10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

On 3/14/2017 at 11:06 AM, Alpinemaps said:

So for anyone that's built 10179 - what's the build technique like? Is there room for improvement?

Large section of the rear underside for me always fell off. Had to secure it with some wrapped around elastic bands to keep it from falling while mounted on the wall. Not a big deal as it's out of sight for me, but certainly a huge design flaw. 

Didn't realize we had a UCS MF 2017 Rumor thread going already.  So, I've moved a number of posts from the last few days over here:

Hopefully the conversations make sense.  I kept the very specific to 10179 posts here.  Please take the new set rumor talk over to the other thread, thanks.

There is a local pickup within my range of a Used 10179 for $1000.  So tempting, but just don't have that kind of cash right now for my collection along with the ongoing rumors of a new one coming soon.  I assume we may continue to see prices like this compared to the higher ranges the closer we get to a release of a new MF.  

Ebay USA is just a giant cluster of fakes with a few genuine 10179s scattered in between. That platform has gone to s**t. Once you do find the genuine articles sold prices are tanking hard.

My money is on a rehash of 10179 with a few new parts, updated figs and box art. No way this company put big money into a new design at this stage of the game IMO. UCS is dead to me. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Yeppers search Lego 10179 and just the real deal front and center. No BS. Nirvana for shoppers.

these people who searched for there real deal item front and center might disagree with you.  Didn't seem to be there Nirvana

https://www.amazon.com/Kat-Von-Monarch-Eyeshadow-Palette/product-reviews/B00JNCJH9Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Ani-Bangle-Initials-Bracelet/product-reviews/B008CJ62Y4

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Ani-Rafaelian-Gold-Tone-Bracelet/product-reviews/B004UOO57G/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews

hundreds of different Alex and Ani bracelets with same type reviews spanning 4 years of fake complaints

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Adapter-Sync-Charging-Cable/product-reviews/B00CQS0S7E/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_152?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&pageNumber=152&sortBy=recent

4 years 1521 1 star reviews yet they are still selling them even though numerous fake complaints

https://www.amazon.com/mophie-Juice-Pack-Protective-iPhone/product-reviews/B00AD5KY6W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&pageNumber=2

Mophie was another one that had years of problems for fakes

That doesn't account for all the listings that were sent the wrong item for years as it was coded wrong or packaged wrong and Amazon continually did not fix.    For 3 months they were sending out Fitbit Ones that were mispackaged in error and were burgundy instead of black.  People would complain and they resent the wrong one again cause they just grab and go.   Another issue when you just have one listing you go off of. 

Just a sample across a few product brands of people that typed in there item hoping to find the real thing front and center.  Obviously you only have one listing to type in on Amazon as that is how the format is set up (even that can be debatable on certain products).  Ebay was never set up to be a one listing format.  It was a place to sell some collectibles or items you no longer wanted for some money.    It was never set up to be a place to sell new goods in volume.  Like everything it evolved over the years and grew as well.   When Amazon, and others came into the market it forced the BIN options and change to storefronts more than it had before.    Which brought in manufacturers, box stores and everything else.   We all know everything has changed the last 20 years and this is where we are at now.  Been good changes and bad changes but both formats have there issues and always have.   To sit there and say they have no fakes it pretty ridiculous.  It has always been two different markets.   There is much more you can do with ebay in terms of parting anything of value out or salvaging something for value that you could not do on Amazon.  I've seen people make a living parting Dysons out down to every single piece and getting triple retail for them doing that.   Amazon is great for moving new product in volume among other things.  At least with ebay you can see the item is a fake for sure if you know what you are looking for versus just blindly buying under a listing that is supposed to be what you want although it might not be what you receive.  Either way the buyer is protected on both formats as we have all seen.   Both formats have there share of different versions of scams, different versions of random suspensions or gates / limits so everyone just needs to do which format suits them best.   One thing I can guarantee is if anyone has been in this long term we all started on ebay at one point and probably all made decent money there which got us all interested in finding other avenues to do online sales.   That is where Amazon is great as people with daily jobs can also have a full time business with FBA and try to juggle both sometimes making more in their FBA ventures than there jobs.  That is a great option to have these days.

