifically all the droids and vehicles. I guess I'm just holding a bit of a grudge against the MTT since my son's birthday is 3 days after it came out and I had pay full retail for it.  :no:  I wish they would have made this the smaller half @%&ed build instead of the AAT 75080 and put a more effort into the AAT.

• 10 months later...

So reading the short thread on this set it seems there's not much love here.  Compared to 7662 I have to agree that this set could have been better (and I do actually really want a 7662 - just not a the price its currently being offered at).  This version I've skipped and even when i saw one at 33% off i didn't even stop to check box condition :) (can't buy everything and I'd have rather bought a full price Tyderium). 

Generally seems that prequel sets are less demanded in the aftermarket and as many others have said its probably a direct factor of the strength of the films and their following.
If i'm a dad and my son/daughter whats an MTT...i'm all... merrgh.  Lets just wait until the next set you like at retail is available.  If they were after an AT-AT though i'm falling over myself to buy it for them.

Maybe this will be a good contrarian pick but I think it ranks behind 7662 and just not one of those iconic lego representations of vehicles. 
That said I'd say the stash of this one isn't that deep so may well see a good rise because supply and demand might be well balanced.

Saying that I do really like the Qui-Gon figure in this set and that could be a real draw for completionists (so MTT without Qui Gon + Qui Gon part out would be a more valuable package then a sealed MTT).  So even a set that I'd consider a dud might actually be a good buy if I'm willing to put in the extra part out effort.

After that last paragraph I'm now wishing i got one myself.  I want the Qui-Gon and Obi Wan figs and the rest could be useful to an army builder.

2 hours ago, Lego_Yoda said:

So reading the short thread on this set it seems there's not much love here.  Compared to 7662 I have to agree that this set could have been better (and I do actually really want a 7662 - just not a the price its currently being offered at).  This version I've skipped and even when i saw one at 33% off i didn't even stop to check box condition :) (can't buy everything and I'd have rather bought a full price Tyderium). 

Generally seems that prequel sets are less demanded in the aftermarket and as many others have said its probably a direct factor of the strength of the films and their following.
If i'm a dad and my son/daughter whats an MTT...i'm all... merrgh.  Lets just wait until the next set you like at retail is available.  If they were after an AT-AT though i'm falling over myself to buy it for them.

Maybe this will be a good contrarian pick but I think it ranks behind 7662 and just not one of those iconic lego representations of vehicles. 
That said I'd say the stash of this one isn't that deep so may well see a good rise because supply and demand might be well balanced.

Saying that I do really like the Qui-Gon figure in this set and that could be a real draw for completionists (so MTT without Qui Gon + Qui Gon part out would be a more valuable package then a sealed MTT).  So even a set that I'd consider a dud might actually be a good buy if I'm willing to put in the extra part out effort.

After that last paragraph I'm now wishing i got one myself.  I want the Qui-Gon and Obi Wan figs and the rest could be useful to an army builder.

I'm kinda surprised and bummed that I never had the chance to get one for cheap at tru, I like the set and the figures and would have loved to get it but not for $90-$95 

9 hours ago, California92563 said:

I'm kinda surprised and bummed that I never had the chance to get one for cheap at tru, I like the set and the figures and would have loved to get it but not for $90-$95 

I thought it was a May 4th promo on LEGO Shop at Home last year, but it sold out quickly. I know I vacillated on it long enough for it to disappear from my cart

36 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I thought it was a May 4th promo on LEGO Shop at Home last year, but it sold out quickly. I know I vacillated on it long enough for it to disappear from my cart

Is that when it was 20% off? I remember getting few from Lego at $72 I think, I parted them out and it was a nice deal IMO. 

I got mine for $65 on eBay just before Thanksgiving. Box had a bunch of creases and some dents, but no rips and it was still sealed, so I was still happy with the purchase. You can find lots of stuff on eBay for cheap, you just have to be patient and attentive. I imagine someone will sell this set again for below MSRP. My hunch is that it's pricing will be like 75020 Jabba's Sail Barge which has been hovering MSRP even 4-6 months after retirement

• 8 months later...

This set seems to be doing "ok" as it has only been retired in UK at start of January and ebay prices are already between £115-125 (28-39% above RRP).

Seeing as it looks unlikely for anymore episode 1 vehicles like MTT or even ATT releasing in future, this set should do good. I was thinking of starting to sell some of mines this Xmas to see how much the price goes up to. I think a realistic figure near Xmas should be £135 (50% above RRP).

This set seems to be doing "ok" as it has only been retired in UK at start of January and ebay prices are already between £115-125 (28-39% above RRP).
Seeing as it looks unlikely for anymore episode 1 vehicles like MTT or even ATT releasing in future, this set should do good. I was thinking of starting to sell some of mines this Xmas to see how much the price goes up to. I think a realistic figure near Xmas should be £135 (50% above RRP).

It's stagnated by undercutters in the US. It will be some time before it's worthy.