10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

23 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Hmm, does it make sense to keep the old one? Is this more the question if someone is completionist or not?

Not a completionist myself, nor do i have the room to be; but i sold my 10179 to someone who is, and said they were waiting for this time to buy it to have it in their collection beside the new one. Apparently he had every UCS set, so they are out there.

5 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

Not a completionist myself, nor do i have the room to be; but i sold my 10179 to someone who is, and said they were waiting for this time to buy it to have it in their collection beside the new one. Apparently he had every UCS set, so they are out there.

But does it really makes sense??? I am asking because I am in the same dilemma, I could sell the old one at 2000 Euro with no fees.

On one side it is nice to have them all, on the other side, why to keep the old stuff when the new one is much nicer/better etc...

3 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

But does it really makes sense??? I am asking because I am in the same dilemma, I could sell the old one at 2000 Euro with no fees.

On one side it is nice to have them all, on the other side, why to keep the old stuff when the new one is much nicer/better etc...

I think it depends person to person. I personally wouldn't be able to stand having that many models on display in my small condo, but if i had a whole empty room maybe. Even so i take the "less is more" approach to displaying my sets. I like to have a handful out on display as to not make the place look cluttered and overwhelming. I don't see the desire to own both 10179 and 75192 and display them together no, but to each their own!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

why to keep the old stuff when the new one is much nicer/better etc...

I have a '67 Camaro, Ed has a '68 and my dad has a '69..... Sure the new ones have really pretty interiors and fancy new tech, but I wouldn't trade my "old" one for one of these "new" ones that will be all over the place.

• Like 2

Just now, Jeff Mack said:

I have a '67 Camaro, Ed has a '68 and my dad has a '69..... Sure the new ones have really pretty interiors and fancy new tech, but I wouldn't trade my "old" one for one of these "new" ones that will be all over the place.

Thanks Jeff, I think you have given to me the true reason, why I should keep it... Now I will have to find someone who will sell me a new sealed 10129 - I have sold it few weeks ago what was a big mistake... ? Or to trade one for a sealed 10019...

1 minute ago, mauro23 said:

Thanks Jeff, I think you have given to me the true reason, why I should keep it... Now I will have to find someone who will sell me a new sealed 10129 - I have sold it few weeks ago what was a big mistake... 1f620.png Or to trade one for a sealed 10019...

Did your sale work out OK? With that money you can get another new one cheaper down the line,

6 minutes ago, Sandwraith said:

I think it depends person to person. I personally wouldn't be able to stand having that many models on display in my small condo, but if i had a whole empty room maybe. Even so i take the "less is more" approach to displaying my sets. I like to have a handful out on display as to not make the place look cluttered and overwhelming. I don't see the desire to own both 10179 and 75192 and display them together no, but to each their own!

That is really true, I can remember a picture of a man with the most built LEGO Sets ever (around 1200) - it was horrible, all these baeatiful sets from different themes displayed one beside the other without any space, a lot of aesthetics is lost in such a case...

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Did your sale work out OK? With that money you can get another new one cheaper down the line,

You mean the Falcon? No, because this a..hole has not paid for it - he has bought another 3 expensive sets from me, one on another account. As this guy has 1065 feedback I have written to him that he will never ever sell anything on this account, and I keep my promises... 

Currently I can sell it at 2000 Euro locally but as you can see above the chance has decreased nw that I will do that... ;-)

Edited by mauro23

38 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

You mean the Falcon? No, because this a..hole has not paid for it - he has bought another 3 expensive sets from me, one on another account. As this guy has 1065 feedback I have written to him that he will never ever sell anything on this account, and I keep my promises... 

Currently I can sell it at 2000 Euro locally but as you can see above the chance has decreased nw that I will do that... ;-)

Oh, dude wht about second best offer?

4 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

...has not answered to my offer. (I mean in someone's other eyes it must have looked as a friend of mine woudl have  fingers in the bidding game...)

Yes, it looks bad from their point of view and the worst thing is you have now missed the sales window.

Pragmatically, if you are not interested in building it or keeping it long term, it´s best to sell for 2k or whatever now as the value will only decrease  if it is not one of the first edition ones.

9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Yes, it looks bad from their point of view and the worst thing is you have now missed the sales window.

Pragmatically, if you are not interested in building it or keeping it long term, it´s best to sell for 2k or whatever now as the value will only decrease  if it is not one of the first edition ones.

Yes, believe me,  my email to this user was really not nice at all. I know that someone can be involved in an accident etc. but these days he's got some positve feedback from other users, so no chance that he was not able to fulfill the transaction... I believe that he has simply noticed that there will be a new Falcon around in few weeks...

But also in this case he could still buy the other 3 sets (all together 1000 Euro) and send me a lot of apologizes, then I would be still angry but could live with it...

Regarding 10179 itself, I have not bought it for investment purpose but for collection reason. But with all these remakes (Red-5, Snowspeeder and now Falcon) I am really not more sure if I should collect only the new remakes or also keep the old sets...

Edited by mauro23

3 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Yes, believe me,  my email to this user was really not nice at all. I know that someone can be involved in an accident etc. but these days he's got some positve feedback from other users, so no chance that he was not able to fulfill the transaction... I believe that he has simply noticed that there will be a new Falcon around in few weeks...

But also in this case he could still buy the other 3 sets (all together 1000 Euro) and send me a lot of apologizes, then I would be still angry but could live with it...

Regarding 10179 itself, I have not bought it for investment purpose but for collection reason. But with all these remakes (Red-5, Snowspeeder and now Falcon) I am really not more sure if I should collect only the new remakes or also keep the old sets...

Oh so all those other auctions that ended the same night were also his as NPB? That sucks even worse.

Maybe you should just go the @Ed Mack route and keep it in storage. Things could get crazy durign TLJ fever and if the new one sells out again......

Or wait till the new own retires!

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Oh so all those other auctions that ended the same night were also his as NPB? That sucks even worse.

Maybe you should just go the @Ed Mack route and keep it in storage. Things could get crazy durign TLJ fever and if the new one sells out again......

Or wait till the new own retires!

2 other I have sold on the same day were also his as NPB -> 10178 and 10198, on the other account 150 Euro for a PotC set already 3 days earlier...

But after this has happened, I have decided to keep my Star Wars D2C collection... (Or to rebuy the few sold sets from this theme at the same day):

https://brickset.com/sets/tag-D2c/theme-Star-Wars

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Can´t have been just the remake thing if he didn´t pay for those other sets. Maybe just a time waster - 3k looked to good to be true and it was.

With a positive feedback over 1000???? But I have also found some "positive" feedback mentioned that he has not paid for an article... 

Just now, mauro23 said:

With a positive feedback over 1000???? But I have also found some "positive" feedback mentioned that he has not paid for an article... 

When you can´t neg a buyer, sometimes a lot of false positives are the only solution - if you look at the comments.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 8:30 PM, Val-E said:

Now that the dust has settled and 75192 is becoming available outside SAH, what is the effect on 10179? Have prices dropped much? Is anyone still hanging on to new ones?

Seems that these are going for 1.5K USD new and sealed and about half of that used with box and all parts. That´s a pretty major haircut but it´s still very reasonable money considering the new one is superior and easier to find at discount now.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Seems that these are going for 1.5K USD new and sealed and about half of that used with box and all parts. That´s a pretty major haircut but it´s still very reasonable money considering the new one is superior and easier to find at discount now.

I actually prefer 10179 over 75192 and I think the new one will never reach 1.5x RRP. Star Wars is done IMHO.