10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

IMO sellers should mention in listings if any pieces have been replaced, especially if the replacement pieces are not identical to the originals. I see plenty of MS, GG and CC bricklinked with new pieces that are slightly different to the orginals. Take the red sloped roof pieces for CC for instance. The originals had different color and plastic to the new ones that came out with the winter toy shop. Maybe I am just a picky but when I am spending big bucks on a set being portrayed as original I don't expect a replica.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, asharerin said:

IMO sellers should mention in listings if any pieces have been replaced, especially if the replacement pieces are not identical to the originals. I see plenty of MS, GG and CC bricklinked with new pieces that are slightly different to the orginals. Take the red sloped roof pieces for CC for instance. The originals had different color and plastic to the new ones that came out with the winter toy shop. Maybe I am just a picky but when I am spending big bucks on a set being portrayed as original I don't expect a replica.

i completely agree.  i have seen some ebay sellers that are very transparent.  they'll state, 16 pieces substituted, and then in item description, discuss what pieces are substituted.  i know that has to be a pain in the butt to do, but it does give me more confidence when buying a more expensive set.  i think substitutions get lumped into the same category as bricklinking, but i do see a difference..  i understand pieces can get lost or mixed up and substitutions are normal and necessary, but substituting a few pieces is different for me than bricklinking an entire set. 

Edited by waydog
  • Like 1

I salute those of you who can pick out of a lineup a set that came originally from a box and one that uses the exact right pieces gathered from other sources. I don't know if it's ESP, advanced training, or some sense that I don't have. I would hazard a guess that 97% of all LEGO collectors couldn't tell if you put in a lineup 1 from the original box, 1 that had been supplemented to make up for lost pieces and one that had been gathered from part 1 from other sources if all pieces are the exact originals.

Here's my question though, if you are concerned about the fidelity of your sets, why would you ever purchase a used set from anyone? There is no way to be 100% sure that someone hadn't replaced a piece that fell off, yellowed or some other various happenstance. Falsus in Uno, falsus in omnibus.

I salute those of you who can pick out of a lineup a set that came originally from a box and one that uses the exact right pieces gathered from other sources. I don't know if it's ESP, advanced training, or some sense that I don't have. I would hazard a guess that 97% of all LEGO collectors couldn't tell if you put in a lineup 1 from the original box, 1 that had been supplemented to make up for lost pieces and one that had been gathered from part 1 from other sources if all pieces are the exact originals.

Here's my question though, if you are concerned about the fidelity of your sets, why would you ever purchase a used set from anyone? There is no way to be 100% sure that someone hadn't replaced a piece that fell off, yellowed or some other various happenstance. Falsus in Uno, falsus in omnibus.

To answer your question... I rarely buy used sets for myself. In fact, I can't think of any other than our Cafe Corner which was complete with box and instructions. So yes I'm picky and willing to pay for it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

used sets cost less, but even higher end used sets cost a pretty penny.  i am trying to be an informed consumer and mitigate the risk that comes with buying online.  i surely don't want to end up with a penthouse magazine and some dog biscuits in my diagon alley set, but alas, that can happen.  if the seller is detailed with their description, honest and transparent, posts good picks, has great feedback, has the box, manuals, i am more confident in spending hundreds of dollars on a used set. 

i will also be much more willing to frequent that same buyer again, and again, and again.  the buyer wins as well in this scenario.  they get a fast payer, a repeat customer, and make good profit and i get a set i want.  its win/win. 

you brought up the lost pieces and and exact originals and i did state right above your post that i am fine with minor substitutions because i understand things happen.  its interesting that no matter how much i discuss the difference between substituting a few lost pieces and bricklinking the entire set, the antagonist approach is to just bring up a few missing pieces again as if it has not been mentioned or explained.  very interesting.  if you are fine with bricklinking a set, or selling a bricklinked set without notifying the seller, you have that right.

My Bricklink'd 10179 is worth 30% more than any original 10179, that's just the way it is.

It's like margin in the retail world. There is more margin VALUE in higher end branded goods, but there is higher margin percentage in non brand names.

Basically, the original set Costs more but should be worth more, the bricklinked set should cost less but also be worth slightly less. From a profit standpoint, it's ROI or return will probably be higher.

It all boils down like Ed said to integrity of the industry and opinion or value of the collector. All of which are personal and variable.

3 hours ago, waydog said:

you brought up the lost pieces and and exact originals and i did state right above your post that i am fine with minor substitutions because i understand things happen.  its interesting that no matter how much i discuss the difference between substituting a few lost pieces and bricklinking the entire set, the antagonist approach is to just bring up a few missing pieces again as if it has not been mentioned or explained.  very interesting.  if you are fine with bricklinking a set, or selling a bricklinked set without notifying the seller, you have that right.

