21009 - Farnsworth House

88leeshop

As you probably know, this set is "done" (sold out at Lego SAH USA). So, if by collect you mean collect, then buy it now. If by collect you mean invest in multiples, then do that only if you can get it at discount (here in US, Barnes & Noble physical stores would be the best bet due to coupons and discount gift cards)

For what it's worth, I did email LEGO CS a few weeks back, and they did say it was retired. Of course it usually doesn't mean much but it is an old, unpopular set, so I wouldn't be surprised if it retires soon. 

If you are a completist, then I suppose you have to have it, but I don't really see any appeal in the set, so I would pass. There are many other more outstanding sets, that should be picked up first, like Fallingwater.

This set is a little dull looking when you look at the box but when you have it in front of you it actually is a very nice looking set and looks good on display.  If you like Architecture sets then you will like this set. In terms of investment, as was noted above, If you can get it for the right price, it will provide solid returns long term after retirement and knowing that it is most likely retired I am picking up a couple from BN using the methods described above. I got one for $40 recently. 

For what it's worth, I did email LEGO CS a few weeks back, and they did say it was retired. Of course it usually doesn't mean much but it is an old, unpopular set, so I wouldn't be surprised if it retires soon.

If you are a completist, then I suppose you have to have it, but I don't really see any appeal in the set, so I would pass. There are many other more outstanding sets, that should be picked up first, like Fallingwater.

Anyone tried to email lego CS about SSD? :-)

I would pick up any of these that you can find.  The best bet is Barnes and Noble with coupons like already suggested.  You can also find them at TRU but they are not on sale and a tad overpriced.  The great thing about Architecture sets is that many are under the radar sets.  This set will have its niche market and appreciate nicely.  I am pretty sure it will hit $100 by Christmas if no more are released.  The cheapest on Amazon is already over $70.  Have you checked out 21016 Sungnyemun Gate at $175 on eBay now?  I know that set had a short run, but in the Architecture series, the building doesn't have to be well known for the set to do well.

I agree that Fallingwater is a huge winner too, but that is showing conflicting signs of retirement.  It could still have another year in it.  B&****** is the best way to pick that one up too.

I would pick up any of these that you can find.  The best bet is Barnes and Noble with coupons like already suggested.  You can also find them at TRU but they are not on sale and a tad overpriced.  The great thing about Architecture sets is that many are under the radar sets.  This set will have its niche market and appreciate nicely.  I am pretty sure it will hit $100 by Christmas if no more are released.  The cheapest on Amazon is already over $70.  Have you checked out 21016 Sungnyemun Gate at $175 on eBay now?  I know that set had a short run, but in the Architecture series, the building doesn't have to be well known for the set to do well.

I know that several B&******'s have the Farnsworth house in stock in several of the stores around me, but it may take a while before they disappear completely from stores.

Really not a fan of the set.  I'd pick up Falling Water at B&****** instead for $54 instead.  I'm all Falling Watered out though so I'm trying I'm trying to gobble up as many Olivia's House as I can for $43 a pop.

How would u go about gettin falling water at such a steep discount?

• 1 month later...

There're a few Farnsworth house at the local B&******. Worthwhile to pick it up or grab Fallingwater at MSRP instead?

This a tough call...after discounts Fallingwater will likely yield a bit more profit and quicker, but Farnsworth house is now retired, yet still available at many stores and not really appreciating quite yet. I wouldn't buy either at MSRP, only with coupons and discounted gc's.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

This a tough call...after discounts Fallingwater will likely yield a bit more profit and quicker, but Farnsworth house is now retired, yet still available at many stores and not really appreciating quite yet. I wouldn't buy either at MSRP, only with coupons and discounted gc's.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I agree.  Wait for coupons.  It isn't appreciating past the TRU price of $70 because they still have them on eBay at that price.  They are selling, so when TRU sells out, I think it will slowly start appreciating towards $100-$150 over the next 2-3 years.  If you are looking for faster growth, I would look elsewhere.

Fallingwater will be killer when it retires, but it could be a few more years.  Anyone's guess.

I buy both when I have B&****** coupons because I love the architecture line.

• 1 month later...

I had $25 in reward for TRU, was thinking about getting one of these. Maybe even doing it thursday with 10% off too. Just stash it away long term. How long do you think TRU will have these? Should I just use my points on something else?

I picked up 10 this month from local lego stores for 48 and then 45. Sold 2 at 75 and holding rest. I like the set but think there like 70 at TRU. Probably would use on something else. TRU here got in some city garage. I still like that set for some reason. Its retired as well and msrp Instead of 10 over

I picked up 10 this month from local lego stores for 48 and then 45. Sold 2 at 75 and holding rest. I like the set but think there like 70 at TRU. Probably would use on something else. TRU here got in some city garage. I still like that set for some reason. Its retired as well and msrp Instead of 10 over

So lego stores actually have sales and discounts?

So lego stores actually have sales and discounts?

yes all the ones here had these in stock on the shelves with with the white sale sticker.  They were $48 at first then sold out and got a few back in at $45.  Sometimes they just do weekend sales on select items also.  This was sold out for awhile then came back in with the sale price.  

In my limited experience, LEGO Stores seem to mirror the Shop Lego prices too. If something is on clearance/discount on the website, it will be at the same price in the store. But you can also find stuff retired/sold out from the website sitting at shelves for a discount, like Farnsworth/Mixels, etc. They may be in bins in the middle of the store too.

• 4 months later...