10179 - UCS: Millennium Falcon

Ed Mack

I think it will.  $5k is only 10 times retail and almost a dozen sets have already reached that.

The threat of a remake is there, though I think low.  We have the current 7965 set which is a very good version itself.  The remake of the X-Wing is also a little different as it's a different model of the X-Wing, the "Red-five".  There is only one Falcon.

If Lego does a remake, you can bet your MF it won't be as spectacular as the original. With Lego's Star Wars pricing these days, a 5k piece set would probably retail for $650. I can't see that happening. Either they'll do a straight re-release of the same model, or it won't be as good, or they won't do it all.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the MF to appear prominently in the new trilogy. Abrams has already said he will be approaching it with a fresh start, like he did for Star Trek. Obviously there shouldn't be any "sliding doors" moments but you never know especially with returning cast members.

I don't think Lego will ever again do a straight up re-release. A complete redesign, yes, but not a flat out re-release like what they did with the Legends so long ago. It will be some years before another Millennium Falcon comes around let alone a Ultimate Collector Series one. It will happen I'm sure but not for quite a while.

And if Michael Bay was directing, you wouldn't see it because five seconds couldn't go by without something blowing up to kingdom come.

Incorrect. Attempting creativity, Michael Bay will also use excessive lense flare, meaning only every second explosion will be seen. You will definitely hear the kaboom though.

I don't see the UCS MF approaching anywhere near $5000 anytime soon.  The reason for that is people can download the instructions and Bricklink all the parts much more cheaply.  You could argue it wouldn't be the "real" thing, but unless someone asks to see the box, who would know?  So there's that...

Also, I doubt Lego would rerelease another UCS Falcon anyway.  Sure they just redid the UCS X-Wing, but how long an interval was that?  Something like 12 years?  Plus that's the only UCS that has thus far been 2.0'd.  In a couple of years we'll have sequel SW Lego sets, so they'll be busy doing new ships for quite a while yet...

The growth hasn't even begun to slow yet.  It will slow, but it won't stop completely.  It's only 5.5 times retail now, no problem getting to 10.  At the current growth rate it will get there in just 27 months.  I predict 3 years and it will hit $5k no shadow of a doubt.

• 1 month later...

sorry if this has been asked before, I'm new.  I have the Lego Star Wars Falcon 10179 still in the original shipping box from Amazon.  Two questions.

1.  How do I know if this is one of 10,000 w/o opening it.

2.  Is it worth more keeping it in the shipping box?  

Tks,

john

• Like 1

sorry if this has been asked before, I'm new.  I have the Lego Star Wars Falcon 10179 still in the original shipping box from Amazon.  Two questions.

1.  How do I know if this is one of 10,000 w/o opening it.

2.  Is it worth more keeping it in the shipping box?  

Tks,

john

Taking it out of the shipping box will have no effect on value whatsover.........there is a logo on the front bottom left of the box that will designate if it is a first run or not. The certificate for the 1st runs is inside the set box and that will tell you the number .