• Like 3

I'm on iPad Pro which won't be uncommon in USA for someone to use who is searching to buy a 10179. If I go to Amazon and type in Lego Millennium Falcon (just like that with LEGO being the first word) they show up. So is the buyer going to type in 10179 who knows some will some won't 

All that said eBay is a mess. Used to be you just had to sort out people cross listing the set number in the MPN field to make their listings for whatever they are selling show up when someone searches 10179 and the FF Happy family running a BL store on eBay for every popular set, hate having to sort thru their mess of listings. If your on here and it works for you great but as a buyer I would never click on anything you have. Now you have to deal with fakes and that are selling and their impact on price. Will be interesting to see performance analysis of sets with and without them filtered out. 

REAL collectors will do the leg work to make sure they're not buying a fake item on eBay (not saying they can't be scammed). CHEAP collectors will buy the fake even when the listing says it's compatible with LEGO because they don't give a damn.

To say one customer base (eBay vs Amazon) is more edumacated is totally ludicrous. Millions of people shop online now. They are all getting the benefits of googles years of search engine work to find marketplaces and cheap prices.

"Uneducated buyer" is a total misnomer these days. Lazy is the word I prefer. Lazy people get scammed on all selling platforms.

*edit - just to add that good buyers do get scammed but it's usually by a fraudulent listing rather than being too lazy to read the damn listing and has nothing to do with eBay vs Amazon *

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Depends what words you include in the search. Replace lego with compatible and they show up.

Why would anyone searching for Lego search for "compatible" lol???

But I do agree with you 10179 is toast.

Didn't mean to offend the ebay fanboys. Went to track the market for 10179 on the platform and was shocked to see fakes for $160 dominating the listings and sold pages when searching "lego 10179". 

Well, if it works for ink cartridges, it works for toys. I guess Amazon have been stricter in not allowing them to list as Lego compatible.

Searching for Star Wars Millennium Falcon will bring all of them up so the casual buyer can see them that way.

I'm on iPad Pro which won't be uncommon in USA for someone to use who is searching to buy a 10179. If I go to Amazon and type in Lego Millennium Falcon (just like that with LEGO being the first word) they show up. So is the buyer going to type in 10179 who knows some will some won't 

All that said eBay is a mess. Used to be you just had to sort out people cross listing the set number in the MPN field to make their listings for whatever they are selling show up when someone searches 10179 and the FF Happy family running a BL store on eBay for every popular set, hate having to sort thru their mess of listings. If your on here and it works for you great but as a buyer I would never click on anything you have. Now you have to deal with fakes and that are selling and their impact on price. Will be interesting to see performance analysis of sets with and without them filtered out. 

95% of fakes don't show up in my EBay searches, since I filter out Made in or shipped from China items.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

This is yet another example of my 10179 life.  Every 6-10 months, sections fall off because it gets bumped into by the wife or me moving  sets remotely near it for shipping.  (Regarding the ball & chain, it's probably on purpose as she hates all Lego sets in the house that aren't being picked up by a mail carrier). So I moved the set upstairs to do the repairs.  

I have no idea where the 1x1 black cheese slope came from (on the iPad).  Someone in the house has prob been reading the 75159 thread and is playing a joke on me. 

IMG_6165.JPG

• Like 4

On 3/18/2017 at 10:20 AM, asharerin said:

Ebay USA is just a giant cluster of fakes with a few genuine 10179s scattered in between. That platform has gone to s**t. Once you do find the genuine articles sold prices are tanking hard.

My money is on a rehash of 10179 with a few new parts, updated figs and box art. No way this company put big money into a new design at this stage of the game IMO. UCS is dead to me. 

Pretty much the way I feel about the UCS theme.  It was once a theme for "collectors."  There was some exclusivity.  I am hoping the new Falcon will be special...bigger and badder and more than the 10179.  If LEGO just lazily tweaks the 10179, that does not bode well for the future of any STAR WARS sets, especially the UCS subtheme.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

10179 99.9% restored.

Just need to figure out where one light bley 3x2 left wedge plate goes. D'oh. 

Just stick it somewhere discreet lol.  I had the same issue with my Sandcrawler(exact piece too, except brown) and just stuck it on top as a hood ornament.  I remember, that is a fragile beast.

• Like 5