10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

Guest TabbyBoy
18 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

Dude, just pulling your leg. I have enough of those blasted birds. I just used them for spare parts. If you are doing another sale of any old sets ping me.

Now you know why I sold 100 of them for just few quid. Yes, I'll ping you during my next culling session ;-)

17 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

This Snowspeeder model makes me think that any future remake of the UCS Millennium Falcon will be similar in nature...smaller, yet more accurate, with better building techniques.  I certainly don't foresee a huge 5000+ piece, $600+ UCS Falcon in the future.  It's just my opinion, but trends would point to that direction.  

That is something I already predicted too in the speculations about a new UCS MF. That it will be bigger than the 7965/75105 playset MF, but smaller than the 10179 UCS version. For example, where the 10179 has an open (no windows) cockpit, I expect the new UCS MF to have a moulded cockpit window, similar (but bigger) to the one in the 75105 set.

8 hours ago, Haay said:

That is something I already predicted too in the speculations about a new UCS MF. That it will be bigger than the 7965/75105 playset MF, but smaller than the 10179 UCS version. For example, where the 10179 has an open (no windows) cockpit, I expect the new UCS MF to have a moulded cockpit window, similar (but bigger) to the one in the 75105 set.

The canopy in the UCS Slave 1 and Tie Fighter are unique to the set... The canopy on the 75144 snowspeeder looks new too (the old one had 2 of the 6x4 canopies, the new one clearly has a single 6x8 which doesn't yet exist in any parts catalog).

It would strike me as odd to not make a new canopy for a re-released UCS MF.

1 hour ago, Haay said:

Is the new 75144 UCS Snowspeeder minifig scale then ? ;) 

Is the UCS Star Drestroyer a minifig scale then?
As mentioned, they are trying to stick to this concept of keeping minifig scale as much as Lego current evolution of the brick allows and so. (marketing, size, price etc to keep all this in reasonable range)

okay i have a funny story about this set. 

so i got one for christmas one year and ofc i built it right away and loved it. but my best friend from middle school said something to me that always stuck with me. he said we should buy another one just to keep in his closet and never open it. that idea unsettled me and disquieted my young mind.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brickwheatloaf said:

so i got one for christmas one year and ofc i built it right away and loved it. but my best friend from middle school said something to me that always stuck with me. he said we should buy another one just to keep in his closet and never open it. that idea unsettled me and disquieted my young mind.  

What is ofc?

This is nice area for a troll to live I can drill down if you want ;) 

IMG_4746.PNG

Edited by Pseudoty

1 hour ago, brickwheatloaf said:

Is he now an extremely successful player of the stock market, making fistfuls of cash?? Clearly had some sort of insight, damn. 

i guess the ending to that story is that you two didn't get a second copy.... and didn't make fistfuls of cash? 

1 minute ago, Pseudoty said:

ofc

" of course "

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not really to up to date with "building techniques" as only ever build sets and never do MOC's etc. Has much changed since 10179 and now? 
I know alot of people say the UCS ISD can definitely be updated with new techniques etc.

Having just finished building 10030 (the UCS ISD) I can tell you first hand it could be done better.

The internal structure, as is, needs to be modified to make it stronger. Large panels for the set are attached with magnets.

You basically build an entire 3 foot long panel and then attach it to the structure. There are a number of ways you could make much small pieces and attach it to the without losing anything to the look of the set.

I haven't built any other ISD, nor did I build 10221 or any of the MFs so I can't really compare techniques over time. But build techniques definitely change and evolve. 10030 is a 15 year old design. Even at 10 years old, 10179 has got to have some better build techniques.

I like what others are suggesting. Something a little smaller, closer to minifigure scale, with some additional touches inside, and at least the two different radar dishes.

Hell, if they wait until the Han Solo movie comes out, maybe we'll find out that Lando really did something before to the Falcon and that's why Han told him to bring it back without a scratch (and that becomes another mod possibility).
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I like what others are suggesting. Something a little smaller, closer to minifigure scale, with some additional touches inside, and at least the two different radar dishes.

Hell, if they wait until the Han Solo movie comes out, maybe we'll find out that Lando really did something before to the Falcon and that's why Han told him to bring it back without a scratch (and that becomes another mod possibility).

Are you saying 10179 is not to minifig scale because it is too large?  I always thought it was a touch too small, so a smaller one would be even further away from minifig scale.

• Like 1

This is a quote taken from LEGO.com. Do not modify it.

Build the ultimate Millennium Falcon

This is it - the biggest, most spectacular LEGO model ever! Straight out of the classic Star Wars movies comes the Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon, Han Solo's famous smuggling starship. Every detail of the modified Corellian Engineering Corporation YT-1300 freighter is here, all constructed to scale with LEGO minifigures. At almost 3 feet (90cm) long, it's the ultimate centerpiece to any LEGO collection!

With over 5,000 pieces, this is the biggest LEGO set ever made!

Model is built completely to minifigure scale - minifigures can sit inside and man the controls!

Landing gear provides a stable base for model to stand on!

Ship is over 33" long, 22" wide and 8" tall! (84cm long x 56cm wide x 21cm tall)

Radar dish rotates and elevates and boarding ramp extends!

Top and bottom quad-laser turrets rotate for realistic play!

Cockpit top can be removed to access minifigures!

Includes 5 minifigures: Han Solo, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia Organa!

This special set also includes a display card with detailed ship specifications!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

So for anyone that's built 10179 - what's the build technique like? Is there room for improvement?

I'd argue that there wasn't much room for improvement from 10188 to 75159. But could we see some significant changes? Or does this scream rehash/minor mod?

Yeah.  Many top panels really don't clutch into place by design.  Just a technic x pins slide into technic bricks with holes.

the center area under the exhaust consistently fails off.  It's held in place by 2 or 4 horizontal pin holder elements,

• Like 1