FedEx and UPS dimensional weight size, shipping and rate discussion

Dimensional pricing: A gift from FedEx and UPS to the United States Postal Service.

Think of it as charity work for the usps lol

These changes are the reason why I haven't posted much for sale. Which really sucks as I want to get stuff moving.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

Eesh...Yoyo's shipping costs probably just shot up about 900%.

These costs will just get passed along to the consumers in the end, but it will probably take awhile for it to roll downhill and we'll eat the costs in the meantime.

I'll be using USPS whenever possible going forward.

There rates don't apply to big companies they have contracts where they get massive massive discounts. I'm just guessing here based on some evidence but it costs Amazon about 2 dollars to ship a tower bridge to you. Let me know when you get charged that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

There rates don't apply to big companies they have contracts where they get massive massive discounts. I'm just guessing here based on some evidence but it costs Amazon about 2 dollars to ship a tower bridge to you. Let me know when you get charged that.

Niko does it for free...Amazon who?

One of my best friends works for a computer company. He told me they are very likely to be switching from ups to usps because the prices are just redunk. Says he is seeing around a 30% increase.

I'd like to think FedEx and ups would go back but I csnt imagine they just changed things on the fly with out doing research and such. Maybe this will bring DHL or another company back into the game....

Maybe OnTrac will go national now?

I agree I need to start doing that now I always liked having the badge for free shipping but that'll change.

Give it a month, once everyone realizes prices have shot up, overall prices will be adjusted and free shipping can be offered again.

A part of me feels bad for you guys and a part of me doesn't. This seems to be bringing your shipping costs (at least for big items) more inline with what we've been paying in Canada all along. It costs $28 to ship a Fire Brigade with tracking and insurance. It's around $12 for a single Research Institute. The cheapest tracked option (even for a padded envelope) is about $11. It can get more expensive to ship from one end to the other, but I'm in the middle so my costs are pretty consistent.

When I buy from the US, I always requested USPS as FedEx and UPS charge brokerage fees to do your customs paperwork.

This is good news for Canadian sellers. :)

Give it a month, once everyone realizes prices have shot up, overall prices will be adjusted and free shipping can be offered again.

Very wishful thinking. Like I said it's not like ups woke up one day and decided let's change our rates.

Research was done. They are making more money now. Why in the world would they go back. Cause little me or you have to pay more money to ship a Legos et. They don't care. Why would they.

They care amount business accounts. I used to work for ups. I know a little bit not a lot but enough to understand how they operate on some things.

Edited by hxckid88

A part of me feels bad for you guys and a part of me doesn't. This seems to be bringing your shipping costs (at least for big items) more inline with what we've been paying in Canada all along. It costs $28 to ship a Fire Brigade with tracking and insurance. It's around $12 for a single Research Institute. The cheapest tracked option (even for a padded envelope) is about $11. It can get more expensive to ship from one end to the other, but I'm in the middle so my costs are pretty consistent.

When I buy from the US, I always requested USPS as FedEx and UPS charge brokerage fees to do your customs paperwork.

This is good news for Canadian sellers. :)

Higher shipping prices are bad for all sellers.  If this works for Fedex in the US, then it increases the possibility of rolling it out in Canada.

Very wishful thinking. Like I said it's not like ups woke up one day and decided let's change our rates.

Research was done. They are making more money now. Why in the world would they go back. Cause little me or you have to pay more money to ship a Legos et. They don't care. Why would they.

They care amount business accounts. I used to work for ups. I know a little bit not a lot but enough to understand how they operate on some things.

I believe LegoManiacc is saying that sellers who offer free shipping will eventually increase their buy it now prices to match the increase in shipping.  I agree that Fedex and UPS won't drop their price.  I don't think I've ever seen an instance of any shipping service actually dropping their price.

Higher shipping prices are bad for all sellers.  If this works for Fedex in the US, then it increases the possibility of rolling it out in Canada.

Do you ever use FedEx in Canada? I always ship Canada Post and they seem to use a hybrid of dimensional already with all their "must be less than Xcm total" restrictions for different shipping options (especially to the US). When I print labels for Expedited Shipping through PayPal, the dimensions of the box affect the rate whereas tinkering with changes to the weight seem to make zero difference (unless it's big changes such as multiple pounds).

Maybe long term they'll adjust, but I don't see it for 2015. Canada Post moves slowly.

So are you saying Fedex and UPS are intentionally pricing the little guys out of using their services ?  In that case, they are successful as I am team USPS from this point forward :)

• Like 1

Do you ever use FedEx in Canada? I always ship Canada Post and they seem to use a hybrid of dimensional already with all their "must be less than Xcm total" restrictions for different shipping options (especially to the US). When I print labels for Expedited Shipping through PayPal, the dimensions of the box affect the rate whereas tinkering with changes to the weight seem to make zero difference (unless it's big changes such as multiple pounds).

Maybe long term they'll adjust, but I don't see it for 2015. Canada Post moves slowly.

I usually sell one item a month to a Canadian address and I use Fedex Ground as it has always been cheaper or the same price and 3 days faster.  Our company only uses Fedex for outgoing packages as they have the best pricing structure.

That's just my experience though, YEMV haha ;)

I just shipped a 17lb 26x20x10 package priority mail for just under $12 with the ebay discount (not including extras like insurance or signature confirmation).  It wasn't across the country, so not sure how much it would be right now to ship a few zones away.

Looks like I'm on Team USPS as well.

Edited by naf

I believe LegoManiacc is saying that sellers who offer free shipping will eventually increase their buy it now prices to match the increase in shipping.  I agree that Fedex and UPS won't drop their price.  I don't think I've ever seen an instance of any shipping service actually dropping their price.

USPS dropped several prices in September. 

I believe LegoManiacc is saying that sellers who offer free shipping will eventually increase their buy it now prices to match the increase in shipping.

Correct, it's all passed along eventually, just a matter of waiting until everyone is back on the same page.

Edited by LegoManiacc

Yeah I assume prices are going to come up om the sellers sides. Same thing, the end user pays for the increased costs. I'm going to wait it out for the time being. Maybe if those companies lose enough business then they will reevaluate their business plan. Like I said, more money for usps to help bail them out!

Is FED EX's SMARTPOST considered Ground? My experiences on E-Bay is that FED EX Smartpost is the cheapest way to ship stuff these days when it gets into the 2lb range...

Smart post is considered ground but also its own category in that fedex transports it ground to location city then USPS delivers it to destination from there. Not really sure how it is actually cheaper that way, but on most deliveries it is cheaper (at least thru ebay it is).

Smart post is considered ground but also its own category in that fedex transports it ground to location city then USPS delivers it to destination from there. Not really sure how it is actually cheaper that way, but on most deliveries it is cheaper (at least thru ebay it is).

It is cheap because that's the cost for Fedex to send your package to the local PO.  USPS then handle the mailing using their PARCEL service (ie. the slowest poorly handled service).  I strongly recommend AGAINST using Parcel Select to send anything valuable.

Edited by Darth_Raichu

I have shipped large sets USPS before. The prices were insane.  If they are the cheapest option for large sets now that's bad.

Guess I can just stop doing free shipping or only provide free shipping in my zone.

Edited by mscheaf
  • Like 1