The big thing though, does the number of replaced pieces really matter? I can truly understand the mind you have with regards to your pickiness, but if you are willing to accept a few replacements, then an entire set shouldn't matter.  Do you have a particular number of pieces before it becomes unbuyable?

With regards to selling, I've always been honest and never hide anything with my listings.  I would disclose it's bricklinked, but everything is 100% original to the set.

3 hours ago, exciter1 said:

My Bricklink'd 10179 is worth 30% more than any original 10179, that's just the way it is.

That's one nice thing about bricklinking older sets.  If you know what you are doing, you can make good money.  That's the beauty.  You are doing the work for someone who doesn't care about manuals/boxes etc, if you don't include them, and aren't willing to take the time themselves.  Some people just care for the set, and don't care how it is.

When I bricklinked my MF, I did it relatively cheap compared to used sets that were on the market at the time.  Of course I also enjoyed the process of it.

6 hours ago, illiguy said:

I just picked up a used, complete 10179 from a trusted seller and forum member for ~ $2500 USD without manual or box. 

I want to build this set as it is my grail and have no intention of flipping. No regrets. 

And you won't regret it.  It was the most fun I've ever had building a set, and nothing I've built since has compared in final outcome to the MF.  It's a beauty of a set, and my crown jewel.  Everyone that sees my room always compliments the MF.  That says a lot.  Happy building!!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, LahH001 said:

Owners of 10179 are safe. Tabbyboy you should've kept your minty one!

I just couldn't chance it. At least I made a few grand on the one I had so could you imagine how P'd off I'd be if the new one was identical(ish) and the value plummeted? If the new one is comparible, at last I can now build one and enjoy it ;-)

I may sound like Victor Meldrew this days, but LEGO really need to start pushing the boat out a bit and take a chance. They forget to release that it's AFOLs that have the most money and won't hesitate to buy a >5,000 piece set. Every time I see a new set, I think. "Oh.. is that all it is then?"

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, LahH001 said:

It's coming. But will be different, hence no risk from an investment perspective

Tell that to a 10188 owner who bought at RRP ;-)

We're in volatile times, there is always risk. I can only think of it as good news because I made >8x on the one I had (including the extra £150 for grading) which I would never have opened, built and enjoyed... and I can now look forward to finally building one (or maybe two with different dishes) knowing that I can always sell on one day.

BTW... How's your new Red 5? Superb aren't they?

43 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I just couldn't chance it. At least I made a few grand on the one I had so could you imagine how P'd off I'd be if the new one was identical(ish) and the value plummeted? If the new one is comparible, at last I can now build one and enjoy it ;-)

I may sound like Victor Meldrew this days, but LEGO really need to start pushing the boat out a bit and take a chance. They forget to release that it's AFOLs that have the most money and won't hesitate to buy a >5,000 piece set. Every time I see a new set, I think. "Oh.. is that all it is then?"

I like looking at history to help predict the future. 

Even a smaller sized UCS MF will hurt the original's value.  During retail. the majority of people will flock to the cheapest one even if it's inferior.  After the newest one is retired, take a look at the UCS X-Wings for a prediction.

At retail, the older 7191 UCS X-Wing lost demand when 10240 was released..   After the newer one retired (10240), neither one is doing much lately; it's like each is negating growth for each other.  Thus a ceiling has been prematurely created for the new one.  Even being featured in Rogue One, didn't help either UCS X-Wing.

• Like 1

Tell that to a 10188 owner who bought at RRP ;-)
We're in volatile times, there is always risk. I can only think of it as good news because I made >8x on the one I had (including the extra £150 for grading) which I would never have opened, built and enjoyed... and I can now look forward to finally building one (or maybe two with different dishes) knowing that I can always sell on one day.
BTW... How's your new Red 5? Superb aren't they?

It was R2. Not built yet. BTW - where's my fecking creator Parrot!

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, LahH001 said:

It was R2. Not built yet. BTW - where's my fecking creator Parrot!

LOL.

Sorry, I got confused as I've sold so much to you guys ;-)

It must have flown away as you unpacked it! I'm out of them now otherwise I'd pop one in the post. You really really really don't want one of those parrots!

LOL.
Sorry, I got confused as I've sold so much to you guys ;-)
It must have flown away as you unpacked it! I'm out of them now otherwise I'd pop one in the post. You really really really don't want one of those parrots!

Dude, just pulling your leg. I have enough of those blasted birds. I just used them for spare parts. If you are doing another sale of any old sets ping me.